trying to get a new bike - should i buy a whole package or build one up myself?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Hey,

I currently own a Specialized CruX E5 Sport (alloy) that I pretty heavily upgraded:
  • replaced stock DT wheels with Kinesis Crosslight Disc V3 Road/CX
  • replaced the tires with Continental's GP 4000s
  • replaced the whole crank for FSA K-Force Light Power2Max (180mm length, I'm pretty tall, 201cm)

I want to try something new and get/build a road machine and keep my crux for turbo trainer rides and/or gravel rides, I'm not sure yet.
My budget is around 5-6k$.

I wanted to get your opinion on whether is it better to buy a whole packaged bike or build one up myself. I kinda want something aero (like Aeroad/Bianchi Oltre/Vias/Madone) - I live in the area with a lot of flats (the highest elevation gain in the neighbourhood is like 1km per 140km of distance) and I don't think I really need a superlight climbing bike (I might be wrong).

On one hand I could get a super low-specced either of the bikes I mentioned and maybe just upgrade them in the future. Unfortunately all the aero frames I've seen are pretty expensive and would at least consume half of my budget. On the other I could just buy a frame (not sure if I actually need a carbon one, maybe CAAD12 would suffice) from Trek (Emonda SL/ALR) / Cervelo / .. and upgrade it with top components (like Etap and Bora Ultra wheels). I'm wondering which option could turn out better.

Looking for your opinions guys!

Regards,
lovemyway

kgt

by kgt

:welcome:
Many options...

My advice is to forget about 'aero', 'superlight climbing bike' etc. etc. and try to find a frame that :
a. fits you (fits your height, your weight, your riding characteristics, your performance, etc.) and
b. you like in terms of its looks.

IME the top frames are neither aero nor superlight.

Buying a whole bikes is usually cheaper but buying the frame and building the bike yourself is much more fun!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lovemyway

by lovemyway

kgt wrote:My advice is to forget about 'aero', 'superlight climbing bike' etc. etc. and try to find a frame that :
a. fits you (fits your height, your weight, your riding characteristics, your performance, etc.) and

Thanks for your reply! There's a huge problem with that - I ride big frames (61cm/24in and more) - at least in my CruX and the other trekking bike I have - and I have a really hard time finding a bikes in my size to test. In reality I can't do that, my LBS doesn't want to get the larger bikes to the shop because they might not sell them so I have to order the bike and pay for it if I want to ride it..

I know there are some test events in the country (I live in Poland), but there's only a few per year and only the biggest brands here show up (Specialized/Scott/Trek/Cannondale). The only thing remotely close to testing is checking the bike geometry and validating it against my CruX (I have a really fun ride on the bike, but it's not a road bike per se and I might get something lighter/more speed-oriented).

TomColnago

by TomColnago

I enjoy building bikes up to my spec and the fun in it is picking the bits you want :D with regards to frame size and getting a bike the right size I would suggest getting a bike fit and they should be able to tell you the best frame size and stem size etc to go for and then you can order the right size. Hope this helps :D

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I've had a bike fitting using Retul system and I have all the needed measurements. However, we (me and the fitter) kept the 110mm stem on my CruX - he said I could benefit from the longer one but if the current one (110mm) won't cause problems we could keep it. That's why I have pretty short reach on my bike - 388mm for 61 frame and the stack is 616mm. The only change I did change AFTER the fitting was getting a new 180mm crank (had 175mm FSA Gossamer before) but when I went to ask for a new fit the fitter just lowered the saddle and moved it to front a little.

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I have not bought an off the shelf road bike since the mid 80's. You will be able to tailor the components, fit, costs, and your personal needs much better building one up yourself.

