2013 Cervelo R3 and eTap

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stripes

by stripes

Planning on installing eTap on a R3 but came across someone's review that mentioned FD incompatibility with a 2012 R3 frame:

== BEGIN REVIEW ==

I bought 2 eTap groups, one for my titanium Seven and one for my wife's Cervélo R3 (2012). The installation on my Seven was really easy, and I love it. The shifters work like a dream, accurate, fast, virtually silent. It is a terrific upgrade.

However, here is the caveat emptor part: the front derailleur mounting position is incompatible with the Cervélo R3 and R5. The braze on hanger is about 7mm too high for the eTap derailleur. After hours of frustrating attempts to mount it, I took the frame and derailleur to my Cervélo dealer, and he confirmed that the two are incompatible. We then measured the front braze on derailleur hanger position on several high end frames (Wilier, Colnago, Cervélo, etc.) and it was also positioned too high on them too!!

I called SRAM, and the tech support guy said, well, yes, they were aware that their eTap system was incompatible with several high end Italian frames. (Add Canada to that list for the Cervélo.) Why their website does not mention this is a bad thing.

== END REVIEW ==

Can anyone confirm if this is true or not?

I did find another R3 eTap build here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 260&type=3 but it's on an even older R3 frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

R5 vwd 2012 and current S5, it works fine.

sungod

by sungod

not familiar with the r3 fd mount, but maybe something like this could help?

http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7386000002
https://wickwerks.com/products/fit-link-adapter/

RyanH

by RyanH

The mount was too tall on my R5ca for a 50t chainring. A 52t chainring "fixed" the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ghost234

by Ghost234

I've seen etap on the 2015/2016 R5 as well as the current Rca. Maybe it was just that generation of R3's that are incompatible.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

RyanH wrote:The mount was too tall on my R5ca for a 50t chainring. A 52t chainring "fixed" the issue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Have a dura ace 50/34 no problem at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyanH

by RyanH

From my build thread:

Lowest setting on FD:

This is the problem:

The bracket hits the top of the indentation on the FD:

SergioSA

by SergioSA

Hace you found any solution for the 50t chainring?

liketoride

by liketoride

Does anyone know if you can machine the gap a little higher? Is it just metal all the way up? Or is there something important behind? I have a machine shop right next to my work that could do that for me because I would like to run 50t every now and again on the same bike above

RyanH

by RyanH

TBH, try running it as is before machining anything. Mine shifted fine but it's possible my bracket is lower.

liketoride

by liketoride

based on your pictures my 50t sits right on the same line.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commendatore

by commendatore

Are people still having problems with this on newer frames? You can get an S5 with etap straight from cervelo, so I'm hoping the R3 I just ordered won't be a problem?

I have run compact rings for ages but was thinking of going to 52/36 for this build, more flexibility would be nice of course.