SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

This thread has made me realize that some people/mechanics simply don't know how to setup a group and are really splitting hairs that don't exist.

Talking with Sram engineers the "lag" in the rear shifting is microseconds. When they tested different speeds, they didn't actually tell the tester how much faster or slower it was. The testers and even pros reported no differences when the speed was moved up to be faster than DA. So a bunch of forumers claiming its slow or this or that really has me wondering how much b/s they're making up.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

the downside of the interweb

anything that once has an issue or fails is posted and reposted until it is blown out of all proportion; ill-conceived 'tests' become reference material; nonsense becomes fact

i'm off for a ride on my shiny bike, with etap, and fast/reliable shifting

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I've built 4 Etap bikes and spent a whole day riding one and i can say its an awesome groupset..
no question the Di2 has slicker shifting.. but... i wouldn't own di its dull as dish water. give me the Tap any day of the week..
in saying that though i will continue to bring out rad mods for the Di2 cause i can and that in its self is rad

:mrgreen:

poppiholla

by poppiholla

@Sugarkane: No problems with Etap and drivetrain noise on the bigring and biggest sprockets with (BB30) Sram Etap cranksets?
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Been on it since Christmas.. No turning back.. And I been on 9070 and eps... I love the blips and the sexy integrated quarq.. Looks so good..

ronderman

by ronderman

KWalker wrote:Talking with Sram engineers the "lag" in the rear shifting is microseconds. When they tested different speeds, they didn't actually tell the tester how much faster or slower it was. The testers and even pros reported no differences when the speed was moved up to be faster than DA. So a bunch of forumers claiming its slow or this or that really has me wondering how much b/s they're making up.

Saying something is slower doesn't translate to worse or mean you will ride slower - it just means not as fast.

Answer me this - with Etap how can anyone shift from the 53 down to the 39 in the front and from, say, the 23 down to the 21 or whatever in the back AT THE SAME TIME?

The answer is you can't. Not sure where you ride, but where I ride/race we do shifts like this all the time.

Hovis

by Hovis

ronderman wrote:
KWalker wrote:Answer me this - with Etap how can anyone shift from the 53 down to the 39 in the front and from, say, the 23 down to the 21 or whatever in the back AT THE SAME TIME?

The answer is you can't. Not sure where you ride, but where I ride/race we do shifts like this all the time.

Who cares? Just do one after the other. Team Katusha and Canyon/Sram are getting by just fine like this.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I thought it's possible to hold one lever to shift the back and then also tap the other side to shift the front as well?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

@ronderman, I was highly concerned about this too because there's on part of our Sunday ride where we go from 20 to 25mph to a 15% wall. However, it's not really an issue, you hold both levers to initiate the front shift then let go of the right and listen to it drop down the cogset. The entire thing takes less than 2s, maybe less, I never timed it because it worked just as well as shifting simultaneously.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KWalker

by KWalker

I do that same shift all the time.... You just press one lever slightly sooner....
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

1415chris

by 1415chris

Pressing both simultaneously and then depends where you want to go few quick cliks either left or right shifter. All that within a second. I can't see any problems with that.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I wonder if there is a measurable difference in cassette gear changes between 9070 and Etap?

I'd happily video a full gear dump from 23 to 11 and time it for 9070, assuming someone else could do the same with Etap. The cadence would have to be the same - 60?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

There is a difference and it will definitely be measurable. But does it matter?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

solarider

by solarider

Answer me this - with Etap how can anyone shift from the 53 down to the 39 in the front and from, say, the 23 down to the 21 or whatever in the back AT THE SAME TIME?

This was one thing that put me off in theory when I first heard about the system, but actually it is perfectly achievable and actually easier than Di2 or EPS in reality (I have bikes with all 3 systems, so feel fairly well placed to comment).

If you want to shift up or down the cassette, you just keep the relevant shifter depressed for multiple shifts. All you then do to shift the front simultaneously is briefly also press the other paddle at the same time. Works a treat.

So let's just cover a few points. Nobody claims Etap is better in every way. The ideal groupset would probably combine the ergonomics of EPS, the slickness of Di2 and the functionality and wireless of Etap. But in the meantime, I think that Etap represents the best balance. I had a frame built with no wire holes or cable stops, so I am fully committed to wireless, and make the most of the uncluttered aesthetic. The shifting at the back is undoubtedly a little slower, but not exactly 'go away, make a cup of tea and come back in a few minutes' slow. I haven't felt that I have missed out on a Tour de France winning break whilst waiting for it, and nor have I missed out on a lamp post race on my local club run (only one of these is true BTW!). It is still a leap forward vs manual shifting, but the wireless transmition, the shifting functionality and the ability to carry an emergency spare battery on a week long trip definitely outweigh that and swing my loyalty in favour of SRAM.

I always thought that Campagnolo looked nicer, but honestly EPS looks a bit outdated against next gen Di2 and Etap. No amount of carbon bling can detract from how exposed and unsophisticated the workings are, nor the idiosyncrasies of the installation and set up.

So, in answer to the original question, 6 months in, Etap is performing really well, and as dull as it sounds has done nothing wrong at all. It just shifts reliably, wirelessly, efficiently and intuitively every time and makes for a very neat looking set up. What more could one ask for?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gester

by gester

After 6.... hours of test, i'm fully satisfied by my new Etap coming from Campa Record 10s.

Fast, precise, extremely quiet (SRAM XG cassette and Yaban TI SL11 chain)....a real great pleasure.

Regards.