SRAM Etap. Six months in, how you getting on?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

danridesbikes

by danridesbikes

anyone know where i can get one of the shorter FD limit screws? Wiggle want me to send the front mech and cranks back

yantu

by yantu

Greenduck wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:13 pm
Does anyone else have issues with the limit-screws on the rear derailleur?

I'm using eTap with DT Swiss PRC 1400 wheels and a 11-speed SRAM cassette. The inner limit screw setting cannot be adjusted enough. Using all of the micro adjustments, men derailleur still sits 1 mm on the outside of the largest cog. And there are no spacers on the body. The derailleur has to be moved further inboard which is not possible or the cassette has to sit closer to the hub which is also not possible.

I'm almost neber using the lightest gear bust still...

What to do?
same thing happened to mine. installed a 0.5mm spacer (i think upto 1mm would be fine) between the RD and the hanger..works perfect!
btw, im using ultegra cassette...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

danridesbikes wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:45 pm
anyone know where i can get one of the shorter FD limit screws? Wiggle want me to send the front mech and cranks back
i just ground a couple of mm off the end of the screw that was too long

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Same here : Zero issues - still working perfect - 0.7mm spacer behind the cassette, otherwise the rear mech will touch the spokes with a broken chain. Problem has been mentioned in other topic. Shifting is always spot on - shifting is fast enough for this old man + there are no cables to worrie about. In combination with my Quarq D Zero it is a climbers dream - maybe I want to try the blips this summer for climbing , maybe thats the only thing I miss. :noidea:

Greenduck

by Greenduck

yantu wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:03 am
same thing happened to mine. installed a 0.5mm spacer (i think upto 1mm would be fine) between the RD and the hanger..works perfect!
btw, im using ultegra cassette...
Thanks for the answer, I will give it a go with a spacer.
Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Think 2: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=139324

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Welp, unlatched a pair of batteries today to charge them. Both had broken tabs...so that’s 3 broken tabs in 2 years of owning eTap. I have been very careful with the batteries too, never exposing them to degreasers or other cleaning agents, and always holding the battery in place while opening the latch.

commendatore

by commendatore

Anyone seen an etap rear mech start to develop play at the hanger attachment bolt? LBS has seen it on two bikes now, and mine developed a creaking noise with the movement that has so far been remedied with a liberal application of tri-flow. Still seems to shift ok, but I can see movement during shifting into the larger cogs.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 7:48 am
Welp, unlatched a pair of batteries today to charge them. Both had broken tabs...so that’s 3 broken tabs in 2 years of owning eTap. I have been very careful with the batteries too, never exposing them to degreasers or other cleaning agents, and always holding the battery in place while opening the latch.
Man that sucks. My replacements have been holding up ok so far.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

sungod

by sungod

commendatore wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 2:38 pm
Anyone seen an etap rear mech start to develop play at the hanger attachment bolt? LBS has seen it on two bikes now, and mine developed a creaking noise with the movement that has so far been remedied with a liberal application of tri-flow. Still seems to shift ok, but I can see movement during shifting into the larger cogs.
developing play on the pivot is certainly a problem with sram red (and maybe other series too), not just etap

i've had two red rear mechs go this way, and after 2+ years i can feel the early signs of it developing on my etap rd as well, very annoying

imho it's poor design, it, the softer alloy body gets worn where it pivots on the bolt, you can get a new bolt but that does not help as the wear is on the body, sram should at least use a 'sacrificial' sleeve, it'd add no weight and be easy to replace when it gets worn

eforce123

by eforce123

i so want to try etap. I have heard good things about it from die hard shimano riders

octav

by octav

Usign ETAP for one year now, but not that many miles on it due to my lumbar hernia. I have almost 2500kms on it with no problems. Only the FD sometimes has some issues with dropping chain but I saw a topic also about this and will try it again.
This year I started doing more miles and used more a Super Record Mechanical. On saurday after 1000kms on the SUper Record and no ETAP, I have used my Etap bike. I can say that if you are race oriented and tech freak the Sram is a beast. Nice and clean, no cables and shifts perfectly. I am seriously thinking of selling the SR and getting an etap for my other bike also but probably I will not do it as it's a Colnago :(

Bassett

by Bassett

I’m having the rear derailleur freezing issues bought last November but only used since March on best bike about 500 miles then this weekend same as others say just freezes then after 30sec a to a minute works again and can jump the number of gears you have changed when it unfreezes , front mech works fine , changing battery makes no difference.
As others have mentioned it’s slower to change up or down than mechanical red22 and does not index as well either , I’m already beginning to wish I had stayed mechanical as I had zero issues in 3years .

HaroldC

by HaroldC

I’ve been using the same eTap group since it’s release with no issues. It’s been on two bikes and run all year long, in the winter the bike is on a trainer. I’ve ridden in rain and cold temps and no issues to speak of. I’m also still using the two original batteries, including the shifter batteries.

I am sorry to hear of the problems, but wanted to share a positive one as well.

sungod

by sungod

Bassett wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 9:25 am
I’m having the rear derailleur freezing issues bought last November but only used since March on best bike about 500 miles then this weekend same as others say just freezes then after 30sec a to a minute works again and can jump the number of gears you have changed when it unfreezes , front mech works fine , changing battery makes no difference.
As others have mentioned it’s slower to change up or down than mechanical red22 and does not index as well either , I’m already beginning to wish I had stayed mechanical as I had zero issues in 3years .
if it is freezing it's faulty, stuff fails, get it replaced

"does not index as well either", etap indexing is far more precise than mechanical red, no comparison at all, if your indexing is out it's either faulty, or there's sonething else wrong, bent hanger, set-up etc.

Bassett

by Bassett

I spoke to Merlin today and it’s getting returned and then they are sending it back to Sram.
As for the indexing it is like like 95% right but there’s always a bit of noise around the middle of the cassette , hanger is straight , if you try and micro adjust it out it then becomes slow to change up/down the cassette, I’m hoping it’s as you say it’s just a faulty and maybe not quite straight rear mech.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com