replace standard SRAM red 10sp rear der with 10sp red wifli?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorthings

by motorthings

i'm scrawny, live in the mountains, ride a cdale evo with compact SRAM red exogram crank with 11-28 cassette, and have a standard SRAM red 10sp rear der
chain length is set per spec from sram and checked at big big and small small to be within limits

a couple of things make me wonder if switching to a wifli rear der is a good idea:
1. sometimes when i'm in the small ring and towards the 11t cog on the cassette, the chain rides off the rear der pulley (until i shift up a few gears easier and get it back on track.) Other than this issue, the shifting is great, and this does not seem to be an issue with cable tension, b-screw settings, alignment etc
2. i may want to toss on a cassette up to 32t when i make my assault on pikes peak, and know i am the limits on the std rear der.

is there any drawback to swapping over the the wifli flavor, and/or maybe a benefit of not getting the chain getting off the pulley as often?

steventran

by steventran

I'm curious what others say about the chain coming off. It's very strange if that occurs and it's not a cable, b-screw, or alignment issue.

The only drawback I can think of switching over to wifli for occasional use of a 32t is having to adjust the chain (add/remove links or separate chain altogether).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

If you put the wifli derailleur on and size the chain for the 32t cog you don't need a shorter chain when going to a smaller cassette.

The chain coming off the pulley is an adjustment problem (assuming the pulley is not damaged and chain and cassette are compatible).

You almost certainly can use a 30t cog with your current derailleur. I've done it with Red2012 for extreme climbing races.
Shimano makes an ultegra 12-30 in 10sp. You can make it an 11-30 by adding an 11t and removing an inner cog.

motorthings

by motorthings

steventran wrote:I'm curious what others say about the chain coming off. It's very strange if that occurs and it's not a cable, b-screw, or alignment issue.

i could be wrong about it being an alignment issue, it's just that the shifting is otherwise very good (and i am super fussy about the action of shifting). I just replaced my cables and housings, and the issue persists exactly the same. i set the rear der up according to specs in the instructions.

i am using a DA 7900 cassette, but don't know if that could cause the pulley issue....any ideas of what to check/fix?

motorthings

by motorthings

eric wrote:If you put the wifli derailleur on and size the chain for the 32t cog you don't need a shorter chain when going to a smaller cassette.

The chain coming off the pulley is an adjustment problem (assuming the pulley is not damaged and chain and cassette are compatible).

You almost certainly can use a 30t cog with your current derailleur. I've done it with Red2012 for extreme climbing races.
Shimano makes an ultegra 12-30 in 10sp. You can make it an 11-30 by adding an 11t and removing an inner cog.

thanks for the info! any ideas on what to check that might cause my current issue would be appreciated...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have the same problem occasionally (Red 22) with the chain seeming to slip off the bottom jockey wheel and run along the edge of the cage. This only happens in the 11 tooth cog and only when running high cadence with a decent level of power. Typically situations where I am rushing the bottom of a steep climb and don't want to be in the big ring. As I shift to the 12 or 13 it sorts itself out. It is a very mysterious problem. My drive train is perfectly set up. Bought a new different frame and the problem is noticeably better but still there. It must be a combination of the chain line and the Red jockey wheel's poor ability to hold the chain.

What I can tell you about wifli is that everything to do with the chain will be better. The better management of tension just makes for better overall performance of the drive chain. I have medium cage derailleur on my travel bike (10 speed Red) and it has been great.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

motorthings

by motorthings

Mr.Gib wrote:I have the same problem occasionally (Red 22) with the chain seeming to slip off the bottom jockey wheel and run along the edge of the cage. This only happens in the 11 tooth cog and only when running high cadence with a decent level of power. Typically situations where I am rushing the bottom of a steep climb and don't want to be in the big ring. As I shift to the 12 or 13 it sorts itself out. It is a very mysterious problem. My drive train is perfectly set up. Bought a new different frame and the problem is noticeably better but still there. It must be a combination of the chain line and the Red jockey wheel's poor ability to hold the chain.

What I can tell you about wifli is that everything to do with the chain will be better. The better management of tension just makes for better overall performance of the drive chain. I have medium cage derailleur on my travel bike (10 speed Red) and it has been great.

Exactly my experience, thanks for the confirmation! i'll try the wifli.

Rick

by Rick

Have you guys checked your derailleur hanger alignment ?

It seems like the small-small combination has more problems with alignment than bib-big, so I deliberately set my hanger alignment so the hanger is tilted in slightly and pointed a little more towards the small chainring (while staying within the recommended tolrance for "aligned") If I remember correctly it is about 1mm at the end of the Park alignment tool arm.

I am running the Force Wyfli derailleur with an 11-32 on an otherwise RED setup, but with Redd 22 cranks. It may be a little different on 11 speed ? But I never have that problem and I cross-chain a lot.

motorthings

by motorthings

Rick wrote:Have you guys checked your derailleur hanger alignment ?

not recently, but probably should...thanks!

Marin

by Marin

I run *short cage* Aeroglide Red rear derailleurs with 11-32 Red 11sp cassettes on 2 bikes (Road Logic & FM066) without problems.

I can use all gears, but chain tension is on the low side when shifting small/small, which I never do. Large/large works fine, and I occasionally use it.

Marin

by Marin

I run *short cage* Aeroglide Red rear derailleurs with 11-32 Red 11sp cassettes on 2 bikes (Road Logic & FM066) without problems.

50/34 Rotor oval and 46/34 round chainrings respectively. Used to be 50/34 on both bikes.

I can use all gears, but chain tension is on the low side when shifting small/small, which I never do. Large/large works fine, and I occasionally use it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com