SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

solarider

by solarider

Maybe I have been lucky and other than following the instructions to the letter I don’t have a secret, but I have zero rub, zero mid-shifts on 2 bikes with Etap. One with 130mm spacing and rim brakes and the other with 135mm spacing and HRD so it isn’t even a chain line difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cni2i

by Cni2i

seansis wrote:Hello.
I'm looking for a new groupset to replace the old ultegra 6700.
Which one is better to buy - ultegra di2 or eTap ?

I've heard a lot of good about di 2, but I do not like their wires.
Are there any functional advantages to the eTap?

What exactly don't you like about "their wires"? Sure, takes a little more time than etap to install of course, but it's really not too bad really. Just really getting wires through the tubes and connecting, that's all. Now with everything really internal, set up is super clean too. Just my own experience.

I also like the idea of the simplicity of etap however. If I set up my second bike with electronics, I am considering etap. I would probably do Di29150 again, but my NO. 22 titanium bike wasn't set up for Di2...and I just don't want to drill the frame at this point; hence considering e tap. I am currently running DA 9000 mechanical.

Since this is WW forum, I am a bit hesitant with e tap too b/c it seems HEAVIER than 9000 mechanical (shifters and derailleurs only). I use SISL2 crankset.

etap: derailleurs and shifters: 686 g?
9000 mechanical derailleurs and shifters: 590 (but also has cables and housing...not sure approximately how much more weight that is)

D

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

Still loving my Etap on my ViAS. I rode the new Di2 Dura Ace recently and I was impressed. They made their hoods fit human hands finally. Yesterday I rode with a friend using the new Di2 Dura Ace, I was on my Etap ViAS, and I noticed how it was much louder than my Etap and I heard the servo motor with each shift. I never noticed it before, and I give another nod to Etap for being quieter than Di2.

glepore

by glepore

Cni2i wrote:
What exactly don't you like about "their wires"? Sure, takes a little more time than etap to install of course, but it's really not too bad really. Just really getting wires through the tubes and connecting, that's all. Now with everything really internal, set up is super clean too. Just my own experience.

I also like the idea of the simplicity of etap however. If I set up my second bike with electronics, I am considering etap. I would probably do Di29150 again, but my NO. 22 titanium bike wasn't set up for Di2...and I just don't want to drill the frame at this point; hence considering e tap. I am currently running DA 9000 mechanical.

Since this is WW forum, I am a bit hesitant with e tap too b/c it seems HEAVIER than 9000 mechanical (shifters and derailleurs only). I use SISL2 crankset.

9000 mechanical derailleurs and shifters: 590 (but also has cables and housing...not sure approximately how much more weight that is)

D

Doing the same because I have a steel restomod bike without di2 setup. But how is it fair to compare weights of etap to DA mechanical? Compare it to di2 or compare Sram Red mechanical to da mechanical. The motors add weight.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Imaking20

by Imaking20

It's heavier than 9150 also.

glepore

by glepore

Agreed, by about 50g if talking only about the shift group. The entire group is about 50g lighter than 9150-lighter crank, brakes and cassette. http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/216 ... m-red-etap
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

morganb

by morganb

glepore wrote:
Cni2i wrote:

D

Doing the same because I have a steel restomod bike without di2 setup. But how is it fair to compare weights of etap to DA mechanical? Compare it to di2 or compare Sram Red mechanical to da mechanical. The motors add weight.

My bike lost weight going from 9000 to 9070. The smaller weight of the shifters offset the derailleur gain.

Greenduck

by Greenduck

I've only been using SRAM eTap a few months but so far it has been great. I haven't had ANY issues so far and that's even with a Shimano Ultegra 6800 crankset. Waited for a good deal on a used SRAM Red eTap crankset and I've just found one installed it. First impression is that shifting from small to large chainring is faster on SRAM crankset.

