Retro Weenie Crankset.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I was just wondering if anybody could help me with some ideas? Possibly older WW's...

I have an old Magic Motorcycle chainset that I always loved and I would like to reuse them rather than shelf. I do have a habit of recycling old parts. Also remember these are from the days when 8 & 9 speed were around.

Q1. These cranks are already clear anodized so can they be re-anodized black over the current coating or possibly powder coated black?

Q2. Would the spacing between the chainrings be compatible with newer 10 or 11 speed chainrings such as Praxis? Would the chain jam between the chain rings?

Q3. Would machining a hole where the pedals thread in compromise the crank arm? I use Time Xpresso pedals and they only fit with Allen keys.

I understand with the cost to do all these I could probably buy a new chainset but I find this kind of fun...

Last edited by Wingnut on Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

2lo8

by 2lo8

I wouldn't re-anodize bonded cranks. I'd be concerned about the temperatures involved in powder coating as well since I have no clue what the epoxy is, and the epoxy can fail as is without subjecting it to chemicals or heat. If it was me, I'd stick to a wet paint only.

From memory, most crankset spiders have 3.5mm thick tabs. That might be different for some reason onthe MMs since they use proprietary chainrings, but it's easy enough to measure. Chainring tooth spacing is done with the chainrings, and 11 isn't necessarily closer together, they moves closer with 9, then they tried again with 10, then that had small-small rub issues, so they spaced them out again, but made the ramps deeper.

As far as the pedal threads go. You would think it would be fine, and I've seen some with holes in the back, but you would think they were already trying to shave every gram, and so there might be an issue with reducing the surface area for the epoxy if it wasn't designed for it, unless they only did a blind hole for aesthetics.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Thanks 2lo8!

I never considered the potential issues with regards to anodizing and powdercoating, I guess that counts colour out. I'm not so sure that that wet paint would be durable enough? I'll have to measure the spacing on the spider arms as I'm unsure what they are?

I'm fairly sure I can get the pedal access hole drilled and the edge tidied up. I now wonder also if I was to use these cranks what options are there with chainrings thst are silver or similar...TA or Stronglight are tye only ones that come to mind?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I have a pair of these on my mountain bike and I can remember a rep once saying the closed hole was aesthetics. These cranks are bombproof and if I had the road version I would put a pair of these rings on them to keep it "Modern Retro".....

http://absoluteblack.cc/premium-oval-ro ... chainring/

KB

by KB

KB-COL-020109008.jpg
Powder Coated.

I've had cranks and rings re-anodised without issue. Have done it to some Dale SISL and others. One was for BEEBEE30 and I don't think he had issues either. Can't find a pic of the Dale cranks. Have also had Campag cranks powder coated (see pic) without issue. However, I would be inclined to leave the existing cranks as-is, given that you'll be having a bare metal finish. I had mine done in the UK; don't know your location. But given the work you have put in, perhaps build an anodising bath (see Youtube) and DIY.

Best of luck because I love the look of these cranks.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Thanks for all the advice guys...I'll organise getting the pedal holes drilled/machined first and make some calls to a company I found that does both anodizing and powdercoating.

If I keep the cranks silver there are few chainring options in that colour...black is the most common.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com