SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

moonoi

by moonoi

I had the problem with the chain dropping off the outside, in the end I found my LBS had installed the chainrings incorrectly on my Red Quarq power meter crankset, since correcting this I no longer have the problem.

Oh and it connects to my 820 without issue and displays all kinds of useless information I didn't know I needed ;) it truely is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bungis

by bungis

moonoi wrote:Oh and it connects to my 820 without issue and displays all kinds of useless information I didn't know I needed ;) it truely is awesome!

That reminds me, is there a reason why SRAM didn't include an extra button in the shifters to change head unit screens like 9070 has? Apparently they're already talking to each other, give us a button.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

As soon as the shifters go in sleep mode you lose the gearing display. Oddly enough when I coast (I have a Quark as well) it wakes up the communication and I get gear display sometimes even if I don't shift. I still need more time to figure out which circumstances make the display turn on and which make it sleep. I know the majority of the time I rode so far the gearing display didn't read.

I think this feature needs some time to be improved.

Wormiez

by Wormiez

Just wondering how is the Garmin integration with Etap in showing battery and gear.

ergott

by ergott

All I see is a basic "battery" bar that indicates charge. I have to dig into the menus to see if that's overall or the charge of the weakest battery or something else. I think it's easier to just preemptively charge the battery every two months or so.

PinaRene

by PinaRene

ergott wrote:All I see is a basic "battery" bar that indicates charge. I have to dig into the menus to see if that's overall or the charge of the weakest battery or something else. I think it's easier to just preemptively charge the battery every two months or so.

I think it must be the weakest battery - personally I would charge the batteries every 1000 Km - just did mine last night. About the Garmin that doesn't show the gears all the time is annoying. Must be something that could be seen all the time on the display.

I ride with the Sram eTap now since 6 weeks and it is great. Shifting is great - as fast as my Ultegra Di2 that I had before ( SW1.0 - never upgraded ) so now I have multiple shifting, and lost almost 300grams. The first few ride I had some drivetrain noise on the big ring/high gears , but adjusting the rear derailleur while it was on tension on the big cog helped me a lot. It seems it gets a bit more further to the spoke side while on tension.

Now the noise is gone - shifting works perfect with a KMC X11 SL chain and Ultegra 11-28 cassette. I bought the eTap upgrade set - brakes and now waiting for the new Quarq DZero Red crankset I've ordered this week.

snowdevlin

by snowdevlin

Will looking to upgrade to electronic, would love going etap as I have red 22, but I'm sold on the "synchro shift" provided by new shimano di2.
Do you think we can expect anytime soon for Sram to do the same?

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

So I have been reading about the long FD limiting screws issue and I decided to reach out to SRAM to inquire if they have a shorter one. They did but asked me to go through my LBS/Store to get one. So I contacted CompetitiveCylist where I bought my eTap and asked them to get it for me. I received both the UPPER and LOWER screws today. Not that I need it but I see that it's really close as well and I have a scratch on the crank arm when it was first installed.

UPDATE: So I was wondering if these are really the shorter screws. It looks pretty long to me. Also I know that one of the (upper?) limiting screw is reverse threaded and the thread looks the same to me. I don't want to mess up my current set-up so I sent email inquiry to SRAM.

Last edited by TarugoKing on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyanH

by RyanH

Juanmoretime wrote:Has anyone used Etap with a ten speed cassette locking out a gear with the limit screw?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WAZDMUL6vY

I don't think it's advised though as it probably puts stress on the motor.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

TarugoKing wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:Additionally, blip switches seems to be a good option for sprinters/climbers. And upcoming updates will make eTap display its status on Garmin. Awesome!

If you have 520/1000, it should be available already. I'm actually considering getting the 520.

https://www.sram.com/stories/sram-red-e ... 0-and-1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byKvkf2ZNyU

I should give you a credit for reminding me of this.

I had my Garmin 520 updated, and had it sync with eTap.

The, Garmin started displaying gear ratio.

Also, if battery gets weaker, the gear ratio on Garmin will display 0/0 repeatedly.

I think this could prevent that bettery dies while riding.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

SAIKOULOGY

by SAIKOULOGY

has anyone use the upgrade kit with Cannondale Spiderrings? any problem of chain dropping out of the big ring say 50? Wanna get one for xmas and not sure if I should get the crank aswell

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Should be fine as long as it is setup correctly - spiderrings are no different from any other non-SRAM chainring in that respect.

dlcrep

by dlcrep

I'm running Dura-Ace 9000 50/34 Compact on my eTap for few months now and it shifts really well. Seems like eTap was designed around a mid-compact or larger as the tallest compact tooth sits about 1-2mm below the indicator. Have not dropped a chain or ran into shifting issues, in fact, it shifts better than the full 9000 mech setup.

rmr40

by rmr40

ammasweat wrote:
poppiholla wrote:Yesterday I had also some issues with the chain dropping when shifting in the front from 34-50 when the chain is in the middle of the cassette. It goes fine but suddenly it drops because of the overshift of the FD. The FD limit screws are set ok, but I can't figure out why it happens. The drive train noise increases when the Cage is installed lower and is less when the cage is installed higher, but then the chain will drop of the big chain ring very easily and suddenly. Etap works flawless on the back, but i have issues with the Front derailleur. ;-(

Exact same problems here. I've messed about with this so much and still I'm getting the chain dropping off the outside of the big ring when shifting from small to big ring. It does seem to happen more when I'm midway up the cassette at the rear.

I've tried it with the cage absolutely within a hairs breadth of chain rub. So much so that it wouldn't upshift and so I brought it out a tiny bit so it can shift up again. Still I seem to have problems. I've tried (lots of times) micro adjusting height of the FD, and I've made tiny adjustments in and out of the FD alignment lines. I've just finished another adjusting and testing session but will have to do some miles to see if I've improved the situation at all this time round.

Did you find an answer for this?

I had this issue - running hollowgram spider rings, 52/36 with intermittent chain drops - turns out I'd got the sram power link the wrong way around. Flipped it with the arrow pointing in the direction of the chain travel and the problem went away...for some reason the outside chain plate trailing edge is square rather than round. its this that catches on the FD cage and pulls the chain over the big ring and drops it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

is anyone upset sram has not released any software updated for etap. they charged quite a few dollars for the usb stick :unbelievable: mine has been gathering dust for the last six months !!
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7