Giant TCR Advanced SL 2 2017

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Brus

by Brus

i like these colours too, but have the same feelings about "not the SL"

RobinRS

by RobinRS

Yea it's not the SL but I think in general the second-tier frames give you the most bang for the buck.
In my area a SL ultegra vs the PRO ultegra is € 1000 more expensive.
The '16 yellow SL looks great, the '17 black-blue-yellow not IMHO.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

peted76 wrote:It looks as in the UK they aren't offering the funky red colourway.. only the weird black,blue and yellow mashup one #sadface, dont know what to do now.... I did want a TCR Advanced SL, but I don't want 'that' colour and can't afford a better spec.. ARGH !!

What to do? Possibly look at the Cannondale Supersix Hi-mod? Other bike ideas?

There is a KOM scheme too.

I've seen the new SL in the blue, neon yellow scheme in person. I think it looks way better than on the Giant site which never does any of the color schemes justice. I also have seen the black with yellow Advanced non ISP and that looks great.

peted76

by peted76

I'd have the Red KOM in a heartbeat, but it's not coming to the UK :(

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

For those of you familiar with SL models, please chime in. Yes, it's stiffer and lighter. Can we see this on paper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

spartan

by spartan

dude. tour mag international tested all the grand tour bikes a couple of months ago. the giant tcr advanced sl won. beat the trek emonda/sworks tarmac/canyon etc. please purchase the issue on android or ios
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

peted76

by peted76

What would you do? Pro's & con's...

1) TCR Advanced SL2:// The Bike I've budgeted for and have saved up for but now cannot get 2016 model / Top Tier Frame with ISP and best carbon / Weird Coloured Frame (Black, Blue & Lime Green - who does that seriously!)

2) TCR Advanced Pro 1:// Cheaper (could buy some new shoes, pedals, or bars with the difference) / Good Colour (Black & Yellow) / No ISP / Second Tier Frame

3) TCR Advanced SL0:// Dream Bike / Great Colour (Black & Blue) / Second Hand seven months old ex-Team been bike / Would have try and find an extra £1000 for it (might be impossible, defo difficult) / maybe over specced for my needs

I only have one bike and this will be replacing a three year old, entry level TCR Ultegra (@7.24kgs for WW sake)... I suppose the question I've got is, is the SL worth fighting for (or sucking up the odd coloured one for) over the Advanced PRO - I figured the better carbon and ISP would make a nicer feeling ride... or am I crying over nothing, has anyone ridden both SL and Pro versions and can comment on ride feel?

gavin

by gavin

peted76 wrote:What would you do? Pro's & con's...

1) TCR Advanced SL2:// The Bike I've budgeted for and have saved up for but now cannot get 2016 model / Top Tier Frame with ISP and best carbon / Weird Coloured Frame (Black, Blue & Lime Green - who does that seriously!)

2) TCR Advanced Pro 1:// Cheaper (could buy some new shoes, pedals, or bars with the difference) / Good Colour (Black & Yellow) / No ISP / Second Tier Frame

3) TCR Advanced SL0:// Dream Bike / Great Colour (Black & Blue) / Second Hand seven months old ex-Team been bike / Would have try and find an extra £1000 for it (might be impossible, defo difficult) / maybe over specced for my needs

I only have one bike and this will be replacing a three year old, entry level TCR Ultegra (@7.24kgs for WW sake)... I suppose the question I've got is, is the SL worth fighting for (or sucking up the odd coloured one for) over the Advanced PRO - I figured the better carbon and ISP would make a nicer feeling ride... or am I crying over nothing, has anyone ridden both SL and Pro versions and can comment on ride feel?

A chance for your dream bike is not worth giving up on !

Have a TCR advanced 1 (2014) and tested the( 2016) TCR advanced dura ace and it was a lovely bike to ride but went for the TCR SL 0 could not test ride as it has isp but will let you know how she rides as soon as i have picked up.

The option for me was that the sl became a great price at the end of July start of August it went to 20% off rrp .

I don't think you can get a bike as good in quality as the 2016 tcr sl 0 for less than £4.5k

RobinRS

by RobinRS

German magazine Roadbike tested the '16 PRO and '16 SL

According to the test the headtube stiffness & bottom bracket stiffness is identical.

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test- ... 8560.9.htm

http://www.roadbike.de/rennraeder/test- ... 3372.9.htm

I am also looking for a new bike and I eliminated the SL because of the ISP (resale value is limited)
And also personally I wouldn't buy a used team bike (crashes, etc..)

peted76

by peted76

RobinRS wrote:German magazine Roadbike tested the '16 PRO and '16 SL

According to the test the headtube stiffness & bottom bracket stiffness is identical.

I am also looking for a new bike and I eliminated the SL because of the ISP (resale value is limited)

Those links are useful... but damn I can't read German...

RobinRS

by RobinRS

Google translate ;)

I also just found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvtiW36lZqA

Just make sure you close your eyes when looking at that saddle + saddle bag combination.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

peted76 wrote:
RobinRS wrote:German magazine Roadbike tested the '16 PRO and '16 SL

Those links are useful... but damn I can't read German...

Testing methodology of "RoadBIKE" magazine is not on par with "Tour" magazine. For example, BB rigidity scored 72 N/mm by "Tour" and 122 N/mm by "RoadBIKE".
* "RoadBIKE" listed exact metrics of 122 N/mm for SL model and Pro model. I find this hard to believe because it's not made from the same carbon.
* Head tube stiffness (steering column rigidity) of Pro model 378 N/mm scored higher than SL model 364 N/mm. These metrics are a bit puzzling as well.
* However they did proof that ISP on SL model flexes a bit more for your comfort in contrast to traditional seatpost, 291 N/mm on Pro model and 241 N/mm on SL model.
* SL model is ~175 grams lighter (frame + fork)

Based on these facts, your sole decision will be based on ~175 grams of weight saving and $1000 dent from your pocket.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

Brus

by Brus

Brus wrote:i´m waiting for our importer if they offer SL2 2017 in Czech. In 2016 they didn´t. Only SL1 and SL0...

The only available SL version in 2017 in CZ will be SL1 :cry

jeffy

by jeffy

for medium frame ...

SL T800 frame 856g fork 306g
ADV RP T700 frame 890g 330g fork

SL ISP clamp is ~130g which i would guess saves another ~70g (assuming ~200g for Adv Pro seatpost)

so less than 150g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Brus

by Brus

already written above: 150g (maybe 200g for bigger frames) for 1000euro. This could be an argument to go for PRO for me (and no ISP is bonus). (My current disc brake bike weights over 8kgs)