Stages v Pioneer

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gavin

by gavin

Anyne had experience of both these PM'S ?

Want to get a power meter for my TCR sl and have stages on my old bike which has worked well .

The only thing is the Giant store are promoting the Pioneer as a better quality device doing the same thing

Any thoughts ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have two pioneer PMs on both of my bikes and I think they are a very well designed and good devices. One of them never had any problems and being rock solid for a year now. The other one had battery drop outs and it was fixed by Pioneer under warranty and since then it's working great! I'd recommend to use them with their head unit which makes mode switch and firmware updates easier. (I think they give them for free now).

Disclaimer: first PMs and I haven't had any other experience with other brands, but I'm very happy, so..

gavin

by gavin

Hi nemesari thanks for the feedback

Interesting that you think using their head unit is important as I use Garmin

Maybe will stick with stages

nemeseri

by nemeseri

gavin wrote:Hi nemesari thanks for the feedback

Interesting that you think using their head unit is important as I use Garmin

Maybe will stick with stages

In dual power mode you can use any head unit you want, I just happen to like theirs. Also you should take into account that the pioneer can be upgraded to dual sided and if you use their head unit, it will give you more detailed power information than stages. It may or may not be important to you though.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Sorry double post
Last edited by beanbiken on Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB

Coffee & carbon

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have just purchased the pioneer dual. Have the pioneer head unit (part of their TDF deal) but will be using it with my Garmin 520. Heading out very shortly for my first ride with power. Using pioneer's magnets at this stage as I/we can't seem to get it working without them. They say the magnets are optional when you don't want the full pedalling metrics but that doesn't apply to me. Anyway the pioneer rep has been communicating Vue email with Japan as we try to find out what is going on.
BB

Coffee & carbon

tk2306

by tk2306

Have multiple Pioneer dual sided PM's (on different bikes) and have had no issues with them once setup. Would take them over a stages every time just for the reliability factor. I use the Pioneer head unit and agree it is nice paired to the cranks but can still be used with a Garmin but wouldn't be my preference. Initially I thought I would use my Garmin with it but after using the Pioneer I've changed my mind on it.

Have had plenty of PM's in the past (powertaps, quarqs and SRM's) and the pioneer has been just as good as any of them if not better.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

beanbiken wrote:I have just purchased the pioneer dual. Have the pioneer head unit (part of their TDF deal) but will be using it with my Garmin 520. Heading out very shortly for my first ride with power. Using pioneer's magnets at this stage as I/we can't seem to get it working without them. They say the magnets are optional when you don't want the full pedalling metrics but that doesn't apply to me. Anyway the pioneer rep has been communicating Vue email with Japan as we try to find out what is going on.

I *think* that you have to change the mode to dual power from pedaling monitor to use it without the magnets. Hope that helps.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

4iiii

lightest, cheapest, have had zero issues.

gavin

by gavin

Interesting guys thanks

With the Pioneer head unit can you still do mapping ala 810 garmin ? or is it just distance and power heart rate etc ?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

nemeseri wrote:
beanbiken wrote:I have just purchased the pioneer dual. Have the pioneer head unit (part of their TDF deal) but will be using it with my Garmin 520. Heading out very shortly for my first ride with power. Using pioneer's magnets at this stage as I/we can't seem to get it working without them. They say the magnets are optional when you don't want the full pedalling metrics but that doesn't apply to me. Anyway the pioneer rep has been communicating Vue email with Japan as we try to find out what is going on.

I *think* that you have to change the mode to dual power from pedaling monitor to use it without the magnets. Hope that helps.

Yep, defintely in dual power mode, only the Pioneer head unit can see the pedal monitor data as it is in a "private" version of Ant+. So if it was still in PM mode the Garmin would see zilch. Hopeing the Pioneer rep can come through for me
BB

Coffee & carbon

tk2306

by tk2306

gavin wrote:Interesting guys thanks

With the Pioneer head unit can you still do mapping ala 810 garmin ? or is it just distance and power heart rate etc ?

No mapping with the Pioneer but still has gps so works with strava etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alastairb

by alastairb

Few friends have had quite a few issues with Stages, so I went with Pioneer which, as yet, has not had any issues. Good value with the option to upgrade to dual sided.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

In case you haven't read this http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powe ... icing.html Everything you need to know from a credible source.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

In case you haven't read this http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/03/powe ... icing.html Everything you need to know from a credible source.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder