Sram Etap - Rotor Q rings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bruno2000

by bruno2000

Finally got my hands on a sram etap groupset.
I'm perfectly happy withthe Dura-Ace DI2 I have on my both bike but well I wanted something new.
Problem I'm facing is the Rotor 3D+ cranksets and Rotor q-rings with the Sram etap frontderailleur.
Overshifting when I'm going to the big ring or chainrub in some gearcombinations which were no problem at all with DI2.

How can I adjust the front derailleur ? Maybe change the crank itself to a Sram Red crank with q-rings?
Or will it just not work at all?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

oskarbike

by oskarbike

I have the same problem :( Overshifting or chainrubing. Maybe this is solution: http://blog.artscyclery.com/road/ask-a- ... eur-setup/ ?

addicted

by addicted

Were you guys able to get the front etap shifting working properly with the oval chainrings??

track01

by track01

addicted wrote:Were you guys able to get the front etap shifting working properly with the oval chainrings??

Anyone tried q-rings with etap so far?

Planned to get same components but now I am unsure it works without mentioned front derailleur shims.
I thought the kit would only be necessary for QXL rings.
And wow, those are pricey spacers.
Last edited by track01 on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I went back to noq rings but if there is a good solution, i will be back on Q rings immediately.

Rev

by Rev

I've got regular Q-Rings on a Quarq Riken with etap. I've setup the front mech both with and without the thin Rotor front mech shim, and while it's marginally better with the shim, it's not markedly better, and might only have improved slightly because I might have got the height/angle slightly better second time around using the shim.

I had front shifting dialled in very well with mechanical Red22 and Q-Rings, I'd challenge anyone to prove it shifted worse than conventional rings. I can't say the same about etap though, it might just need some more work on my part, but I have to be fairly conscious of when I initiate a front shift since if I miss time a shift up to the big ring or my cadence is too low, the small overshift in the front mech wont necessarily be enough to catch a pin or ramp on the big ring and I'll miss the shift.

Realistically, it's probably best for the drivetrain that I don't shift to the big ring when I'm only spinning at 80 RPM anyway, but with mechanical I could throw a shift in every situation and worst case I'd just have to hold the shift paddle in an overshift a little longer until the chain caught a pin

stien

by stien

The official line from Sram is that nothing besides their rings will work. I found Shimano rings left much to be desired with Etap (throwing the chain) and have since switched to a new Red DZERO crankset. Also Shimano chains are loud on the big ring in bigger cogs, not rubbing just loud.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Philbar72

by Philbar72

I've got a friend with Etap and runs it with avariety of rings. works fine, except under extraordinary loads (sprint etc).