FELT FR FRD

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

newforker

by newforker

684 grams for frame and 284 grams for fork..quite interesting..

http://www.bikerumor.com/2016/08/02/201 ... rst-rides/

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Woah, that's a very competitive verified weight, right in the AX territory :shock:

The only problem - under-the-BB brakes :?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

The price tag is a bigger issue imo.

bkw

by bkw

mrlobber wrote:Woah, that's a very competitive verified weight, right in the AX territory :shock:

The only problem - under-the-BB brakes :?

What's wrong with direct mount chainstay calipers? I've got them on my Felt AR and they work great for me.

mythical

by mythical

The lower center of gravity and clean looking seat stays are definitely an advantage in my book. I was already digging the checkered pattern on the carbon but I'm really find the aesthetics a major improvement over the F FRD. Well done, Felt! :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

loudtiger

by loudtiger

only thing is they extended the headtube compared to the previous F series bikes. it's still pretty low though.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

mythical wrote:I was already digging the checkered pattern on the carbon but I'm really find the aesthetics a major improvement over the F FRD. Well done, Felt! [emoji106]

A perfect match with Berk's sigmatex saddle!

Hubert

by Hubert

loudtiger wrote:only thing is they extended the headtube compared to the previous F series bikes. it's still pretty low though.

The stack growth is about 19mm on average across the size range compared to the F.

The increase was split b/w the fork and head tube to keep the front triangle compact and maintain front end feel and head tube/front-end stiffness (which is up over the F).
Turn down the suck knob.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

bkw wrote:What's wrong with direct mount chainstay calipers? I've got them on my Felt AR and they work great for me.

I've got them on my AR as well, that's why I don't like them. Even in DA version, they're not really comparable to a solid chainstay mounted brake. And basically everyone of local Felt dealer who has ridden an AR, agreed on this on me. Sure, not a problem in flat races (I've done plenty on the AR), but definitely lack of braking power if showing up on some hills or bombing around the city.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Stalkan

by Stalkan

Long time Felt Aero Road rider here and I don't agree at all there is a lack of braking power, but everyone is different. However, I too was annoyed that they choose to go that route with the new bike. Oh well, maybe time to go disc on the road?

cobrakai

by cobrakai

I don't see an issue with the chainstay brakes if you use a CB90 quick release. Although admittedly it isn't the most WW part but it's definitely convenient.

2lo8

by 2lo8

Fred bike
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

eric01

by eric01

Looks to me like a very sensible stiffness to weight ratio frame. like the paint job. reflective accents are a 'why didn't someone do this sooner' thing too.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

mythical

by mythical

mrlobber wrote:
bkw wrote:What's wrong with direct mount chainstay calipers? I've got them on my Felt AR and they work great for me.
I've got them on my AR as well, that's why I don't like them. Even in DA version, they're not really comparable to a solid chainstay mounted brake. And basically everyone of local Felt dealer who has ridden an AR, agreed on this on me. Sure, not a problem in flat races (I've done plenty on the AR), but definitely lack of braking power if showing up on some hills or bombing around the city.
Have either of you considered EE direct mount brakes? They work in the same excellent way as the single-bolt version, whereas the Dura-Ace direct mount version is so markedly different from the standard one that it could explain a decrease in performance.

Ever since my first pair, EE brakes are my go-to brakes. I particularly recommended them for any FR FRD buyer and AR owner. And for those who find them ugly, under the BB they're out of sight. :wink:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

bkw

by bkw

mythical wrote:
mrlobber wrote:
Have either of you considered EE direct mount brakes? They work in the same excellent way as the single-bolt version, whereas the Dura-Ace direct mount version is so markedly different from the standard one that it could explain a decrease in performance.

Ever since my first pair, EE brakes are my go-to brakes. I particularly recommended them for any FR FRD buyer and AR owner. And for those who find them ugly, under the BB they're out of sight. :wink:

I don't think they're ugly at all! The direct mount EE's are my grail.. However, I haven't found it necessary to replace the DA9010 I've got under there currently.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com