CAAD Help

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Frend

by Frend

Hi All - I'm new so appologies if there's a thread tucked away with any of this on..

I'm running a Caad 10 (which I bloody love) but try as I might I can't get the thing to stop clicking :evil:

I've tried everything as far as elimination goes.. Wheels, Pedals, Chainring bolts, Seatpost, Stem bolts etc etc. you name it they've either been swapped or greased or both!

I'm almost certain it's the BB.. *waits for sighs.

I'm running a GXP Quarq and have had both WMF adapters with bearings and most recently the WMF BB30 to outboard system. Loctite has been tried (proper procedure followed inc primer and thorough cleaning prep). Unfortunately my bike's still clicking - Any tips I may have missed here or is it time to start looking for who's still using threads?

How the hell do the Cannondale Drapac guys get through a winter? :shock:

Thanks in advance for any help. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Spider lockring interface. I've traced two to this issue. They want you to use loctite on it and torque it down but they don't seem to apply it at the factory. I've fixed two that after checking everything else, that's where the problem lied.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

If I have followed, you are now using one of the WMF BB30>GXP adapter BBs that thread together. Why on earth would you use Loctite with this arrangement?

These require anti-seize grease both on the threads and where they contact the interior of the BB shell.

lobular

by lobular

Like Calnago...I have also had success with the lockring/spider...used some light grease, noise gone. You need the tool though!

Alumen

by Alumen

Great suggestions, because same issue here with my CAAD10.

It's exactly that..., the clicking !!!

Does anyone perhaps have some pictures of this ?
CAAD 13 Disc
CAAD 10 2015 R.I.P.
Kona Kahuna

28, the real 25

Frend

by Frend

Calnago wrote:Spider lockring interface. I've traced two to this issue. They want you to use loctite on it and torque it down but they don't seem to apply it at the factory. I've fixed two that after checking everything else, that's where the problem lied.

Thanks for the help here and apologies for the delayed response (holiday got in the way).
I gave this a whirl but still no joy. I can see how it might have been the case another time though! Cheers.

Does anyone else have anything I may have missed? I'd love to keep the frame but it is literally driving me insane :evil:

On the off chance does anyone have a list of frames still using threaded BB's? :roll: :wink:
I know Pinarello still are (Italian threads).

treetrees

by treetrees

arrhh the dreaded cannondale creak or click I know it so well , been through numerous bb solutions from praxis and ones you stuff into the bb30 standard bearing and even wheels manufacturing out board bb which is what im using now . It took many attemps to fix it. For me it seemed like the face of the shell is not flat so when you tighten it up fully it kind of puts the bearings slightly out off true . Although you are not supposed you Loctite with the wheels manufacturing bb30 outboard i did but I only nipped it up and did not full tighten, then I let it go off for a few days then when i put the chainset back on it was fine . I know how you feel I nearly through mine under a passing lorry as it did my head in .

Frend

by Frend

treetrees wrote:arrhh the dreaded cannondale creak or click I know it so well , been through numerous bb solutions from praxis and ones you stuff into the bb30 standard bearing and even wheels manufacturing out board bb which is what im using now . It took many attemps to fix it. For me it seemed like the face of the shell is not flat so when you tighten it up fully it kind of puts the bearings slightly out off true . Although you are not supposed you Loctite with the wheels manufacturing bb30 outboard i did but I only nipped it up and did not full tighten, then I let it go off for a few days then when i put the chainset back on it was fine . I know how you feel I nearly through mine under a passing lorry as it did my head in .

It has to be bloody embarrassing for them. I've heard of so many people with issues - dealers included. A crying shame as it's just the type of bike I need. A 'no nonsense' solid performer at a great price.

Besides Kinesis does anyone else know of any other frames out there comparable to the Caad? - of course with a threaded BB.. :idea:

RussellS

by RussellS

Frend wrote:Besides Kinesis does anyone else know of any other frames out there comparable to the Caad? - of course with a threaded BB.. :idea:

I have CAAD7 and CAAD9 frames. They seem pretty much identical to me. I suspect your beloved CAAD10 is identical. Look around for a used CAAD9. I'm guessing Cannondale made 100 billion of them so they should be pretty easy to find. My frames have standard British threaded bottom brackets. CAAD7, CAAD8, CAAD9, doesn't matter. They are all identical to your CAAD10. Except they have British threaded bottom brackets.

treetrees

by treetrees

I too have a caad8 pre bb30 and have never had any issues with that but it up for sale at the moment to make way for another bike .

pyrahna

by pyrahna

@Frend If you are looking for a different Al bike I can't recommend the Specialized Allez Sprint enough. And even though it is BB30 I haven't heard a peep out of it in the 6 months I have owned it. Not all BB30 bikes squeak or click!

Frend

by Frend

So this happened... Caad 8 build on the way... After picking up a frame today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

That's a great looking Caad8. [emoji1303][emoji457]

Frend

by Frend

Thanks! Here's it's clicking (for now) Caad 10 big brother! Image

Frend

by Frend

Appologies for the double post :roll: