Planet X RT80

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Hi,

I've been following the FM066 open mold thread for a while now, with the intention of building up my next bike.
Now as I understand, Planet X is selling a very similar frame/complete bike in the RT80.

I saw the TdF edition of that bike, and with EU warranty, Sram Force and some other half decent components it costs 1300 euro.
A chinese frame with shipping would cost me 500 euro, so if you add a full Force groupset I'm nearly at that same cost. Tempting right? However...

The claimed weight for a large is 7,8kg. When I count up all the components, that just doesn't seem right:
Frame 960
Fork 390
Headset 65
Stem Cap 18
Seat Mast 240
Seat Mast Clamp 14
Derailleur Hanger 12
Wheelset 1800
Rim tape 9
Skewers 45
Tyre 252
Tyre 252
Tubes 130
Tubes 130
brakes 336
brifters 307
Derailleur Front 77
Derailleur Rear 166
Chain Catcher 13
Crankset 718
Bottom Bracket 115
Chain 259
Cassette 231
Cables + housing 200
Barrel adjusters 15
Handlebar 300
Stem 140
Handlebar Tape 71
Saddle 180
For a total of: 7445 grams

With the right wheelset, lighter innertubes, maybe a lighter handlebar and seat post, I could get that under 7kg (my budget goal :) ). But if the weight actually is 7,8 kg, getting it under 7kg would be much more expensive.

So, what am I missing?

Psyclebaz

by Psyclebaz

Cool post. I'm waiting for mine with a 32t cassette and 50 32 chain rings.

Remember the breaks are fsa gosserman and not the sram force.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Psyclebaz

by Psyclebaz

Yeah its the breaks. The fsa gosserman are 323g each.

They should really call it a force mix given the breaks are not sram let alone force.

What are you thinking of changing?

phlip

by phlip

"Gosserman breaks"? :D

Have you weighed them at 323 g each? Would you have a picture of them on a scale?

FSA advertises their Gossamer brakes with 331 g per pair. (http://www.fullspeedahead.com/products/ ... -brakeset/)
SRAM advertises their Force brakes with 280 g per pair. (https://www.sram.com/sram/road/products ... l-brakeset)

AZK

by AZK

Ticlimax wrote:
With the right wheelset, lighter innertubes, maybe a lighter handlebar and seat post, I could get that under 7kg (my budget goal :) ). But if the weight actually is 7,8 kg, getting it under 7kg would be much more expensive.

So, what am I missing?

You haven't included Pedals in your build, I believe PX do the same thou?

Planet X RT-80 Shimano 105 Road Bike weight claim : circa 8.4kg (based on size Medium)

I helped a friend assemble his PX XL 58cm RT-80 2 days ago, it was 7865g without pedals and an un-cut fork steerer. So his bike was 535g below the claimed weight of a frame two sizes smaller.

Shimano 105 5800
Chainset 172.5mm / 50-34T
11-28 Cassette
Vision Team 35 wheelset
23mm Gatorskins

I believe Force is a lot lighter than 105, 150-200g? Which could offset the weight of some pedals.

Psyclebaz

by Psyclebaz

Thats good news. Yeah gossamer! I looked at a website selling them individually but sounds like it was wrong.

I'm looking forward to the rt 80 delivery! I might look to sell the vision 35 and get something lighter as its hilly as where I live. Any thoughts on lighter wheels I that price range??

phlip

by phlip

If you don't mind mixing a SRAM groupset with Campagnolo wheels, how about the new Campagnolo Zonda C17? Some Fulcrum wheels have also been updated with a wider rim, if you would prefer their more regular spoke patterns.

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

AZK wrote:
Ticlimax wrote:

So, what am I missing?

You haven't included Pedals in your build, I believe PX do the same thou?

Planet X RT-80 Shimano 105 Road Bike weight claim : circa 8.4kg (based on size Medium)

I helped a friend assemble his PX XL 58cm RT-80 2 days ago, it was 7865g without pedals and an un-cut fork steerer. So his bike was 535g below the claimed weight of a frame two sizes smaller.

Shimano 105 5800
Chainset 172.5mm / 50-34T
11-28 Cassette
Vision Team 35 wheelset
23mm Gatorskins

I believe Force is a lot lighter than 105, 150-200g? Which could offset the weight of some pedals.

Interesting! So your friends' bike has all the standard bits except for the tires? I'm looking at the size 54, and force is supposed to be 300 grams lighter (250 with the Gossamer brakes counted for). So a decent guess-timate for the size 54 Tdf Edition would be 7,5 kg.

@ Psyclebaz: When is yours planned for (and is it the Tdf one)? Mind weighing it up for me :)?

In regards to light budget wheels, how light are you yourself? I ride supercheap Superstar Components wheels, but that's only because I'm less than 60kg with the (lack of) power to match.

Psyclebaz

by Psyclebaz

I've ordered a medium rt 80 tdf and wil let you know how much it weights. I myself am 85kg with a good5kg to lose myself. The granny gear is gonna come in handy going up the 20% to my house! ! Those zondas look great!

AZK

by AZK

Ticlimax wrote:Interesting! So your friends' bike has all the standard bits except for the tires?

Yip all standard parts as it came from Planet X.

AZK

by AZK

Psyclebaz wrote:Those zondas look great!

+1

Psyclebaz

by Psyclebaz

I should be receiving the bike by the end of august -they have ran out of the 50-34 chainrings.

Psyclebaz

by Psyclebaz

I was wondering what superstar wheels you might recommend. Them being light is important as the terrain I cycle on is very lumpy

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

Psyclebaz wrote:I was wondering what superstar wheels you might recommend. Them being light is important as the terrain I cycle on is very lumpy

For my needs, the pave28's are fine (Have the elites somewhere as well, but they're a bit narrow for 25mm tires). They weigh 1533 gr. (this is without the rim tape, Superstar rimtape is very heavy, with the original rimtape they're about 1630 gr.). I haven't broken a spoke yet, or needed to replace any bearings.

Things you have to keep in mind:
1) wait for them to be discounted (and then use one of the many discount codes floatng around on the web). I got my set for 89 pounds (104 euro).
2) Check them properly when you get them. Light and cheap means soft aluminum, and the first set I got from them had a crack. Posted them back and got a new pair.

If under 1600 is still to heavy, Wiggle has the Cosine 32mm which could be good ( but also costs over 300 euro's, and the Zonda's are propbably a better choice if evenly priced). If you are looking for something a little fancier, the Hunt Race Aero is 1420 gr. and 411 euro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ticlimax

by Ticlimax

No more Tdf Edition :(.
Guess I'll be forced to save up a little longer and take the plunge towards Chinese carbon.
On the plus side, I can choose the paintjob, so I might try to build something akin to (a more affordable) Velobici Continental.

It'll have to wait untill september or october though. Sigh...