Carbon Wheels - The Truth!!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

krtassoc

by krtassoc

Carbon Wheels - The Truth!!!

https://youtu.be/ET1jRVynOBA?t=1m17s

Mackers

by Mackers

It only took me thirty seconds to realize I wasn't ready for the truth.

That was incredibly boring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

To save you 20 minutes of your life, allow me to summarize;

1st 3 minutes = if you buy Chinese carbon rims the quality is variable

Mid 10 minutes = carbon tubs are far better for braking on long descents than clinchers. Many examples of overheated and damaged clincher rims.

13 - 16 minutes = yes you can repair some carbon rims

16 - 20 minutes = disc brakes offer better modulation than rim brakes.

Most likely nothing you didn't already know, although at least the guy is clearly knowledgable and speaks well!

Stueys

by Stueys

I found it interesting, didn't learn anything new (other than a bit more confidence in carbon repairs) but it was presented in an interesting way.

IMHO I think the clincher thing is overplayed. Sure the margin of error is lower than Alu or tubs but, as long as you ride in a way that recognizes that, the newer designs have come a long way.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Stueys wrote:I found it interesting, didn't learn anything new (other than a bit more confidence in carbon repairs) but it was presented in an interesting way.

IMHO I think the clincher thing is overplayed. Sure the margin of error is lower than Alu or tubs but, as long as you ride in a way that recognizes that, the newer designs have come a long way.

Whilst working as a guide, I had to descend the Ventoux and the Alpe d'Huez after Tour de France stages. Both were 30'C hot.

The traffic and congestion was so bad that you have no choice but to descend on the brakes. Needless to say my wheels got very hot - (Lightweight Meilenstein tubs). I couldn't stop and let cool as I had to stay with the clients.

On both occasions the front tub itself 'blistered' - it got a bulge in it, meaning that although rideable it eventually had to be replaced. The wheels were fine.

Had they been clinchers I think the rims would have been trashed.

justaute

by justaute

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You forgot the relevance of spokes and hub design for the wheels stiffness. Also that after sweetspot tension of spokes, it's does not contribute to stiffness gains anymore.
He also mentions that rims is not "really" what makes the wheel stiff. It has more to do with spokes and hubs design.

Alot of bla bla bla here, but also food for thoughts...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spartan

by spartan

german tour mag does the industry's most brutal brake test. some manufacturer's are too scared to send wheels for testing. (specialized roval's come to mind. in the cycling maven video there is one displayed)

here is the thread . buy the issue to learn more instead of making assumptions . reality vs assumptions

viewtopic.php?f=113&t=140537
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think the biggest takeaway, and again nothing new, is that with no-name stuff you simply DO NOT know what you're getting. They may be using one carbon from one supplier one day, and different carbon from another supplier the next day, and the same goes for resins and even layups. And you also don't know what quality control is being applied. That's "variability" to the extreme. You just don't know.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

There's a dedicated thread for this?! I must have been following the wrong thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92907&start=90

If you think this guy is a genius just hang your carbon wheels and call it a day. Go back to aluminum or upgrade to disc.
This clip is like infomercial with topic "The Truth..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

eeefn7

by eeefn7

cyclespeed wrote:To save you 20 minutes of your life, allow me to summarize;

1st 3 minutes = if you buy Chinese carbon rims the quality is variable

Mid 10 minutes = carbon tubs are far better for braking on long descents than clinchers. Many examples of overheated and damaged clincher rims.

13 - 16 minutes = yes you can repair some carbon rims

16 - 20 minutes = disc brakes offer better modulation than rim brakes.

Most likely nothing you didn't already know, although at least the guy is clearly knowledgable and speaks well!

thanks!!

F45

by F45

The wondrous thing of being part of using rims from a branded Chinese maker is the amazing good pleasure of taking apart in their beta testing during use of their products. They are always improving and using you for great knowledge. Buy Chinese, create your wonderful life.

AJS914

by AJS914

:D The real truth is that a $2000 set of wheels is a big waste of money for 99.9% of riders...

Bogan

by Bogan

Yep, $2k wheels are probably a waste of money for most, but I am having fun learning to build them!
This is the second place on WW I have seen these videos linked. I have also seen them on 2 other cycling related FB sites. I am no expert, but I thought most of this was fairly common knowledge and had been for several years.

I always feel like when I see these videos from particular individuals, that it is just click-bait. YMMV.
MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

AJS914 wrote::D The real truth is that a $2000 set of wheels is a big waste of money for 99.9% of riders...

You're being too modest. The real truth is buying anything is a big waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com