Experiences with HED Jet 4+ and Jet 4 Black

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I'm on the verge of buying a set of HED Jet 4+ or Jet 4 blacks. How does these wheels hold up? Anything comparable with alloy brake tracks (besides shimano C50)?
Does the black wear off from the Jet 4 blacks? They seem to be lighter and HED claims they brake better so I'd consider paying the extra if they stay black.

All experiences are welcomed.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

mpulsiv wrote:If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.

Uh. Why would you recommend the stallion version over the normal? History of easily breaking spokes? Flexing?

Well, I think heavy is quite relative. The Jet 4+'s weight is around 1,650g while the zipp 303 firecrest is 1,625g. If you look at wheels in the 45-55mm category you will see that even full carbon clincher wheels either weigh very close to the HEDs or cost much-much more than them (zipp nsw / enve 4.5). I wasn't able to find any alloy/carbon wheel that comes even close to the weight of the HEDs.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nemeseri wrote:
mpulsiv wrote:If you want aluminum brake track, HED is the ticket but they are heavy! There's nothing else on the market with such wide rim profile. If you end up getting it, I recommend "stallion" build 20/28 spokes even if you are a light rider.

Uh. Why would you recommend the stallion version over the normal? History of easily breaking spokes? Flexing?

Well, I think heavy is quite relative. The Jet 4+'s weight is around 1,650g while the zipp 303 firecrest is 1,625g. If you look at wheels in the 45-55mm category you will see that even full carbon clincher wheels either weigh very close to the HEDs or cost much-much more than them (zipp nsw / enve 4.5). I wasn't able to find any alloy/carbon wheel that comes even close to the weight of the HEDs.

Do you understand the benefits of more spokes? Extra ~30 grams penalty = strength, longevity and stiffer wheels.
HED Jet 4+ are heavier in contrast to fine wheels like Boyd 44mm (~1475 grams) and FLO 45 (~1460 grams). If you are set on aluminum brake track then HED Jet 4+ is the ideal choice.
www.boydcycling.com/2016-44mm-clincher-rear-wheel
www.flocycling.com/wheels_rear_flo_45_cc.php
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

mpulsiv wrote:
nemeseri wrote:

Do you understand the benefits of more spokes? Extra ~30 grams penalty = strength, longevity and stiffer wheels.
HED Jet 4+ are heavier in contrast to fine wheels like Boyd 44mm (~1475 grams) and FLO 45 (~1460 grams). If you are set on aluminum brake track then HED Jet 4+ is the ideal choice.
http://www.boydcycling.com/2016-44mm-cl ... rear-wheel
http://www.flocycling.com/wheels_rear_flo_45_cc.php

Thanks for the links. Indeed these are very comparable in depth and price! Still, I will probably stick with the alloy brake tracks for now and experiment with carbon as a next step..

I get the benefits of the added spokes, but in the past 3 years I've never broken a spoke nor I needed to true any of my wheels. So I hope the HEDs will hold up well in my case.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

pdlpsher1 wrote:The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.

My training and riding involves fogy, misty conditions, wet roads during early mornings even without any rain. And my plan is to ride these as much as possible and not saving them for just the sunny days. So as a pre-caution I thought alloy-carbon might worth the 150-200g extra. What's your opinion on this? Would it be better to go full carbon?

If I can deal with the crosswind and use these wheels as much as I think, I will probably try to upgrade to tubulars and go full carbon obviously.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

nemeseri wrote:
pdlpsher1 wrote:The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.

My training and riding involves fogy, misty conditions, wet roads during early mornings even without any rain. And my plan is to ride these as much as possible and not saving them for just the sunny days. So as a pre-caution I thought alloy-carbon might worth the 150-200g extra. What's your opinion on this? Would it be better to go full carbon?

If I can deal with the crosswind and use these wheels as much as I think, I will probably try to upgrade to tubulars and go full carbon obviously.

You will be just fine with carbon brake tracks :)
If your budget is $1500+ Boyd 44mm are phenomenal wheels!

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I've been riding a set of Jet 4+ wheels on one bike for a bit more than a year. I generally like them and really like the extra width. Most carbon clinchers are barely 19mm internal; the Plus wheels are 21mm. 25mm tires on these wheels are positively luxurious. I've ridden in some fairly awful conditions and have no degradation of the color on the brake track. Braking is quite good in both wet and dry. The wheels have remained true and seem to have good spoke tension. The hubs and bearings are still in good shape.

Things to consider:

- They can be twitchy in high wind. There were some worst-case days this spring (gusty 25mph crosswind, 40 mph downhill) where there was way too much steering input for my taste. They seem to have more sensitivity than a 404.
- Because the carbon is a faring, you can't clamp them on a roof rack.
- Because of the faring, you can't run them tubeless. The Hed guys suggest that many of the benefits of tubeless are moot for wider tires on 25mm rims.
- Clearance can be tight on some frames
- Internal nipples

I like them enough that I'd buy a set of the Jet 6+ wheels for fast days. Coincidentally, tomorrow I should be receiving a set of Ardennes Black wheels for another bike. I'll swap these two wheel sets between all the road bikes.

I'm happy to chat about them.

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Ancient thread I know but I found it useful when researching HED Jet 4s do thought I’d add my (antidotal) data point in the hope that it’s useful to others.

- The braking is very very good.
- They look great.
- They’re very stiff - see bike radar video which they lab tested them. It’s this stiffness which causes them to rub for some people. On my Argon Gallium pro - they don’t rub. On my Cervelo P3 they rub. Not badly but I did have to open my callipers slightly.
- I’ve not found them twitchy in high winds, though I am used to using a Jet 9 on my TT bike
- They’re actually 48mm high - it’s written on the side of the rim. Not sure why HEDs website says 46mm
- They measure closer to 26mm (25.70) wide at the brake track
- My 25mm GP5000s measure 27.2mm on them
- They are tubeless, you just need the specific valve from HED. All mine (4 / 9 / disc ) have gone up using a track pump

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

I have nothing to contribute other than I wish people would stop referring to these type wheels as "aluminum brake track"
Never cheer before you know who is winning

JoO

by JoO

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:57 pm
The latest carbon brake tracks are almost as good as the alloy version in the dry. And melting carbon clinchers are a thing in the past. Read the latest Tour reviews on carbon clinchers. IMHO alloy brake track is no longer a good option unless price is a concern.

Can you tell me what issue number or month

tomycs

by tomycs

Tour 4/2019 . Not sure I'd say all carbon clinchers have overcome heat issues. Venn, Acros and Hunt failed the braking test outright and didn't get a final score and Rose wheelset was at the limit, so 4 of 16 tested had issues.

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Nohands83 wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:31 pm

- The braking is very very good.
- They look great.
- I’ve not found them twitchy in high winds, though I am used to using a Jet 9 on my TT bike
- They are tubeless, you just need the specific valve from HED. All mine (4 / 9 / disc ) have gone up using a track pump
+1

I rode jet 6's for ages as an everyday wheel. Only those not used to riding deep wheels would say they are twitchy. They handle so well you can ride them everyday (SE coast of Australia - not super windy, but not uncommon to have the odd day with 40-50km hr gusts)
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

Been riding the Jet 4+ for abt 1000miles...as tubeless with irc rbcc 23mm and last 100 miles with tubes...same tires..

I'm btwn 125 to 130lbs and don't think them too twitchy though you do feel the lateral push and have to counter...after a few rides..its intuitive...

They are awesome, great braking, okish weight, comfortable...

HEDs have always scored highly in tests and have worked with some of the bigger brands with HEDs patents to develop fast wheelsets.