Reynolds 2015 ctg braking performance?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Sorry for the repeated questions about wheels but I want to make a well informed purchase. I found conflicting informations on the newer reynolds' braking performance. While most owners seem to be very much satisfied with braking, the tour magazine test found reynolds' braking performance unsafe in their alpine braking test. The rim didn't survive the test.

Based on this I thought that the internet would be filled with reports about exidents, ruined rims, etc. But I didn't really find terrible experiences. If you have one of the newer reynolds rims (especially tubulars) I would love to hear your comments on safety.

Sleepless

by Sleepless

I have 2014 Assault clinchers and overall braking performance is top notch. I once did a 30 km descend averaging %6 something (https://www.strava.com/segments/12221400?filter=overall), weather was around 15C degrees. I'm a heavier rider around 90-95 kgs and I use brakes A LOT. They survived that descend and rims were not hotter than an aluminum clincher but I wouldn't do that regularly with clinchers. Since tubulars have the same brake track, I think it wouldn't be a problem to use them in Alpines.

My friend has 2015 clinchers and they have exactly same behaviour.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Grill

by Grill

Never had a problem with it. If the magazine tested a clincher instead of a tubular then they're just silly. You don't ride carbon clinchers in the Alps.

RyanH

by RyanH

I've had three sets of their tubular rims: 2012 Reynolds 32 (Ctg), 2015 Reynolds RZR (Ctg) and 2010 Reynolds 46's (non-Ctg). The 46's I put about 20K miles on and brake track was still good. That included lots of descents in rain and stuff like descending Mount Baldy which hits -20% in parts for the 5 mile descent. Braking was not great on the non-Ctg rims. The 32's have probably 5K miles including many first time descents down steep roads like Las Flores and Decker in Santa Monica Mountains (read: slow as snot descending with lots of long braking). RZRs are up to about 3K miles too.

I've done some pretty poor descending techniques at times with the 32s and 46's and have never had an issue. The Ctg brake track works really well. I'd probably rate the Zipps slightly better. Maybe an 8/10 for the Ctg and 9/10 for the Zipps.

Zipp posted a few years back about clincher vs tubular brake tracks melting and they said they never had a single tubular rim deform. So, if you're looking for tubs, I'm pretty sure most modern brands you won't have an issue with.

em3

by em3

I have owned two 2011 and newer Reynolds wheels with the CTg (CTg was first released in 2011, when several of the big carbon rim manufacturers (including Zipp, Reynolds, Easton, Enve) began beefing-up their brake tracks and carbon layups on some of their rims, due to reported heat failures on earlier models (weights of rims also increased significantly in the 2010-11 model years compared to previous years). The CTg brake track is in my opinion the best brake track I have used, in both wet and dry conditions. Very even braking, no pulsating and very predictable (be sure to use the blue cyro pads). I have used Zipp, Campagnolo (w/diamant braze track), and Enve carbon wheels (with exception of newer revised Enve brake track) and none, IME, were close to the Reynolds accuracy.

1415chris

by 1415chris

Ctg or Showstopper, that's the question.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Thank you all! Wow. Many-many happy Reynolds user. I think now I have to try it myself. ;)

fogman

by fogman

nemeseri wrote:While most owners seem to be very much satisfied with braking, the tour magazine test found reynolds' braking performance unsafe in their alpine braking test. The rim didn't survive the test.

I wanted to read this Tour Magazine article but I can't get the app to open on my iPhone. What wheels did pass their Alpine Braking Test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

fogman wrote:
nemeseri wrote:While most owners seem to be very much satisfied with braking, the tour magazine test found reynolds' braking performance unsafe in their alpine braking test. The rim didn't survive the test.

I wanted to read this Tour Magazine article but I can't get the app to open on my iPhone. What wheels did pass their Alpine Braking Test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every tested wheel passed except the lambda racing, slowbuild, reynolds and older dt swiss wheels. They tested campagnolo, fulcrum, mavic, dt swiss, zipp and shimano wheels. The slowbuild wheel started to "throw bubbles" in the very first test, while on the reynolds and lambda racing a "flank broke" in the final heat test. I don't know what that means though. Note that they only tested clinchers and some of them were alloy/carbon wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com