Bike fitting on Colnago v1-r

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PSM

by PSM

It looks good any way. Like the bike too! ☺

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

PSM wrote:It looks good any way. Like the bike too! ☺

Really appreciate bro, just bought frameset for 2.200 pounds from UK and couldn't resist the temptation of campagnolo groupset on an Italian frame although i owned sram red.

cloudnine wrote:I'm almost the same dimensions as the OP and also interested in a V1-R, I currently ride a 53 Storck Scenario 1.0 and my fitter recommends I ride the size 50s frame with a 110mm stem and a longer reach handlebar he said a 52s would not be recommended because the reach would not be ideal with the added setback of the seat post of the V1-R.

How does the V1-R ride despite the numb hands?

Thanks

Many told me that i could have gone on 48s too. I think i could before 2 years that i was racing and my core strength was OP. But i don't think now it's safe choice. Generally 50s is a better and safer choice.

I guess 52s will be too big for you.

Generally the bike is very stiff, is the first point i understood on the first ride because of the very big bottom bracket. The rear hidden brake is cool too but i haven't really test is when you are racing and you got a flat tire :P

The headtube is big also 147mm and that makes the bike more comfortable i guess.

Colnago gave me a nice first view after 15 days of riding (after 1 year or so) but still i miss the comfort which i think isn't a bike it self problem.

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

wheelsONfire wrote:It's tricky with fit i agree. Do you move alot and change pose on your bike?
If i sit at a trainer i can sit differently than i do when i actually am out cycling.
Someone told me this has to do with core activation.
It's maybe strange, but no matter how well i feel at a trainer i still don't find that position working once i am out riding.
I also need saddle higher. If i lower seat i seem to not support my sitbones as i "lift" my weight somewhat when i pedal.
Maybe you overstretch when you reach the bars? And/ or have bars angled in a way that makes you hold your palms badly?

I haven't sit on the trainer yet, but that's true trainer vs normal road is big difference. I need to make some test on trainer i guess that in the road on order to make changed and be applied immediately to see differences like bike fits.

For me saddle is ok, if i have to move saddle will be backwards and lower.

About bars angled if i put them straight aligned with the road, i mean horizontal anyway it's really difficult for me to reach them. That's why i am thinking for 10 stem.

On the initial plan i was about to use 13 stem having in mind my general messurements but as i said 1 year out of bike and my core strength is almost all gone.

I do feel NO pain in back and my neck, other times was the first pain i had in the other 10 bikes i have changed :D now i don't have any pain there but i have in palms. I guess that means i still can't put the power where i should.

AJS914

by AJS914

cloudnine wrote:I'm almost the same dimensions as the OP and also interested in a V1-R, I currently ride a 53 Storck Scenario 1.0 and my fitter recommends I ride the size 50s frame with a 110mm stem and a longer reach handlebar he said a 52s would not be recommended because the reach would not be ideal with the added setback of the seat post of the V1-R.

Your fitter is right. I'm 183cm and I ride a 52S C59. And it fits pretty well.

On Colnagos, go by stack and reach.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Saddle is way too high. Even using the Lemond formula which was developed with greater shoe and pedal stack, that saddle is at least 1.5 cm too high. I would drop it 2 cm (and move it back a bit) it even looks way too high in the photos. Feet are at 3 and 9 and it looks like you'll have trouble reaching the pedals at the bottom. Maybe you have become used to riding this way but it is not right. It also explains your painful hand situation.

Unless you have strange proportions I just don't see how a 72.6 saddle height would work for someone with an 81 cm inseam.

Get the saddle height and setback sorted out and then find a stem that works.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

Mr.Gib wrote:Saddle is way too high. Even using the Lemond formula which was developed with greater shoe and pedal stack, that saddle is at least 1.5 cm too high. I would drop it 2 cm (and move it back a bit) it even looks way too high in the photos. Feet are at 3 and 9 and it looks like you'll have trouble reaching the pedals at the bottom. Maybe you have become used to riding this way but it is not right. It also explains your painful hand situation.

Unless you have strange proportions I just don't see how a 72.6 saddle height would work for someone with an 81 cm inseam.

This is what BG fit and Retul told me about saddle height that's why.

I will make some more photos with the leg in different positions

ipaul

by ipaul

AJS914 wrote:

Odd, according to the chart the reach is the same between 50s an 52s. Should be fine on either size assuming bar height is obtainable.
Attachments
image.jpeg
:P

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

At the moment I moved all the saddle back and changed to stem 10cm, also 1 spacer down because I felt too high.

Saddle to stem is 53cm atm and reach saddle to shifters 71cm

Tomorrow I will make a ride to see what happens

(got some problem with photos i will upload later)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

AJS914 wrote:

I checked the chart, that is a small bike. I am 182cm and i think all my bikes are larger than yours.
I have one bike with 394mm reach, which probably is the longest.
I could not go with too low of a stack (i need about 58cm). I have my saddle at 78-78.5 cm pending.
A 52s would give me a bike as low as a 54 size Foil,on which i had to use like 30-35mm spacers.
It's a bit of an issue with longer legs and low stack height.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mr.Gib wrote:Saddle is way too high. Even using the Lemond formula which was developed with greater shoe and pedal stack, that saddle is at least 1.5 cm too high. I would drop it 2 cm (and move it back a bit) it even looks way too high in the photos. Feet are at 3 and 9 and it looks like you'll have trouble reaching the pedals at the bottom. Maybe you have become used to riding this way but it is not right. It also explains your painful hand situation.

When you measure inseam, how many times have you got it different?