-Eddie Bruner

mattr

by mattr

lovemyway wrote:I know there are some test events in the country (I live in Poland), but there's only a few per year and only the biggest brands here show up (Specialized/Scott/Trek/Cannondale).
TBH, if you are looking at giant sized frames 24"+, you will *probably* be better off with a frame from a big manufacturer. They'll have the budget to tailor the frame to the weights and power outputs of taller/heavier riders at a reasonable price. Smaller brands or custom you will tend to either pay through the nose for a large frame, or end up with a small frame stretched out. So smaller tube profiles/stiffness and so on.
The big brands are more likely to be able to support you in the event of a failure/issue.

Also, if you aren't so worried about colours/this years latest must have bike, the big brands shift last years or earlier bikes at a fraction of their new price. Usually somewhere between 25-50% off, depending on spec level and how old it is. Makes your budget go a lot further.
You can then upgrade as you go.

Something like a top end cannondale frame (Evo?) with ultegra or 105 11s, then upgrade to D-A as budget allows.

It's what i'm doing once i've saved some cash, getting the lowest spec available on the "best" frame. Then upgrading as stuff wears out. I've done it several times before as well. Always ended up with exactly the bike i want, for less money than i'd have paid retail, and no compromises on anything. Got the right bars, saddle, crank length, rims, tyres, gear ratios and so on......

Fluoro7

by Fluoro7

I think at that price point you will be much happier if you choose a frame and spec the components yourself. That is a lot of dosh, and you want to love the end result!
Wilier Zero7 (1st gen) Fluoro
RIP Cervelo R3 2012 White on Black

alistaird

by alistaird

Fluoro7 wrote:I think at that price point you will be much happier if you choose a frame and spec the components yourself. That is a lot of dosh, and you want to love the end result!

Have to agree with this. I've built up 1/2 dozen bikes and all of them have been better and lasted me longer than the one complete one I bought. Look out for the sales of last years frames and try and find one in the right size and go from there. Only thing I found to watch out for is some frames are electronic only now.

A

AJS914

by AJS914

Maybe you should add the Cervelo S series to your list?

lovemyway

by lovemyway

There is no Cervelo dealer in my city, I think I have to stick to Specialized/Giant/Trek/Cannondale for now. There are some Cervelo dealers in Poland, just not where I live.

As for the frames - I started looking at S-Works tarmac frames, but they are super expensive and I'm not sure if they are worth the money (plus I don't like the paints of this year version, maybe the cyan and the superblack could do). My LBS doesn't really want to sell me a frame-only option and I have a super hard time finding a good frame at my size. I can't find anything on ebay, "polish ebay" is full of Cube frames and the shops I find on the internet sell the frames with reduced prices but only sizes 54/56/58.

I could get a frame from abroad and buy the rest from European shops too, but I have literally no clue where should I be looking for large frames.

Pretty sure something like this could be the dream: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-S-WORKS-TA ... 2311119502 but it's just a bit too expensive and I don't really want to buy Enve stuff here because there is no dealer nearby in case of failure.

kgt

by kgt

It's true that current S-Works frame prices are crazy! Almost 4000 euros (in Greece that is) for a frame made in China. Please...

I would go for a Giant TCR SL. I find their quality being one or more steps above Trek's or Specialized or Cannondale's and they make-control everything in house.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

There's no Giant TCR SL model in Poland, the highest TCR is TCR Advanced 1 and the most expensive available bike is Propel Advanced PRO. Besides, the problem with giant is that their largest frame (XL) is too small for me :)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

You can order a custom build. I did and that usually can be bought with some discount compared to buying all parts separate.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

wheelsONfire wrote:You can order a custom build. I did and that usually can be bought with some discount compared to buying all parts separate.

Custom build what, where? Pretty sure this is still very relevant:

mattr wrote:TBH, if you are looking at giant sized frames 24"+, you will *probably* be better off with a frame from a big manufacturer. They'll have the budget to tailor the frame to the weights and power outputs of taller/heavier riders at a reasonable price. Smaller brands or custom you will tend to either pay through the nose for a large frame, or end up with a small frame stretched out. So smaller tube profiles/stiffness and so on.
The big brands are more likely to be able to support you in the event of a failure/issue.

EDIT: I guess I should add Canyon to my list.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com