AbsoluteBlack oval chain rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

Any one using these care to share their experience?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Running one on my Epic with 180mm cranks and love it. Less pinpoint fatiuge and more traction when grinding IME.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Wanted to try them but not into oval...prefer round.

t3racing

by t3racing

I have just the inner ring on my Miche cranks and really like it. No shifting issues either running 2014 SR.

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

I've been really happy with mine and done an in-depth review of the inner and outer rings for Shimano 11spd. Hope these help.

AbsoluteBlack inner oval chainring review

AbsoluteBlack outer oval chainring review

Y26

by Y26

jrmynthn wrote:I've been really happy with mine and done an in-depth review of the inner and outer rings for Shimano 11spd. Hope these help.

AbsoluteBlack inner oval chainring review

AbsoluteBlack outer oval chainring review

Hi Jrmynthn,

What is your take on these rings now?

Broady

by Broady

Got inner on DA9000, flawless performance. Whether it helps is hard to quantify but the product is great otherwise.

Y26

by Y26

Broady wrote:Got inner on DA9000, flawless performance. Whether it helps is hard to quantify but the product is great otherwise.

Gotcha. From reading online, some say that shifting is less 'smooth' when using absolute inner and outer ring. Is it true on your experience when comparing to using DA9100 inner vs absolute black inner?

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I used to use the 50-34 and it did feel like it improved my climbing but I believe it's just my improved conditioning. A hit or miss smooth shifting from small to big ring even with the use of Di2. I would recommend using midcompact ovals or standard as the compact is just way to over spin.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

Y26

by Y26

PinaF8 wrote:I used to use the 50-34 and it did feel like it improved my climbing but I believe it's just my improved conditioning. A hit or miss smooth shifting from small to big ring even with the use of Di2. I would recommend using midcompact ovals or standard as the compact is just way to over spin.

Thanks for your input.

DI2 group shifts better than mechanical counterpart? Sorry but I didn't know that before.

What ring are you riding on now?

My shortlist chainring candidate is AB and Praxis hence it am asking questions on the AB goodies. Performance improvement is less of my concern than smooth shifting. (. No drop chain)

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Y26 wrote:
PinaF8 wrote:I used to use the 50-34 and it did feel like it improved my climbing but I believe it's just my improved conditioning. A hit or miss smooth shifting from small to big ring even with the use of Di2. I would recommend using midcompact ovals or standard as the compact is just way to over spin.

Thanks for your input.

DI2 group shifts better than mechanical counterpart? Sorry but I didn't know that before.

My shortlist chainring candidate is AB and Praxis hence it am asking questions on the AB goodies. Performance improvement is less of my concern than smooth shifting. (. No drop chain)

I'm back on my DA 53-39 rings because I prefer butter smooth shifting. I've never experienced drop chain with my AB ovals.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

ms6073

by ms6073

Y26 wrote:DI2 group shifts better than mechanical counterpart? Sorry but I didn't know that before.

Put AB 50/34 chainrings on the wife's Scott Contessa Solace with Shimano 9150 shifters and derailleurs, SRM DA 9000 crank, and KCNC X11SL DLC chain, back in April. She really likes the rings and since that time, I note that her cadence has increased and she climbs hills with a bit more fluidity. She has not mentioned, nor have I noticed any issues when she shifts, but it did take a bit of finesse as the front derailleur must be properly tuned to highest tooth in the oval, and there is a tad more noise in the bug chainring and largest 3 rear codes with the KCNC chain.
Last edited by ms6073 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Y26

by Y26

PinaF8 wrote:
Y26 wrote:

Thanks for your input.

I'm back on my DA 53-39 rings because I prefer butter smooth shifting. I've never experienced drop chain with my AB ovals.

PinaF8. If you don't mind, would you describe the "smooth" factor that you experienced. Of course, each person is different but I would like to hear from you.

Y26

by Y26

ms6073 wrote:
Y26 wrote:DI2 group shifts better than mechanical counterpart? Sorry but I didn't know that before.

Put AB 50/36 chainrings on the wife's Scott Contessa Solace with Shimano 9150 shifters and derailleurs, SRM DA 9000 crank, and KCNC X11SL DLC chain, back in April. She really likes the rings and since that time, I note that her cadence has increased and she climbs hills with a bit more fluidity. She has not mentioned, nor have I noticed any issues when she shifts, but it did take a bit of finesse as the front derailleur must be properly tuned to highest tooth in the oval, and there is a tad more noise in the bug chainring and largest 3 rear codes with the KCNC chain.

Dear ms6073,

Why 36 not 34? Does this oval rings functions diff than round rings?

Thanks for the help again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

Y26 wrote:36 not 34? Does this oval rings functions diff than round rings?

Sorry, typo, should be 50/34. I have also ordered 52/38 to replace for my bike which DHL indicates should delivered on Thursday.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"