SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

I do like the fd auto trim of etap

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Pschnei3 wrote:I do like the fd auto trim of etap

Only Shimano has true FD auto trim. It's patented by Shimano. The FD will move and position itself to avoid chain rub depending on which rear gear you're in. Sram uses a passive system called Yaw. The FD only has two positions, small or large chainrings. But the FD cage angle changes to avoid contact with the chain. This is not the same as auto trim. Shimano also has auto trim on certain rear gears such as on the 11. The derailleur will overshift and then move to the proper position one second later. I'm not sure if eTap does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

pdlpsher1 wrote:

Shimano also has auto trim on certain rear gears such as on the 11. The derailleur will overshift and then move to the proper position one second later. I'm not sure if eTap does this.

I will have to check this next time I ride. (pretty cool shimano does this. )

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

pdlpsher1 wrote:

Only Shimano has true FD auto trim. It's patented by Shimano. The FD will move and position itself to avoid chain rub depending on which rear gear you're in. Sram uses a passive system called Yaw. The FD only has two positions, small or large chainrings. But the FD cage angle changes to avoid contact with the chain. This is not the same as auto trim. Shimano also has auto trim on certain rear gears such as on the 11. The derailleur will overshift and then move to the proper position one second later. I'm not sure if eTap does this.

I have both eTap and Di2. The eTap does not (or I've never seen it) auto-trim the FD, but most certainly the Di2 does -- and it is really quite nice.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eTap will overshift about .5mm when actuating the FD, then reset to its resting position. Since eTap uses Yaw, it does not need trim at all. If you find that you have rub on your FD, it's probably because the whole derailleur has not been installed at the right angle.

Pschnei3

by Pschnei3

TobinHatesYou wrote:eTap will overshift about .5mm when actuating the FD, then reset to its resting position. Since eTap uses Yaw, it does not need trim at all. If you find that you have rub on your FD, it's probably because the whole derailleur has not been installed at the right angle.

my apologies. this is what I was thinking auto trim was on etap.

seansis

by seansis

jlok wrote:First I was a Di2 user and now a eTap user.

I love eTap for the elegance and simplicity. I couldn't miss-shift RD/FD as there's only one button per side. Paddles are bigger with more definite and assured click. Plus their hydro brake is better (the Contact Point Adjustment actually work; hoods texture and shape are more ergonomic).

I liked Di2 for the relatively long battery life (I shift a lot to maintain cadence, eTap RD battery lasted 6xx km only), and the syncho shift was actually quite good (I configured the Di2 shifting like eTap, left hand easy right hand hard, but with syncho shift the FD will shift to avoid cross chaining).

eTap is a keeper for me. You will have to judge for yourself.

Thanks!

I read that the di2 has some buttons for different driving conditions. Etap does not have it. How important are these buttons?

jlok

by jlok

For my use case I don't care the hood button, which could control Garmin Edge (e.g. changing the info page). They are nice to have, but not deal breaker for me.

Both eTap and Di2 price are now close to reasonable. I think you won't go wrong with either one, u just adapt to it. I'd say u should consider ergonomic above all. Whatever fits your hands is the best. just my 2cents.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

jlok

by jlok

ah... yes this is true. and the FD feels stronger than SRAM FD.

but lukily i had my etap setup by LBS, who did the job very very well and made front shifting doing quite well. I can't remember any FD cage noise on my eTap.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

seansis

by seansis

Garmin edge 810 will show chainrings and cassette when i go to the Etap?

seansis

by seansis

I have an old power meter quarq riken 10r (10 speed)
will it work properly with Sram red eTap?

1415chris

by 1415chris

It may have changed since I switched to Wahoo couple months ago, 810 did not support e-tap.
Answering your second question, I cannot see any reason why it wouldn't work.

seansis

by seansis

Thank you!

I read that there is a difference between 10 high-speed and 11 speed chainrings.
perhaps normally worked mechanical groups, but how with electronic will work, I do not know.
I have rings without technology "Yaw"
Etap initially comes with this technology.
that is the question.
Last edited by seansis on Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Why don't you just get some new 11-speed rings?

I'm on Di2 11-speed but I use 10-speed rings because they are quite a bit cheaper than 11-speed rings. It works just fine.

seansis

by seansis

pdlpsher1 wrote:Why don't you just get some new 11-speed rings?

I'm on Di2 11-speed but I use 10-speed rings because they are quite a bit cheaper than 11-speed rings. It works just fine.

is the distance between the rings the same?

If the same, then I can buy rings for 11 speeds, but I do not know if they will work well on my old quarq riken.

But theme goes outside...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com