"Finishes" on Titanium bikes... Is this what a Ti frame should look like up close?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

McGilli

by McGilli

I just received my Lynskey frame. I opted for the "Industrial Mill' finish. This way it wouldn't be too dark, and not to shiny.

Now - maybe I just don't understand how 'finishes' on Ti frames work - but this looks like someone at Lynskey got their preschool child to scratch it up with a steel wool pad.

Is this how it should be? I just realized that I've never seen a close up of a Ti frame before - always a full shot and they look smoothed out and uniform from that distance so maybe this is how they all are....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justaute

by justaute

Yes, for Lynskey's Industry Milled finish. The other popular finish is satin bead-blast finish usually done by Moots and Eriksen. Seven Cycles offers several several finishes, including both satin bead-blast and milled (hand buffed) that like of yours. I have a Moots with satin bead-blast finish, but prefer the milled/buffed finish as it has that "industrial" look and requires the least amount of care...almost hassle-free. And, if you scratch the finish, you can use scotch-brite or other similar materials to "re-finish" the area pretty easily.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Juanmoretime wrote:My R320 has a brushed finish and laser etched graphics and easily touches up with a scotch bright pad. My Pro 29 is industrial mill and dulled down after a while and is close to the brushed finish. I touch it up the same way and within a day or two it dulls down and blends in nicely after a few days

With that said I would go for the brushed finish and laser etched graphics overtime.

I did a brushed finish on my firefly along with blue anodized lettering. I'm very pleased with how it came out.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

AJS914

by AJS914

If it really bugs you, I imagine that you could send it back and have it brushed for a price. I had a brushed Litespeed Classic. I like brushed best as it looks like a rich finish to me. The labor involved, I imagine, adds a few hundred to a frame.

jz4nyc

by jz4nyc

"Is this how it should be?" you ask?

no, that looks like a monkey with 80 grit sandpaper did the job.

you could "fix" it to your liking with a scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease. might have to go with some ultra fine wet sandpaper, perhaps start with 1500 grit and go down from there to see how much "bite" is needed. you want to use a strip of paper and hold at both ends, pulling it back & forth like a show shine.

BRM

by BRM

McGilli wrote:I just received my Lynskey frame. I opted for the "Industrial Mill' finish. This way it wouldn't be too dark, and not to shiny.

Now - maybe I just don't understand how 'finishes' on Ti frames work - but this looks like someone at Lynskey got their preschool child to scratch it up with a steel wool pad.

Is this how it should be? I just realized that I've never seen a close up of a Ti frame before - always a full shot and they look smoothed out and uniform from that distance so maybe this is how they all are....

When you are not satisfied with your Lynskey product you need to contact Lynskey.
https://lynskeyperformance.com/satisfaction-policy/

AJS914

by AJS914

When you look at this page, this finish doesn't appear to have those deeper scratches:

https://lynskeyperformance.com/industrial-mill-finish/

Also, looking at your last picture of the bottom bracket shell, I also see the scratches on the aluminum piece that is inserted into the shell so it looks like the deeper scratches were added as a last step. Curious.

McGilli

by McGilli

AJS914 wrote:When you look at this page, this finish doesn't appear to have those deeper scratches:

https://lynskeyperformance.com/industrial-mill-finish/

Also, looking at your last picture of the bottom bracket shell, I also see the scratches on the aluminum piece that is inserted into the shell so it looks like the deeper scratches were added as a last step. Curious.

Totally. That's what really got me - like - wasn't the frame given the 'finish' before being assembled?

Being in Canada - it cost me about $300 CAD extra to ship it here - with duty/taxes. So - I would lose all of that if I return it to them etc.

I do have only one recourse. I bought it from them through their Ebay Store. I still have not left feedback because of this....

I'm starting to think that because the Ebay auctions usually end up selling for cheaper than through their website store - that they are selling '2nds' through Ebay to get rid of that stock....

McGilli

by McGilli

100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - OUR 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE IS AN ASSURANCE THAT THE ITEM YOU RECEIVE IS OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY AND MEETS ALL YOUR EXPECTATIONS.

FURTHER IMPERFECTIONS (I'm not 100% Satisfied)

Ok. SO - something - when handling the frame - kept scratching me.

Taking a closer look. I have found a protrusion... of titanium - like tiny pimples - but it's small enough that it is sharp feeling if you run your hand over them...

Also there are a couple of visible dimples in the frame... sure they are small... but.... still not what I was expecting.

PIMPLE

DIMPLES

I've sent Lynskey the following message - I think I'm being reasonable.

Hi.

The quality of this frame is not what I was expecting. The photos on the Lynskey website for Industrial Mill look quite smooth and uniform. What I received looks like someone grabbed some sandpaper and just did whatever they please on it.
Also - they scratched up the frame 'after' it was assembled - you can see the scratches go clearly across the collars that are later inserted into the frame.
Then - there are 'pimples' of titanium - which stick up like sharp little points to scrape you when handling the frame. Then there are the black dimples, the little pits in the titanium on the frame.
I consider this below the quality of what I expect. As it cost me $300CAD to ship the frame to my house (duty etc) I will not return this frame as it makes, financially, no sense for me to even try to send it back.
I will send a message through the Lynskey website with a link to pictures. Before I leave feedback on this transaction - please advise how Lynskey would like to make this right.
Last edited by McGilli on Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

this is the finish on the mosaic i'm about to build

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've had two Merlin frames that were "brushed" finish, and you could completely renew the finish with a scotchbrite pad of the right grit.
It looks to me like some "artist" decided to use coarse sand paper on yours and give it that cool "distressed" furniture look.
In other words, it looks like shit and I would never accept that.

AJS914

by AJS914

The finish on my Litespeed Classic from back in the day (1994) was flawless.

McGilli

by McGilli

I've conversed with Chad @ Lynskey - and as I do not want to ship my frame back from Canada- they are going to send me a package containing the Scotch Brite pads they use, replacement head tube cups, and replacement decals.

While I wish it had arrived in a much neater state - I'm ok with doing the work myself on this to get it how I want it.

I'll update this thread though once the items have been received.

Antoine

by Antoine

not a big deal, my R320 wasn't that rough but I did some polishing and it went great.

I don't know those pads, I used motorbike stuff and it was pretty easy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

McGilli

by McGilli

Usually I'm pretty crazy about new things I buy - u know - making sure it doesn't get scratched.... at least I'm past that with this frame now :)