Colnago C60 Tricolore with DA group set?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ironmancycle

by ironmancycle

Hey guys, my dilemma if you call it that is I am building my C60 and I was dead set on Campy SR eps, then I did too much research and decided mechanical is the way to go. I do long rides and train daily. While this is my second bike, it's still got to be dependable.
Now all I see are issues with the set and I am really thinking Shimano is the way to go.
Is it blasphemy to put Japanese on an Italian?
I'm definitely going with SRM and the meter is just beautiful on the Campy.
Help a guy out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beanbiken

by beanbiken

No not sacrilege. Quite common now to run Shimano on Italian. I have DA9070 on my Pinarello F8. I would shy away from Sram on Italian although I do know it does happen.
BB

Coffee & carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sounds like you're really liking that SRM campy power meter and I agree, it's very nice. So I don't know what the issue is... Campy SR Mechanical.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I've mainly heard good things about Campagnolo Eps...remember it's always the minority who shout loudest... [emoji6]

AJS914

by AJS914

Most of the bikes you see on colnago's web site are equipped with Shimano...

I like Campy but do what you like. There is no wrong answer.

corky

by corky

Eps user here for over 2 years.....never needed tweeking, never goes out of whack, just lovely quick non fussy shifting.

Buy what's good for YOU

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I'm not sure what you mean by "all I see are issues with the set." I have/have had several Colnagos with the new mechanical Record and SR and no problems whatsoever. Same goes for EPS (V2) which I have on three bikes including my main race bike. I wouldn't race on anything in which I didn't have absolute confidence.

TomColnago

by TomColnago

Never ridden eps but I love my mechanical record groupset but if it was worth the upgrade I would go eps. Dura ace on a C60 does look nice but campagnolo is the way to go and campagnolo mechanical is very very good and I've had no problems with it. :thumbup:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I have Shimano Dura Ace 9000 mechanical on my C-59. Who cares what other people think! Shimano works great, I like it and that's what matters. Besides you just need to pronounce Dura Ace by its correct Italian pronounciation, 'Duracci'
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

ironmancycle

by ironmancycle

Thanks for the opinions and feedback. Tough decision that's for sure!

alistaird

by alistaird

I have been looking at a C50 frame and definitely would go Campy mechanical. But as others have said, it's your choice - my other road bike is Sintessi (small Italian manufacturer now defunct) which I've got Ultegra on so who am I to comment.

A

ironmancycle

by ironmancycle

I pulled the trigger on campy super record mechanical with SRM power meter. Should be ready in a week or so. Very excited!!

corky

by corky

Pics when it turns up....

Keeno

by Keeno

I stumbled across this thread while trying to figure out what to do with a C60 frame that I recently purchased. I was dead set on dura ace because I love Shimano and have used it for years. However, a lot of cycling buddies have been pretty adamant that the C60 needs/deserves Campy. I have nothing against Campy - just never used it. Im a small guy and I'm concerned that the thumb lever will be a tough a reach in the drops. Not many people ride the stuff locally so I don't know that I would even be able to get a ride on it. Also concerned about wheel compatibility across bikes. I am also under the impression that it it will be easier to get components for the Shimano stuff.
A part of me just wants to say screw what everyone thinks, but there's this other side of me that wants to be traditional (and is even a little curious) in going the Campy route. Any thoughts would appreciated. If you suggest Campy, which group would you get?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, from a diehard Campy fan, in your case I'd say go with Shimano. For all the reasons you mentioned. It's a bit like being in the Canon or Nikon (or a bunch of others now), camp... you pick your system and become one with it. Sounds like you have other bikes so interchangeability of wheels and/or components is a nice thing. If you're truly curious and need to satisfy that itch to try Campy, then by all means this is the time to do it, on that bike. But it's certainly not mandatory. Plus, if you don't do all your own work, then that is another thing to think about... like you said, doesn't seem like theres many folks in your area using campy, so probably even fewer really know it's ins and outs to work on it properly.

So, listen to that part of you that's saying "Screw what everyone thinks" and get what you want. Trouble is, there's that little part of you that's curious. Only you can answer that one.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