EVOC bike bag - extra wheel set?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Donic

by Donic

Does anyone know if the Evoc bike bag can accomodate two wheels sets? One in the 2 separate wheel compartments on the sides and one inside?

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

It can accomodate ONE pair in total - ie. two wheels.

The insides are too tight and might damage your wheels if you try and squeeze another set in.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ms6073

by ms6073

I think the answer may depend on the vintage of the bag. I have used two bags purchased in 2012 to fly to cyclocross races and was able to fit size 56 disc brake cyclocross bike frames with one set of carbon wheels (disc brake rotors removed) in the Evoc's zippered wheel compartments, and a spare set of race wheels inside the bag. Note that I put thick Styrofoam tube wraps around the top, down, and seat tubes, and placed one wheel on each side of the frame, with the rear wheel on the none-drive side, then used Velcro hiking/back pack gear straps to secure everything to avoid movement. Another option if the bag fit is to tight, I also used wheel bags to carry on spare sets of wheels (cyclocross tires had to be deflated) on board flights and placed in the overhead compartments during flights with regular size Boeing and Airbus aircraft, but this is a non starter on flight using regional jets as the overhead bins are only half the size.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Donic

by Donic

Thank you very much for your answer :-)

Donic

by Donic

I can now confirm that it's possible to fit a set of wheels in the zippered wheel compartment and another set inside the bag with a size 58 road bike.

ms6073

by ms6073

Sort of on topic, but I saw in the Eurobike coverage, EVOC introduced a replacement frame that secures the frame via fork and rear dropout or thru-axle. The downside is that it will cost more than 1/2 the price of a new Evoc bag.
Last edited by ms6073 on Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

mattr

by mattr

Road, yes.
Cross, yes.
MTB 26, yes. With almost completely deflated tyres.
MTB 29, I gave up. Probably need to take the tyres off, not doing that with tubeless.
All with discs off and qrs removed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com