FELT FR FRD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Felt has been a pioneer in Aerodynamics..

and its frame now weighs a lot lesser than competition.. impressive!
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

53x12

by 53x12

newforker wrote:684 grams for frame and 284 grams for fork..quite interesting..

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/02/201 ... rst-rides/

I saw a mention that the FR1 is 765 grams for the frame (no idea on the fork weight). That is amazing value for $2,000.

2lo8 wrote:Fred bike

Not sure what your troll statement is even trying to portray. Around here, one sees a multitude of Treks, Cannondales and Specialized bikes before even seeing another Felt.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

The name of the bike is FRD...
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

2lo8 member refer FRD as Fred bike! Human race will extinct at this level of intelligence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

DavidMLee wrote:Felt has been a pioneer in Aerodynamics..

Not lighter nor as aero as a Cervelo RCA ;)

53x12

by 53x12

justkeepedaling wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:Felt has been a pioneer in Aerodynamics..

Not lighter nor as aero as a Cervelo RCA ;)

Also not as expensive: $10,000 vs. $3,500. Big difference.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

liketoride

by liketoride

I could not see if it direct fit like my f1, or press fit like my RCA but after adding extra bb weight the RCA was only 50 grams lighter than the f1. So if that is 684 with bb already in that is going to be really close to RCA for a big cost savings

newforker

by newforker

I bet the derailleur hanger isn't made out of butter like on the RCA either..

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Has anyone rode the FR frame ? Not the FRD. Looks pretty light for a non-himod frameset, I believe around 760gr.

For a 760-770gr frame, how does it add up to that much total weight ? Wheels are heavy but still ...

wheelzqc

by wheelzqc

Ive updated my post with a more general question. The FELT FR (not frd) frameset is supposed to be 760-770gr, similar to the EVO himod. just wondering where the weights get added.

Wheels 1690GR VS 1840gr = 150gr
Crankset 580gr VS 694gr = 115gr
Cassette about 40 to 50gr difference I would guess.

the rest of the parts look pretty close, but there's a 750gr difference between the two build.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

Bump. Any more experience with the Felt FR FRD or FR1 frames? These seem like two of the most underrated road frames on the market. Lightweight? Check. Stiff? Check. Competitive price? Check. From a solid company? Check.

Why aren't these talked about more?

JBeauBikes2

by JBeauBikes2

Ahillock wrote:Bump. Any more experience with the Felt FR FRD or FR1 frames? These seem like two of the most underrated road frames on the market. Lightweight? Check. Stiff? Check. Competitive price? Check. From a solid company? Check.

Why aren't these talked about more?

Seriously!

Felt loses the popularity contest between Specialized and Trek. On top of it, Felt hasn't sponsored a World Tour team since 2013. I do see more shops picking up Felt, 2 near me recently have over the past 18 months.

The specs on the FR seem amazing for the price. From what I've seen, Felt threw aerodynamics out the window and made the FR with road feel being the top priority. The only thing people may not like is the bottom bracket rear brake, but the EE brake is compatible if you don't want to run the TXP brake it comes with. I've been trying to find an FR1 or FR2 to do a test ride on but haven't had any luck. Felt's carbon is really top notch, they use TexTreme which is a patented brand of carbon that's used on F1 cars and airplanes.

Beaver

by Beaver

For me the only downside is the bb mounted brake. The company started with triathlon and still has to establish a name with roadbikes.

53x12

by 53x12

Beaver wrote:For me the only downside is the bb mounted brake. The company started with triathlon and still has to establish a name with roadbikes.

Slipstream-Chipotle/Garmin-Slipstream used Felt road bikes for some time with good success plus Marcel Kittel and Argos-Shimano. They have already established their road bikes. Definitely aren't on the same level of brand recognition as Trek/Specialized/Cannondale, but in many ways being a smaller company and not being a current named sponsor (or even bike sponsor) on a UCI World Team means they can offer the consumer more bang for the buck in many ways.

KWalker

by KWalker

My Felt F FRD was definitely my favorite road bike. The geo was really stable and snappy, the frame was super stiff, and up close the construction was immaculate compared to my many Speci and Cannondales (no visible bladder marks in the frame, zero paint or weave blems anywhere on the bike, beautiful weave under the clear) and there was definitely more attention to detail. Moreover, the weight was within 10g of claimed and predicted. Even the derailleur hanger was a chunky, solid bit with great attachment so much that I never once had to check or touch it's alignment and everyone knows my history with "durability testing".

If I were to buy another production road bike it would hands-down be a Felt. It's not that other brands are necessarily bad, but if you are paying close to full retail the bang-for-the-buck is unrivaled. I also like that the brand continues to sponsor a women's program, the U.S. track team, and the men's development road team. They don't try to use big names or bullshit token statements to sell and "develop" bikes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com