Campy Shifter Hood Transition

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

Sorry for posting this here but the threads I've seen before are either: rotate your bars or man the F up. I'm really enjoying Campy but the hood transition is terrible. The meaty part of my palm is killing me after 300 miles this week. 2010 SRAM had this problem and then they released 2012 (or was it 2013) that provided a nice, smooth transition.

I spent the weekend looking at other Campy users' bars and it seemed that everyone's bars was plagued by this to some degree. Without being able to rotate my bar, is it possible to achieve the SRAM-like hood transition with Campy? I could put more tape under to ease the transition but having been down this road with SRAM, it's not the same. I'll redo my shifter position if it's setup wrong.

Side view of hoods:

Seriously...

SRAM's transition:

On a side note, for those that haven't ridden Campy, I now understand why so many are fans. The FD shifting is impressive...it also took over an hour to setup. I can eyeball a SRAM FD and get it right in under 10 minutes. Campy's is a whole different beast but once it's dialed in, it's really a different level, at least compared to SRAM.

em3

by em3

I assume that when you say " is it possible to achieve the SRAM-like hood transition with Campy? " you are simply describing the flat transition (or flatter transition compared to your Campy set-up) that you display in the pics with your eTap shifters? If yes, then all u need to so is slide your Campy shifters UP a bit. Your Campy shifters are currently set up lower then the flat portion of your bars, where tops transition to ramps on your bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Ryan, get new hands. Lighter ones, even.

dudemanppl

by dudemanppl

I personally rotate all my shifters up a little. Your eTap stuff is rotated up, which is how I would set my hoods up on any system.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'm still waiting for Apple to come out with iHands. Until then, I'm stuck with these meat mitts.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Haha. I don't have the most elegant fingers, myself. Looking at your bars, I'd rotate up about 5 degrees. For me, Campy Ergo hoods seem to have more real estate and this makes the transition from the bars to the hoods seamless. So, the bigger your hands, the better.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Tommy will cringe when I say this but I've changed to the new style hoods on all my older gen Campy 11spd stuff and think the new hoods are so much better.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

As mentioned, you'll have to rotate the levers up.
Last edited by 5 8 5 on Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Obviously you aren't going to be able to rotate the bars (at least not without a lot of work ;) ) so the only option is to raise the shifters a little.
Is it any better if you angle the shifters in or out a touch?
Official cafe stop tester

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

@jekyll man

Oops! I should have looked more closely as I thought the second pic was a different bike :oops:

It just reinforces why I don't like integrated bars and stems due to their lack of adjustability.

RyanH

by RyanH

I'll rotate them up and report back.

@SLCBrandon, thanks I was also curious about that. I'm not particularly fond of the grooves without gloves so I think I'll like the new style more anyway.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

^same, I never wear gloves so a good hood is important. I rode the old style hoods for about a year and then made the jump to the new hoods on my Time and have now gone to them on all my Campy bikes.

euph

by euph

I read up about how to cure this on my SRAM Red 2010 shifters. The thing that stood out but I have yet to try is using something like Sugru before applying your bar tape to create a nice transition. Seems like it would work and I will surely be giving it a go.

Tricky1

by Tricky1

I double wrapped my bar tape all the to the levers from the tops ( I wrapped under the hood as far as possible). I also like a flat transition and the extra padding helped some. Sounds like this is a bigger issue for you than it is for me, but some extra padding didn't hurt.

On another note regarding Campy levers, as mush as I love their function, I do not like the the upward bend of the levers since they went 11 speed. The 10 speed lever design was flatter and gave my hands more room, especially while standing. Im not a Shimano or Sram guy, but I like the longer, flatter levers they have.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fogman

by fogman

My BG Fitter set mine up like this but I think I need to tweak it. Trying to figure out if I need to bring the levers down, rotate the bar down or a combination of both to get a better transition. Super Record/3T Ergonova.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.