Colnago C60 Tricolore with DA group set?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

destinationwarmth

by destinationwarmth

Keeno wrote:So just a quick update: I know some folks that ride Campy, including the shop owner where I am getting the frame. They are just much bigger than me so no actual ride. That said I got my hands on the Campy hoods and put my hands in the drops. Seems nice. Don't think there will be an issue with the thumb lever like I thought.

Just try a Shimano Sora groupset with the thumb shifter. If you're good with it, you'll like Campy Super Record
/sarcasm

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

It does not matter which groupset is on your Italian bike.

Even if you decide to put 105 groupset on your C60, no one would have right to judge it.

I and my two senior colleagues ride C60.

Each bike has unique components and setting, we all enjoy C60 thoroughly.

i.e.

Colnago C60 PLBK 53 with Campy SR mechanical and Corima 32 S+
Colnago C60 RSRD 52s with DA 9100 and AX-lightness P24
Colnago C60 RSBK 52s with DA 9070 and Bora Ultra 50

https://m.imgur.com/a/gGiRx
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mark68

by Mark68

moonoi wrote:As far as mechanical group sets go, you can't beat SR, at the same time I do miss the simplicity of setup from when I had eTap and the shifting pattern is more intuitive.

If I was getting the Canyon I'd probably take the eTap equipped model from those 2, although what I've actually just order is the Aeroad SLX Disc 8.0 with Ultegra Di2.

Honestly though you won't be disappointed with either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Would love the C60 but that would work out more than double the cost of the Canyon package.
Tempted to fly to Germany to visit the factory before placing the order.
Enjoy the Aeroad, I tried one at a track day event last year and thought it was great.

Keeno

by Keeno

DavidMLee wrote:It does not matter which groupset is on your Italian bike.

Even if you decide to put 105 groupset on your C60, no one would have right to judge it.

i.e.

Thanks. I actually found out that one of the shop guys has a Tommasini with Campy. We ride the same size frame, so he's going to bring it this week and let pedal around a bit. Interesting that all the shop guys are telling me to forget the Campy thing.
I have been told that I can just take my Shimano wheels and throw them on a Campy bike. Both are 11-speed. Is that correct?

moonoi

by moonoi

That is indeed correct, I'm running a SRAM Red cassette on my Campagnolo SR setup without any issues, shifts beautifully and smoothly.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Keeno wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:It does not matter which groupset is on your Italian bike.

i.e.

Thanks. I actually found out that one of the shop guys has a Tommasini with Campy. We ride the same size frame, so he's going to bring it this week and let pedal around a bit. Interesting that all the shop guys are telling me to forget the Campy thing.
I have been told that I can just take my Shimano wheels and throw them on a Campy bike. Both are 11-speed. Is that correct?

I guess it is semi-correct.

What you gotta do to use Shimano wheels on a Campy bike is to use Shimano cassette with it since Shimano wheelsets do not have Campy freehub body.

So you get somewhat incomplete feeling that you are not using full groupset and there will be slight missteps in terms of RD movement.

Except those which are minor problem, it is completely fine to use Shim wheelsets and cassette on a Campy bike.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

moonoi

by moonoi

DavidMLee wrote:
Keeno wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:
So you get somewhat incomplete feeling that you are not using full groupset and there will be slight missteps in terms of RD movement.

Please tell me more about this incomplete feeling that I'm not having, and more importantly these slight missteps in terms of RD movement that don't exist [emoji846]

If you actually looked at the spacing differences between Shimano/SRAM and Campagnolo cassettes, you'd realize that it is so minor as to be irrelevant. I know of not one person you hasn't been able to setup their Campagnolo equipped Bicycle to work flawlessly with Shimano/SRAM cassettes. Hell there's even an article by Leonard Zinn on precisely this topic.

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

moonoi wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:
Keeno wrote:
DavidMLee wrote:

Please tell me more about this incomplete feeling that I'm not having, and more importantly these slight missteps in terms of RD movement that don't exist [emoji846]

If you actually looked at the spacing differences between Shimano/SRAM and Campagnolo cassettes, you'd realize that it is so minor as to be irrelevant. I know of not one person you hasn't been able to setup their Campagnolo equipped Bicycle to work flawlessly with Shimano/SRAM cassettes. Hell there's even an article by Leonard Zinn on precisely this topic.

I got it. I just prefer running Campag cassette with Campag RD.

