SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

jimaizumi wrote:Seems the drain on the battery is extremely heavy when paired with the garmin.

I'm not surprised - same happens with Di2 when using the D-Fly unit. It's an extra bit of back-and-forth communication for the electronics and battery to keep up with, so it's only to be expected that it'll drain the battery quicker IMO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

A bit more with e-tap than six months, a year in fact.
Generally speaking, great stuff. Quick, precise all the time in different weather conditions.
Battery (Edge 810, so no extra battery drain) no issue whatsoever, I charge my mobile on daily basis, so two batteries about once a month does not create any headaches for me.
The only thing which is slightly letting the whole experience down is the level of effort required to set up FD. Which diminishes the whole concept of quick set up. I wanted to swap e-tap to different frame for a while, but knowing how much faffing around was required to make FD working properly I gave up.

survivor

by survivor

Anyone can share experience pairing eTap with elliptical (oval) chainring? Just curious how the eTaP front derailleur performs.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

1415chris wrote:The only thing which is slightly letting the whole experience down is the level of effort required to set up FD. Which diminishes the whole concept of quick set up. I wanted to swap e-tap to different frame for a while, but knowing how much faffing around was required to make FD working properly I gave up.

Never been an issue for me - switched it across 5 bikes in the last 9 months and the front mech setup has been a breeze every time.

sp3000

by sp3000

Is anyone using the sram chain spotter on the FD? Does it come with the FD?

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Not needed - just set the mech up properly and the chain won't drop.

vertr

by vertr

survivor wrote:Anyone can share experience pairing eTap with elliptical (oval) chainring? Just curious how the eTaP front derailleur performs.

I'm using an absolute black 36T ring just on the inside and it works fine. Maybe a touch slower than a round ring.

Shrike

by Shrike

survivor wrote:Anyone can share experience pairing eTap with elliptical (oval) chainring? Just curious how the eTaP front derailleur performs.

I have a QXL 36 inner and Q 52 outer. (S5, Rotor 3D+)

Still haven't managed to get it perfect. It will miss shifts occasionally going into the big ring. Need to shift sloooowww. Going to have another proper go this weekend but getting it absolutely perfect, i.e. no rub at both extreme cross chaining positions and shifting smoothly 100% of the time isn't actually that easy I'm finding.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I don't understand why people feel the need for things to work 100% in cross-chain positions - it should be an emergency option and nice-to-have at best; and regardless of whether or not stuff is supposed to work in those positions it's asking for your chain and cassette to wear much quicker.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Shrike, we have exactly the same setups. The only time I can miss the front up shift is when I do not turn the crank in the same time when shifting is initiated.
It's how this FD works, the cage overshifts first and then moves back a little. So if you miss the time when it overshifts, then you will be struggling to engage bigger ring.
It terms of cross chaining, big-biggest (28) there is no cage rubbing, although the chain itself due to being in quite big angle, makes a bit of noise.
In small- 11 and 12 chain position, it starts rubbing bigger ring.

Shrike

by Shrike

@Chris, going to have another shot at it. Get it on the trainer and see, mad windy here today. Would be nice it's just my timing with the cranks.

bbqpork

by bbqpork

I haven't had my etap for very long and too got the upgrade kit.
Currently runnung a Quarq Red22, KMC X11SL chain, and an Ultegra 6800 11-28 cassette.
While I do feel the RD shifting slow, would switching to a 1170 Cassette, Red22, or DA9000 imporve the shifting?

jlok

by jlok

Switched from R785 + 6870 to eTap HRD.

FD seems less powerful but there's no problem so far. Not sure about the difference of RD... but apparently I miss the psycho shift function of Di2. I hope SRAM could copy it.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Ride my Sram eTap since aug.2016 and still perfect. I still use a 0.8mm spacer behind my cassette to prevent the rear derailleur touching the spokes. Shifting and braking is great - gear info on the Garmin 520 is 100%. Quarq dZero is a perfect tool for training - and it is just as good as the Stages on my other bike with the advantage of dual side measuring of the power output.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcgheew

by mcgheew

I thought I would be more impressed with eTAP WiFli. Was on dura ace 9000 mechanical. A hard act to follow, especially when I really really liked it a lot

The tolerances seem to be significantly more accurate for things to run quietly, particularly on my 50cm frame and because i switch out wheels and onto the ergo often.

The loudness and smoothness of shifts I've found to be inconsistent. The adjust as you go is handy but I never needed it until using eTAP. The double shift works intuitively, which was a concern for others here on WW (without even trying it). You shift with both fingers and leave the right/left pressed in until you find the gear for an extra half second. By the time you're fingers are off the levers the chain is where it needs to be. It works well.

Also shifting is slower but only when shifting across the cassette. When going from the 23 to the 17 for example, the rear derailleur wants to go to each individual position along the way. dura ace mechanical was mechanical in this effect to but it seemed faster and less deliberate and crunchy.

Perhaps I'm critical because I'm noticing everything more closer because of the change. I still like eTAP. It looks clean and is easier to maintain and is really nice to use. Maybe I've just set it up crappy too.