SRAM Red Etap Front Derailleur Adjustment

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sungod

by sungod

the sram etap install instructions show the answers to your questions, the diagrams are very clear

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pjo

by pjo

RichTheRoadie wrote:Read the SRAM instructions online - they tell you *exactly* how to do it.

Thanks
I cannot believe that i missed one of the manuals.
Exactly as you said=Everything there!
Stupid me.

/Patrik

leicaman

by leicaman

I have never experienced any problems when shifting from the small ring to the big ring on a climb. I often do it as I like to switch from sitting (in the small ring) to standing (in the big ring).

PaulDunn

by PaulDunn

pjo wrote:I'm trying also to fix issues with fd but everyone is saying "getting the front/rear guide marks on the cage exactly aligned is important" but there is zero info on how to do this.

Watch the SRAM installation video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlLwu-SDo5w

spartan

by spartan

the video is very OPTIMISTIC. you can only achieve no grinding noise on big/big small/small IF the chainstays are long enough. one issue you should be concerned is the tail of the front derailleur may rub against the right crank arm. setup is critical. too high or too low will cause the chain to be thrown off when upshifting under pedal load. what you need to do is scale back the pedaling torque when moving from small chainring to big.

shimano/campy are do not have these issues :(

hey sram what is the point of a electronic front derailleur if they can not guarantee no rub on any gear ratio ?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

I don't see the issue - big/big and small/small are combos that should never be used anyway.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I disagree Rich big big is the best 'puncheurs' climbing gear

leicaman

by leicaman

I agree, big big is my favourite climbing gear. It's not perfectly quiet on big big , but no worse than my my mechanical DA9000 on my previous bike.
Last edited by leicaman on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

:lol: :roll:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

spartan wrote:hey sram what is the point of a electronic front derailleur if they can not guarantee no rub on any gear ratio ?

So the eTap doesn't have the auto trim like on the Shimano? I wonder if a Shimano patent is getting in the way. Likewise Shimano will have a hard time going wireless as I'm sure Sram has created a mine field for Shimano when it comes to the wireless technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

If you set up the 'yaw' derailleur you don't need the 'trim' infact all the modern 11s systems have a wide enough cage to handle a big ring to every gear in the cassette swing with out trimming. Don't confuse chain rub with the noise created by an aggressive chain line :mrgreen:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

sugarkane wrote:If you set up the 'yaw' derailleur you don't need the 'trim' infact all the modern 11s systems have a wide enough cage to handle a big ring to every gear in the cassette swing with out trimming. Don't confuse chain rub with the noise created by an aggressive chain line :mrgreen:

It's more complex than that. On a system without auto trim you have the issue with dropped chains and overshift. If you adjust the FD where's no chain rub at all then you run the risk of getting dropped chains and overshifts. Rubbing and dropped chains are competing objectives. There's no free lunch unfortunately. You hear many stories on shifting issues with the eTap but none on systems with auto trim.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The 2015+ Campagnolo mechanical works very well. It has no trim when on the big ring and you can hit all the sprockets cleanly. Very nice when properly set up. Shimano has autotrim on Di2 and deals nicely with the issues @pdlpshr1 describes. Shimano 9100 mechanical still has 4 front derailleur positions... low, low trim, top trim and top. Properly set up you will use all these positions to get optimal performance without front derailleur rub or the shifting issues that @pdlpshr1 describes.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Over shifting and chain drops don't really happen on a properly set up system and if auto trimming is so important why as I've stated can you set up a mechanical 11 system eg super record to swing the full cassette with out rub in big ring. It's not complicated in fact bicycles in the grand scheme of things are NOT very complicated.. but hey what would I know :lol:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It is very complicated. Just ask Andy Schleck and his mechanic :-)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com