Let's put it this way.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Keeno

by Keeno

Had the opportunity to get on a bike with Chorus yesterday. I really liked certain aspects of it. The multiple shifting is great. Brakes felt good. Hoods felt nice. Only thing that I disliked (a lot) was the lever throw on the rear derailleur. It takes significantly more effort to shift up the casette than it does on Shimano. The guys at the shop were swamped so I wasn't able to ask many questions. Does this lever action lighten up over time or is that just the way it is?

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Yes, it does lighten up noticeably after the first few hundred kilometres IME.

AJS914

by AJS914

Plus it's something you'd get used to quickly and then not even notice.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Keeno wrote:Had the opportunity to get on a bike with Chorus yesterday. I really liked certain aspects of it. The multiple shifting is great. Brakes felt good. Hoods felt nice. Only thing that I disliked (a lot) was the lever throw on the rear derailleur. It takes significantly more effort to shift up the casette than it does on Shimano. The guys at the shop were swamped so I wasn't able to ask many questions. Does this lever action lighten up over time or is that just the way it is?

Hmmm... I'm not sure it "lightens up" that much. It will never feel like a shimano lever does... which is soft touch and kind of "glides" over the cogs. Campagnolo is much more clicky, or even clunky, feeling... but not in a bad way despite the word "clunky". It's just solid. In 2009 they really lightened up the shifting but most people, especially the pros, didn't like it and they even came up with some stiffer bell washers to use, then stiffened up the spring in the rear derailleur. I think for a brief moment they maybe tried to imitate the Shimano feel, but that would be a huge mistake, since that solid "feel" is what I believe most Campy users like about it. One thing though... is that I've never yet had to rebuild an 11spd lever or even take one apart. Prior to 11spd, replacing the "g-springs" or a broken carrier was kind of a normal part of maintenance after a while. I'm not sure what it takes to wear out the current levers short of crash and actual breakage occurring.
And now it's funny how a lot of the effort going into development of the electronic shifters is to try and imitate that mechanical "feel". I like it, it's tactile, it works, ALL shifting options are available at any time, and you can see what's happening if something ever does go wrong, as opposed to a lot of head scratching wondering why some electrons seem to be flowing differently than they were a minute ago.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

DavidMLee

by DavidMLee

Calnago wrote:
Keeno wrote:Had the opportunity to get on a bike with Chorus yesterday. I really liked certain aspects of it. The multiple shifting is great. Brakes felt good. Hoods felt nice. Only thing that I disliked (a lot) was the lever throw on the rear derailleur. It takes significantly more effort to shift up the casette than it does on Shimano. The guys at the shop were swamped so I wasn't able to ask many questions. Does this lever action lighten up over time or is that just the way it is?

Hmmm... I'm not sure it "lightens up" that much. It will never feel like a shimano lever does... which is soft touch and kind of "glides" over the cogs. Campagnolo is much more clicky, or even clunky, feeling... but not in a bad way despite the word "clunky". It's just solid. In 2009 they really lightened up the shifting but most people, especially the pros, didn't like it and they even came up with some stiffer bell washers to use, then stiffened up the spring in the rear derailleur. I think for a brief moment they maybe tried to imitate the Shimano feel, but that would be a huge mistake, since that solid "feel" is what I believe most Campy users like about it. One thing though... is that I've never yet had to rebuild an 11spd lever or even take one apart. Prior to 11spd, replacing the "g-springs" or a broken carrier was kind of a normal part of maintenance after a while. I'm not sure what it takes to wear out the current levers short of crash and actual breakage occurring.
And now it's funny how a lot of the effort going into development of the electronic shifters is to try and imitate that mechanical "feel". I like it, it's tactile, it works, ALL shifting options are available at any time, and you can see what's happening if something ever does go wrong, as opposed to a lot of head scratching wondering why some electrons seem to be flowing differently than they were a minute ago.

I completely agree with this.

Having been riding Shimano/Sram for 3 years, it was Campy groupset that gave me legitimate tactile feeling for the first time.
Legend HT 9.5 RED 22
Colnago C60 Super Record
S-Works Tarmac 2016 eTap
S-Works Tarmac 2015 DA
Cervelo R3 2015 UT
Cervelo S2 2014 UT
Spesh Venge Elite 105

Keeno

by Keeno

Ok thanks everyone. Really appreciate the responses. I'm really on the fence. It doesn't help that I'm the most indecisive person ever either. Fact that I can interchange wheelsets makes this much more palatable to try out the Campy.

Keeno

by Keeno

Finally got this built up. After an internal struggle, I went with DA 9100. Hope this pic turns out. Had a tough time uploading it, but wanted to pass on. Appreciate everyone's advice, thoughts, tips, etc.
Attachments
c60.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com