SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Massim

by Massim

I have been on eTAP since March, and had an opportunity to ride the group back when it first came out for 2 months. Bar none, it's the best performing, and aesthetically pleasing group on the market IMO. The hoods are awesome for my hands, I have not had one single issue with the group since using it and am about to build my CAAD12 with yet another eTAP groupset.
Massim

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kookie

by kookie

Using eTap since the summer (now stored for the winter). Overall I am happy with it. Sure the RD is a touch slower but it's good enough for me and in fast paced group rides.

Only issue I came across was the FD comes REALLY close to the crankarm. A couple of times the cage and/or limit screw scratched the crankarm (I think the LBS wasn't careful enough when adjusting the FD). After adjustment, maybe a couple sheets of paper can fit between the FD and crankarm.

jzinckgra

by jzinckgra

TimW wrote:Used my eTap HRD or about 3 months. Getting the front mech setup was the hardest part, had the adjustment screw scratch up the inside of my red cranks where it was done wrong.

However installation is really super easy. The shifting is superb in use, I've never run into any issues. Battery is great.

The etap shifting with the levers is just fantastic. Although ugly the shifters are really comfy. I am a convert from Campagnolo.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I've used campy forever and considering going electric on next bike. I'm so used to campy, I am not sure I could get used to etap. In fast groups rides approaching a hill, I've gotten very good at dropping to small ring and skipping a couple gears in the back, all at same time. It's intuitive, tactile feedback and functional. With etap, my understanding is in order to drop to small ring you push both levers inward. If that's the case, then there would be a delay in dropping a couple gears in the back. Is this the case?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Man! I am still loving etap so much! So fun to ride and shift. Working perfectly. Di2 seems so messy and antiquated to me now with all the etube/junctions/batteries. Such trouble free gearing and battery life display to your Garmin. The whole shimano D-fly thing seems so lame. Really can't see going to any other shifting method for the remainder of my cycling years. Sram got this stuff right.

Never cheer before you know who is winning

jlok

by jlok

jzinckgra wrote:
TimW wrote:Used my eTap HRD or about 3 months. Getting the front mech setup was the hardest part, had the adjustment screw scratch up the inside of my red cranks where it was done wrong.

However installation is really super easy. The shifting is superb in use, I've never run into any issues. Battery is great.

The etap shifting with the levers is just fantastic. Although ugly the shifters are really comfy. I am a convert from Campagnolo.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
I've used campy forever and considering going electric on next bike. I'm so used to campy, I am not sure I could get used to etap. In fast groups rides approaching a hill, I've gotten very good at dropping to small ring and skipping a couple gears in the back, all at same time. It's intuitive, tactile feedback and functional. With etap, my understanding is in order to drop to small ring you push both levers inward. If that's the case, then there would be a delay in dropping a couple gears in the back. Is this the case?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
at the beginning of switching to eTap you may need to get used to the way eTap shifts.

Just tap both sides and then a few more right taps. It's far simplier to do it than to tell it... It becomes nature very quickly.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

AfromD

by AfromD

wheelbuilder wrote:Man! I am still loving etap so much! So fun to ride and shift. Working perfectly. Di2 seems so messy and antiquated to me now with all the etube/junctions/batteries. Such trouble free gearing and battery life display to your Garmin. The whole shimano D-fly thing seems so lame. Really can't see going to any other shifting method for the remainder of my cycling years. Sram got this stuff right.

I have DA 9150 DI2. Everything internal. With Sram you see batteries sticking to the components, with Shimano you see cables. You have four small batteries, I have a big one inside the bike. My brifters have 3 switches, which I can configure at will, no need to conform to what the manufacturer thinks is best. Shimano has semi-automatic shift modes. Etube is just one 3 cm bit somewhere inside my downtube, which simply is inline in a cable. Garmin shows data, and brifters can control garmin.

As I see it, both systems have their advantages in certain ways. Both probably shift reliably and very accurately. My button setup actually is pretty close to Sram. Half of my front shifts are automatic. So Sram is easier to intially install and slightly lighter. Shimano is more configurable. So I can see what you find advantageous. However, this is not unique and Di2 is not lame. :p

shotgun

by shotgun

I've been on eTap for over a year, had my first issue the night before a race. Was removing my rear wheel, and the skewer somehow hit the RD Battery and snapped off the battery tab. Was able to rush out and buy instant glue and stick the tab back. Other than that, everything works fine
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

morganb

by morganb

AfromD wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:Man! I am still loving etap so much! So fun to ride and shift. Working perfectly. Di2 seems so messy and antiquated to me now with all the etube/junctions/batteries. Such trouble free gearing and battery life display to your Garmin. The whole shimano D-fly thing seems so lame. Really can't see going to any other shifting method for the remainder of my cycling years. Sram got this stuff right.

I have DA 9150 DI2. Everything internal. With Sram you see batteries sticking to the components, with Shimano you see cables. You have four small batteries, I have a big one inside the bike. My brifters have 3 switches, which I can configure at will, no need to conform to what the manufacturer thinks is best. Shimano has semi-automatic shift modes. Etube is just one 3 cm bit somewhere inside my downtube, which simply is inline in a cable. Garmin shows data, and brifters can control garmin.

As I see it, both systems have their advantages in certain ways. Both probably shift reliably and very accurately. My button setup actually is pretty close to Sram. Half of my front shifts are automatic. So Sram is easier to intially install and slightly lighter. Shimano is more configurable. So I can see what you find advantageous. However, this is not unique and Di2 is not lame. :p

Yeah I've been running Di2 with the big buttons shifting the rear derailleur and the small buttons shifting the FD since my second or third ride on it. It works really well and makes going back and forth between eTap and Shimano more intuitive.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

had it on my road and TT bikes for about 8 months now. etap in a nutshell....

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Is... is that... are those... white people with rhythm?!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

AfromD wrote:

You know what? I pretty much agree with everything you wrote. However, since this is an etap fan boy thread, I feel perfectly ok about writing that Di2 is cluttered and d-fly is lame. I would never do this in a thread devoted to Di2 cause it would feel weird to populate a thread intended for Di2 owners when I am not running Di2. In hindsight, my post does seem a little "glowy" I got back from a great ride and was loving my bike and shifting.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

seaneT1

by seaneT1

2 months in with etap and I LOVE IT! :D
Before I was on shimano's mechanical ultegra 6800 for around 3,5 years, always had trouble with the rear derailleur not shifting correctly, even after frequent set ups, shifting would turn back to faulty gear changing in a matter of a week.Then there was the front mech...that was a mess as well, especially when I needed it the most! Had it fail on me multiple times during races....Couldn't take it anymore, so when I got a new bike frame and the problems continued,I decided that electronic is the way...first had my eye on the new Ultegra 8050 Di2, but seeing it was going to be late, since it was just released to the market at the time,I said "F*ck it, I'm getting the best I can", and went with eTap since it was around 300 euros more and was at the top level, whereas dura ace would have cost me an arm and a leg....Best decision I have ever made!!!! First of all, the way you shift is just lovely!!! I had only used shimano in the past, so in the begining I was afraid that it would take me a while to get used to sram, but no, got used to it instantly, never to this day have I gone up or down the cassete when wanting to do the opposite.As for the quallity of shifting, I did find the rear derailleur to be a little slow for my taste but got used to it, also at first, I had some serious problems with the front derailleur...wasn;t set up correctly and so it wasn't working most of the time...I was so angry that I wanted to destroy it....after 2 weeks of suffering from very bad shifting and contant set up failures, my mechanic finally set it up correctly and now it just works flawesly!!! never have I ever been able to change from small to big ring with such ease, it's AMAZING!!!! All in all, eTap so far for me is perfect, rear derailleur might need a speed boost but other than that, just perfect! every time I get to change gears, I still feel excited, even though 2 months have passed...eTap is just so cool 8) ...unlike me! :lol: :lol:
...And I haven't even mentioned about the box that it came in! :lol: :lol:

fordred

by fordred

seaneT1 wrote:2 months in with etap and I LOVE IT! :D
Before I was on shimano's mechanical ultegra 6800 for around 3,5 years, always had trouble with the rear derailleur not shifting correctly, even after frequent set ups, shifting would turn back to faulty gear changing in a matter of a week.Then there was the front mech...that was a mess as well, especially when I needed it the most! Had it fail on me multiple times during races....Couldn't take it anymore, so when I got a new bike frame and the problems continued,I decided that electronic is the way...first had my eye on the new Ultegra 8050 Di2, but seeing it was going to be late, since it was just released to the market at the time,I said "F*ck it, I'm getting the best I can", and went with eTap since it was around 300 euros more and was at the top level, whereas dura ace would have cost me an arm and a leg....Best decision I have ever made!!!! First of all, the way you shift is just lovely!!! I had only used shimano in the past, so in the begining I was afraid that it would take me a while to get used to sram, but no, got used to it instantly, never to this day have I gone up or down the cassete when wanting to do the opposite.As for the quallity of shifting, I did find the rear derailleur to be a little slow for my taste but got used to it, also at first, I had some serious problems with the front derailleur...wasn;t set up correctly and so it wasn't working most of the time...I was so angry that I wanted to destroy it....after 2 weeks of suffering from very bad shifting and contant set up failures, my mechanic finally set it up correctly and now it just works flawesly!!! never have I ever been able to change from small to big ring with such ease, it's AMAZING!!!! All in all, eTap so far for me is perfect, rear derailleur might need a speed boost but other than that, just perfect! every time I get to change gears, I still feel excited, even though 2 months have passed...eTap is just so cool 8) ...unlike me! :lol: :lol:
...And I haven't even mentioned about the box that it came in! :lol: :lol:

As cool as etap is, 6800 have been flawless to me for 2 bikes. Apart from the initial cable stretch in the first couple of weeks which requires a few clicks on the barrel adjuster, I never had to adjust anything till the cables needed changing. Front D shifting never missed a beat as well, but it does need trimming.

Sorry, had to defend 6800.

jlok

by jlok

6800 is perfectly fine tbh, just not cool, shouldn't be comparing with eTap really...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shotgun

by shotgun

seaneT1 wrote:...And I haven't even mentioned about the box that it came in! :lol: :lol:

Admittedly I like the box, BUT I did get the evil eye from my wife as I brought it into the house :wink:
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio