Fibre Lyte chainring bad shifting

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

After sending my bike to another shop to tune the FD I'm still having problems, the shifting was ok for about 10km then the only way I could get the chain to engage on the large ring was to get off the bike and physically place the chain on it, as you can imagine this ruined my ride.
Even though the Fibre Lytes are very light and look awesome I'm completely fed up now I want to change the rings, should I get my Flawlessly shifting but heavy 159g Praxis rings put back on or can anyone give any advice on the Extralite rings. This is WW after all.
Cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

astranoc

by astranoc

Not sure if this is going to help you, but I had the same problem until one friend had the idea of turning the fd towards the inside, there was a fair bit of angle if you looked if from the front, but after that the shifting has been spot on with the fibre lyte chainrings. I was with Campagnolo SR if that makes any difference.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Hm usually I'll believe the problem has something to do with the tuning of the front derailleur. They are supposed to have pickup pins I believe, so it shouldn't be much different. Then again the lack of machined ramps may make it tougher to shift up.

I'm looking at getting their rings in 52-34,a difference of 18t, and I do hope this shifting problem isn't real...

KCookie

by KCookie

Mine are 52/36, it was working for a while, can't say it was that smooth though especially compared to the Praxis, but their so bloody heavy and aren't that good looking. The Fibre Lytres match the Clavicula crank so well, but good shifting needs to take priority.

RyanH

by RyanH

Shifting is not as instantaneous as it is with Praxis or SRAM red but once you get used to it, it works, so the shop definitely messed up. Your shops are terrible BTW. Either the Di2 FD's limit screw is set too far inward, which would be an easy fix, or it's not reaching far enough. If it's the limit screw, you can quickly tell that by shifting to the outer ring (move the chain by hand if necessary) and take a peak at the screws. One should be touching. That one needs to be backed out a turn or more.

KCookie

by KCookie

No wonder its not shifting properly, one of the lift pins has fallen out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

RyanH wrote:Shifting is not as instantaneous as it is with Praxis or SRAM red but once you get used to it, it works, so the shop definitely messed up. Your shops are terrible BTW. Either the Di2 FD's limit screw is set too far inward, which would be an easy fix, or it's not reaching far enough. If it's the limit screw, you can quickly tell that by shifting to the outer ring (move the chain by hand if necessary) and take a peak at the screws. One should be touching. That one needs to be backed out a turn or more.

Hey Ryan,
In a previous topic you were looking at getting some Extralite rings, did you go a head a buy some, if so whats your opinion on them. Cheers

mrgray

by mrgray

i admire your patience with this kcookie. i would pack it in and go to more std rings as the performance issue would kill me. maybe you need a better mechanical partner though. i've dealt with blake at atelier de velo and found him very good with front derailleur adjustment. he has my campagnolo sr stuff spot on.

stick at and be the expert on this we need! also it would be cool to see more photos of your bike.

plus don't you think it needs some fernwegs? :twisted:
Bobo S&S Steel Bike - 7.5 kg
Oltre XR2- 6.6 kg
Look 585 - 6.8 kg
Look 695 SR :D

KCookie

by KCookie

Will definitely post more pics, im just waiting for Merlin cycles to get a delivery of some xpresso 15 pedals in. Colour will match the bike perfectly.
So do you think i should put the Praxis back on or try Extralite. ?
If you buy the Fernwegs ill certainly try them out. Lol. !!
Think the wife might notice a third set of wheels.!!
Can another lift pin be added to the ring. ??

davidw

by davidw

You have my vote for the Extralite rings. I've always wanted to try Fibrelyte but I've had no reason to stray from the Extralite rings. Shifting is spot on with a well tuned FD. Haven't dropped or thrown a chain yet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Fiber lite should be able to supply repair parts :)
Using Tapatalk

KCookie

by KCookie

I'll email Stephen to see if it's possible to send me a lift pin, in the mean time I'll buy the Extralite rings and give then ago.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've been running Extralite RC2 rings for who knows how long now... I haven't been keeping track of the miles. Praxis and Dura Ace are the benchmark for shifting, but Extralite isn't that far off. I mean, the shifting isn't going to be as super crisp as Shimano or Praxis, as the material difference is obvious. You have more chain ring material, the more solid of a feel you'll achieve when shifting.

That being said, Extralite rings shift perfectly fine, but you have to tune your FD to accommodate them. It's safe to say that any Front ring will shift like crap if you're missing the ramp pin, of your FD is tuned off some what. I would rank Extralite rings in between Shimano/Praxis and SRAM. I didn't like SRAM front shifting when I had a Red group moons ago. There simply isn't a lighter better shifting option than Extralite rings. I shift gingerly and try to match my pedal stroke with the shift to ease it in as well. If you're a front shifting banger then you should stick with rings that have more material (Praxis).

I'm running Super Record 11 and my FD is setup perfect. I dont' get dropped chain, and at times I was getting over shift to the big ring, but that was because my FD was all off. Once I got it setup correctly, the Campy clicking to up shift was perfect. I'm 170lb and I don't feel any flex at all with the Extralite rings. I'm no crit racing sprinter, so I don't feel flex at all. I just climb locally and I think you'll enjoy the Extralite rings...

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

KCookie

by KCookie

Awesome thanks for the review that's very helpful.
When I ride on the flat I'm always on the big ring, but most of the time I like riding through the hills which means shifting is often. By no means was I hard on the rings changing under load, I was always gentile with the Fibre Lytes, as you said shifting with ease. Shifting was ok but no where as good as the Praxis. Being stuck in the small ring on my last ride I'm assuming is due to loosing a lift pin. I have full trust in the mechanic that tuned the FD as said it was working, not now without the lift pin.
I'll see what can be done with the Fibre Lytes as I don't think the pin should have dropped out after two short rides and order the Extralite as back up.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

How much do you weigh @kcookie? The Extralites will be better than the fiberlites but... They are not very stiff. And stiffness is what makes for good shifting. I have a mate with them and he has a lot of chain drop issues. Have you looked at the carbon TI rings? They seem pretty good. Personally I'd stick with the praxis and look at other places to save weight. I'm a big fan of keeping the drive train system spec ( except the cranks ) as there is little point in a weight weenie bike that shifts poorly or that struggles to finish rides..