I'm looking for Aeroad build suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hello,

There's an Olympic Games promotion ongoing on Canyon website and I'm wondering about building up an Aeroad frameset.

The frame comes with dura-ace brakes, the seatpost and the aero cockpit. I'm thinking about adding full Sram Etap groupset:
  1. SRAM Red eTap Groupset (shifters, batteries, derailleurs, charger)
  2. SRAM RED eTap Crankset 11-speed compact - GXP
  3. SRAM Red Aero Link Brakeset
  4. SRAM XG-1190 Cassette 11-speed - eTap
  5. SRAM Red 22 11 Speed Chain - 114 Links

Does it make any sense? I've read somewhere that the Sram Red Brakes are not compatible with Aeroad frame - is it true? Then again, I've read somewhere that shimano brakes doesn't work too well with etap levers..
Now, I have no clue which BB should I buy for it to work (something like this: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=136512 , but possibly cheaper).

Another problem - which wheels would you buy? Say I have around 1.5k$

pyrahna

by pyrahna

The Aeroad uses a 'Direct Mount' brake caliper. SRAM only makes the traditional single bolt mount calipers. So the Red brakes won't even bolt on.

Now as for your question about shimano brakes and SRAM levers that is a bit more nuanced. You can assemble this combination and when you pull the lever the calipers will clamp onto the rims and stop you. Shimano uses a slightly different pull ratio in their levers and calipers than SRAM does so the brakes won't work as well as if they were used with Shimano levers. Having said that Team Katusha has been using this exact combination on their bikes due to being sponsored by Canyon and SRAM and SRAM not making brakes that will fit Canyon's frame. It's up to you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would use something like this (thread together version)
http://wheelsmfg.com/bottom-brackets/bb ... ckets.html

How about these brakes:
http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?p ... 3&subcat=0

http://www.trpbrakes.com/category.php?p ... 3&subcat=0

You probably read this:

While the rest of this machine is dressed in eTap, the brakes are Shimano Dura-Ace units as SRAM don’t currently offer the direct mount design required for the Aeroad’s frame. However you feel about mixing SRAM and Shimano components, the stopping power provided by Dura-Ace brakes is superb.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bkw

by bkw

I've read that the EEBrakes are compatible with all levers.

For the BB, I like the Praxis BB30>GXP, but based on your build, it may be on the low-end side.

Wheels are subjective. But since you're building an aeroad, and close to your price range you might be able to get the 404 NSW's. I've just recently saw a thread around here about the Campag Bora 50's and that's something I'd consider for my next set.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I don't really want to buy another brakes from other companies (as long as the SRAM doesn't offer Direct Mount brakes I guess I'm okay with Dura-Ace). I might get SRAM RED Quarq crank (SRAM has it in offer, why not?) and I'm still confused about BB30/GXP thing and which is better. I was considering another power2max (I own one now), but I don't really want to mix it all up too much.

As for the wheels - I'm considering Zipps 303/404 and Bora One/Ultras, I want as best all-around wheels as I can get.

helldiver

by helldiver

Well if you are considering Bora wheels, you can as well buy a full Campagnolo group (Chorus/Record/Super-Record EPS) and not worry about brakes at all, since Campagnolo makes direct-mount brakes.

reknop

by reknop

lovemyway wrote:Does it make any sense? I've read somewhere that the Sram Red Brakes are not compatible with Aeroad frame - is it true? Then again, I've read somewhere that shimano brakes doesn't work too well with etap levers..
Now, I have no clue which BB should I buy for it to work (something like this: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=136512 , but possibly cheaper).

Contact c-bear for a solid ceramic bottom bracket. :-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://www.cycling-review.net

lovemyway

by lovemyway

helldiver wrote:Well if you are considering Bora wheels, you can as well buy a full Campagnolo group (Chorus/Record/Super-Record EPS) and not worry about brakes at all, since Campagnolo makes direct-mount brakes.

I don't want to get anything else than Shimano/SRAM, my LBS doesn't use/know how to service other brands plus electronic Campagnolo is a bit pricey :).

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Find another LBS. :P

I'm not sure what SRAM 30mm cranks are like, but:
True BB30 cranks will not work in BB86 because the spindle will be too short.
"Long spindle" BB30 cranks can work but you need a specific BB with smaller bearings. I believe FSA makes one. This limits your options greatly.
GXP works and there are numerous brands and options for BBs.

thumper88

by thumper88

EE cycleworks dual mounts are the best option in many ways.
I've had two sets and stopping and modulation isn't significantly different from shimano 9000 on one of my bikes. And they are much lighter.
And you can get the dual mount with the neat aero cover.

Don't take my word for it -- Specialized spec'ed them on the McLaren Venge and the McLaren Tarmac. They work, and work well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com