I had my GF measure me according to Cobb method and we got 91cm left leg, 90cm right leg.
I have also been measured using standard method. From 86 to over 88cm. I came to 87.7cm when i tried myself.

What i mean is, how came up with 81cm, maybe he has a longer effective inseam and pedalling with heel up?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

AJS914

by AJS914

wheelsONfire wrote:
AJS914 wrote:I checked the chart, that is a small bike. I am 182cm and i think all my bikes are larger than yours.
I have one bike with 394mm reach, which probably is the longest.
I could not go with too low of a stack (i need about 58cm). I have my saddle at 78-78.5 cm pending.
A 52s would give me a bike as low as a 54 size Foil,on which i had to use like 30-35mm spacers.
It's a bit of an issue with longer legs and low stack height.

I guess I have shorter or average length legs. I'd say that the 52S is about equivalent to a 56cm traditional. On Colnagos I feel I'm between a 52S and a 54S. On a traditional I'd ride a 57. If they made a 53S that would be perfect. Straddling a 54S feels very large to me though I could make it work with with regards to stack/reach. On my 52S I'm only using a couple cm of spacers.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wheelsONfire wrote:

I had my GF measure me according to Cobb method and we got 91cm left leg, 90cm right leg.
I have also been measured using standard method. From 86 to over 88cm. I came to 87.7cm when i tried myself.

What i mean is, how came up with 81cm, maybe he has a longer effective inseam and pedalling with heel up?

Not sure if this is directed at me or the OP but I'll answer also. I get the same number everytime when I measure my inseam - 87 cm. I use basic technique, back against the wall, bare feet, shove a book up between my legs till it doesn't go any further :P , and mark the wall at the top of the book. Simple!

As for toe down pedaling style, well you can have any saddle height you want in that case but that doesn't make it right and it looks silly. A little ankle action is OK, but severe toe down pedaling is not good. I see it all the time - people end up like this because their saddles are too high! :roll:
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Fiery

by Fiery

ipaul wrote:Odd, according to the chart the reach is the same between 50s an 52s. Should be fine on either size assuming bar height is obtainable.

And this is why stack and reach are not as good a way to compare bikes as Cervelo would like you to think. The thing is that by the time you've added enough spacers to a 50s to make the stack match the 52s, the stem will have moved far enough backwards to make the actual reach close to a centimeter shorter.

pdiomidis

by pdiomidis

Guys first of all i feel that obligation to thank you all for your answers and posts, it really matters to me that you keep posting ideas.

About today's ride. 10 stem didn't work well, it's way too short and legs are going so close or even hit the handlebar when i stand up (don't tell me i don't pedal good when stand up it's really really close i can understand that and the feeling being so close is not nice).

Generally also i never had the shifters aligned horizontal with the ground in any bike and when i did now the feeling is really strange that i can't afford.

Βut to be honest the setback it's much better when pedaling. That was good change.

I still can't understand why the fit on this bike is so bad on me even with 1 year no riding. I had before that pinarello 51cm with 535 horizontal and 13 stem and worked perfect. Again without riding alot.

I have also ridden sworks 54 that got 547 horizontal with 11 stem and still worked well.

I have lost my words i don't know what to do at the moment.

Some of you said that saddle is a bit upper that it should be, i will try to change 1 cm from saddle height to see what happens.

Another stuff it does stucked in my mind is the grip of campagnolo hoods. I know it's impossible that only hood grip can cause so much pain but when touching other grips of di2 or even ultegra 6800 seems better. Maybe that sounds crazy and stupid but i don't know :P

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mr.Gib wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

Not sure if this is directed at me or the OP but I'll answer also. I get the same number everytime when I measure my inseam - 87 cm. I use basic technique, back against the wall, bare feet, shove a book up between my legs till it doesn't go any further :P , and mark the wall at the top of the book. Simple!

As for toe down pedaling style, well you can have any saddle height you want in that case but that doesn't make it right and it looks silly. A little ankle action is OK, but severe toe down pedaling is not good. I see it all the time - people end up like this because their saddles are too high! :roll:

I have noticed that when measured, if you do not do it yourself, people who do measure can have more or less pressure.
Small differences can easily be altering the outcome.

Different shoes and cleats can build different stack height which affect the outcome of saddle height.
Changing bib shorts can also alter saddle height and angle of saddle.
Just looking at pro riders and you can easily see that some have saddle lower and some higher.
Ofcourse, in all circumstances leg length is accounted for. What i mean is the stretch is different.

There are methods where some pedal with feets horizontal and also where people pedal with heel up.
I guess the actual natural preference is taken in to account.
I don't consider myself a toe pedalling guy, i have cleat furthest back at my Giro VR-90.

I was told of a guy riding Carrera Phibra (ISP version).
He got a bike fit in present and that fitter cut his ISP 29mm.
The guy got severe knee pains and went back to where he bought the bike.
They had to send the frame back to Carrera and repair the ISP.
The fitter studio did not reimburse this cost as they told him, this was correct seat height for him.

When i myself owned a Scott Foil (size 54), i was told that it was a good fit for me and another told me it was way to short and low for me.
I could also tell that when i bought my UP, it was same outcome.
I rather not mention the persons involved, making comments on the size. But one of them told me it was too large and the other told me, almost every guy in your lenght ride your size.

I am certainly not a bike fitter, but i guess there are things a good fitter look for, that i have no clue of.
But i am sure people with same leg length are riding different saddle heights and they are possibly fitted to those.

I was looking at Euro sport, and Mark Cavendish mechanic told Cav can alter saddle height by centimeters pending on circumstances.
Have you looked at Adam Hansens position?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)