Suomy Gunwind - anyone have any experience with it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fixie82

by Fixie82

I'm looking for a new lid and the Suomy Gunwind has caught my eye. I was fairly set on a Protone but the fit is off for me and there is a lot of sideways movement in the temple area. I'm currently using Poc Octal size S and the fit is great but looking for a change.

I liked the Bontrager Ballista fit but it felt a little 'cheap' with the webbing and overall finish. Same with the Giant Rivet.

Has anyone got a Gunwind? What's the overall quality like? Fit wise is it more round or oval like Specialized? Is it easy to stow sunglasses?

So many choices on the market at the moment. Anyone have any other suggestions for a well fitting helmet suited to oval head shapes? Met Rivale? Scott helmets?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tmr5555

by tmr5555

I've handled them frequently over two years. The divisive design aside they are no heavier than any comparable helmet. Build quality is good as it should be. Suomy make excellent motorcycle helmets. The straps were a little wide in gen 1's. I believe this has been amended.
Ventilation is ok.
Regarding fit: better not mislead you, nothing beats physically trying a helmet on.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Thanks for the response tmr5555, totally understand your stance on fit. My only issues is that it's about a 1.5 hour trip to try one on where I am and wanted an idea of if it was worth heading out. If they lean towards oval like Specialized than I would, but if they are more round I would probably give it a miss.

4151zero

by 4151zero

I have had their mc helmets on my noggin before, and seemed a lil more rounded than long oval.

Perhaps their cycling helmets fit the same. Please let us know

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Fixie82 wrote:I'm looking for a new lid and the Suomy Gunwind has caught my eye. I was fairly set on a Protone but the fit is off for me and there is a lot of sideways movement in the temple area. I'm currently using Poc Octal size S and the fit is great but looking for a change.

I liked the Bontrager Ballista fit but it felt a little 'cheap' with the webbing and overall finish. Same with the Giant Rivet.

Has anyone got a Gunwind? What's the overall quality like? Fit wise is it more round or oval like Specialized? Is it easy to stow sunglasses?

So many choices on the market at the moment. Anyone have any other suggestions for a well fitting helmet suited to oval head shapes? Met Rivale? Scott helmets?

Yes, i have one. I like it. No problem with sunglasses.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.