Things I really like about the eTap system: intuitive/logical shifting, only brake cables visible for a much cleaner look, no wrong shifting when using thick winter gloves, audible and tactile feedback when shifting, interchangeable batteries. The cleaner look of the bike is actually one of my favourite things. I've been riding my bike almost everyday in the last 2 months in all kinds of weather. No adjustment needed so far. Setup the front and rear derailleur correctly and you won't have any issues. I only needed to adjust the limit screws on the FD when I installed the SRAM Red eTap crankset. A quick 2 min. operation.

Things I like less about the system: FD and RD should've been all black. That's basically it.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Greenduck wrote:
Things I like less about the system: FD and RD should've been all black. That's basically it.

Hear hear! I would love to see a complete black groupset. And maybe a bit better brakes.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

ProfessorChaos wrote:Still loving my Etap on my ViAS. I rode the new Di2 Dura Ace recently and I was impressed. They made their hoods fit human hands finally. Yesterday I rode with a friend using the new Di2 Dura Ace, I was on my Etap ViAS, and I noticed how it was much louder than my Etap and I heard the servo motor with each shift. I never noticed it before, and I give another nod to Etap for being quieter than Di2.

can you explain a bit more about 9150 hood?
is it bigger? longer? or just simply feel better for some reason?
i'm look into Ultegra r8050 vs second hand 9070. they are pretty much the same price but 9070 weight less while r8050 has the same shape as r9150. Hench my question.

morganb

by morganb

The 9070 hood shape is perfect for my hands, while the eTap hood is less comfortable but livable. I think its down to personal preference. Ten speed SRAM hoods make my hands go numb.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

9150 for me (25years with Campy...) feels very good and comfortable.
Better than 9000 series. But as always; personal taste....

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Hexsense wrote:
ProfessorChaos wrote:Still loving my Etap on my ViAS. I rode the new Di2 Dura Ace recently and I was impressed. They made their hoods fit human hands finally. Yesterday I rode with a friend using the new Di2 Dura Ace, I was on my Etap ViAS, and I noticed how it was much louder than my Etap and I heard the servo motor with each shift. I never noticed it before, and I give another nod to Etap for being quieter than Di2.

can you explain a bit more about 9150 hood?
is it bigger? longer? or just simply feel better for some reason?
i'm look into Ultegra r8050 vs second hand 9070. they are pretty much the same price but 9070 weight less while r8050 has the same shape as r9150. Hench my question.

The 9070 and 6870 hoods always felt a little small in circumference for me, and I have fairly small hands. I use an XS in just about every cycling glove I wear. The 9150 hoods have a circumference around the body of the hood that is about 1cm larger than the 9070 and give you just a little more mass to hold on to. Additionally, the hood material on the 9150 bodies is much improved vs the 9070. I always found that the two material hood on the 9070 swam around a lot on the hood and I was constantly having to re-position it into place on the hood body. The 6870 hoods were a little better in that regard being made of just a single type of rubber and being a little less malleable overall.

The 9150 Shift lever ergonomics are a vast improvement over the 9070 and 6870 in my opinion. I haven't tried them, but I would imagine the 8050 hoods carry the same shape and thus have the same improved ergonomics.

ProfessorChaos
in the industry

by ProfessorChaos

The 9150 hoods seem to feel almost as good as Sram. I've been using Sram hoods since 10sp days, and I've liked every version the 11sp, and Etap both feel great. I always found Shimano uncomfortable. The shape just never worked for me, but the new stuff is really nice, and felt good in my hands. The lever ergos do feel better. That might be why I like them. Shimano just always felt foriegn as I am so used to Sram. I did notice I was accidentially shifting with 9150 on occasion, and I never get that with etap.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

Used my eTap HRD or about 3 months. Getting the front mech setup was the hardest part, had the adjustment screw scratch up the inside of my red cranks where it was done wrong.

However installation is really super easy. The shifting is superb in use, I've never run into any issues. Battery is great.

The etap shifting with the levers is just fantastic. Although ugly the shifters are really comfy. I am a convert from Campagnolo.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk