"Finishes" on Titanium bikes... Is this what a Ti frame should look like up close?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jrmynthn

by jrmynthn

sugarkane wrote:this is the finish on the mosaic i'm about to build

damn daniel. Which of their finishes is that? I need to decide on mine ASAP.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

jrmynthn wrote:
sugarkane wrote:this is the finish on the mosaic i'm about to build

damn daniel. Which of their finishes is that? I need to decide on mine ASAP.

RT-1

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bkw

by bkw

Be careful with the scotchbrite pads when 'polishing'. Use long straight directional strokes for an even brushed finish.

I used CapeCod polishing cloths on my last Ti (Litespeed) for more of a shiny/polished finish which I thought looked great. The coolest thing about Ti is that I was able to brush it back to matte with a little bit of scotchbrite gray. Also works great for getting rid of pesky little scratches too!

RussellS

by RussellS

My mid 2000s Litespeed Tuscany frame has a much better finish than yours. Not sure if this was before, after, or during when the original Lynskey sold the Litespeed company. Its gray of course, but the scratches, mill marks, are very small and blend in with the frame very well. You can pick out individual scratches if you look close enough, but you almost need a magnifying glass to see the scratches. Its a uniform scratched gray color, texture. Maybe not as nice a finish as the prior picture of the Mosaic frame. But not too far off. Nothing like the pictures you posted of long deep, clearly visible scratches on the frame.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

From the Litespeed's and Merlin's I've owned in the past the brush marks are usually directly across the tubing. Yours are angular, I was always advised to not rub the tubing with Scotchbrite in a longitudinal motion...