trying to get a new bike - should i buy a whole package or build one up myself?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BugsBunny7788

by BugsBunny7788

For your budget there are heaps of options.

Without being an expert, but I'm a fan of Canyon and customer service and delivery issues aside, I think the range of models and their equipment options should be sufficient to get you an almost perfect setup. If anything, the most common thing I see with Canyon owners is they flip the original wheels and get something they prefer and secondly the aero cockpit is limited in stem length to get the fit you want.

Given the value for money aspects and all the rave reviews on how they handle/perform, I would put them on the list for a ready-to-go bike. But YMMV as Im not too good at mechanical stuff and don't have the patience to build a bike up.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

IF you're happy to ride Shimano or SRAM buying a whole bike make sense as there are many cracking deals out there. If you want Campag it becomes difficult. I've been in the market for a new bike all year and have been checking out the Canyons, however they don't offer a Campag Aeroad and then it becomes much more expensive to build your own and potentially run into compatibility problems these days. Also considering an Cervelo S5 but again not available in a Campag build. LBS said I was better off buying the whole bike and then selling the wheels and groupset... probably true but not a good situation really and it still puts the onus on me to recoup my money for kit I don't want.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lovemyway

by lovemyway

I don't mind riding either (I mean I have never ridden SRAM before and now I'm riding 105, so there's a huge room for improvement).

Thing with buying the whole bike just to keep the frame is that you have to sell all the stuff which is pretty troublesome and I'm not sure if it's even beneficial.

As for the Canyon - I might end up waiting to see their new lineup, kinda excited to see disc-brake versions and possibly new color schemes.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It depends on what frame you go for?

There are several bike shops/ dealers which can build a bike that you want. Exactly those components you want.
You have to look it up. Where are you located?
I ordered mine from Jedi sports in Germany.
Those dealers can order all components from those brands they carry.
Not just listed components.
You should check what brands the builder carry, then you can list down to specific detail and ask for a fixed price.

Mine came ready mounted.
I saved quite a deal compared to if i should have ordered all parts and frame at stock prices.
Also, you have a warranty at the bike build.
Why is this a good idea?
Well, if something would fail, you are not blamed for bad mounting.
You just turn to the builder/ dealer and tell them what failed (if something would that is)!

I just don't like when you are buying an expensive bike and you can not hand pick every component.
I just don't see the point in buying a bike like that.
I ordered mine with Di2 which i had never fiddled with.
So i thought it best, to have it done correct.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

stockae92

by stockae92

If you know exactly what you want and have a good budget, then building your own bike will be better. And will get you exactly what you want.

Buying a complete bike usually is a better deal, but you may want to swap out parts to get the exact spec that you want.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

That is what a custom ordered build is all about, getting exactly what you want!
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Allen254

by Allen254

Totally build it up yourself if you buy a fully hilt bike you'll just end upgrading the parts anyways. Just buy the frame.

lovemyway

by lovemyway

Ok, can you guys give me any advices on where to look for the frame? I live in Europe, specifically Poland.

My LBS guys are telling me I should buy a frame in Poland (it would be better if I bought it from them) because there wouldn't be so much issues with potential warranty - if I break the frame or something bad happens I'd have to send the frame abroad and wait long time for repairs. Basically I find my LBS not really wanting to cooperate when it comes to building a custom bike, they really want to sell the whole package.

bkw

by bkw

There's nothing wrong with working with your LBS, but if they keep pushing you on selling a complete bike, you should either find a different shop or insist that the customer is always right and sell you what you want. As for the delays in shipping and the hassle of dealing with companies out of country, that's the case for a very large percentage of us who havent purchased a bike made in-country.

steventran

by steventran

If I weren't picky about every component on my bike, I'd buy a complete bike with a suitable groupset. Unfortunately for my wallet, like many people here I want very specific parts on my bike. I don't mean I like a top end groupset and nice wheels. I mean things like EE brakes, wheels built on my choice of hubs, rims, and spokes, and surprise compatibility issues. So what type of person are you?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

lovemyway wrote:Ok, can you guys give me any advices on where to look for the frame? I live in Europe, specifically Poland.

My LBS guys are telling me I should buy a frame in Poland (it would be better if I bought it from them) because there wouldn't be so much issues with potential warranty - if I break the frame or something bad happens I'd have to send the frame abroad and wait long time for repairs. Basically I find my LBS not really wanting to cooperate when it comes to building a custom bike, they really want to sell the whole package.

May i ask you, what components you want?

Can you state (list) how you want your bike composed?
Are you sure you want a specialized bike?

I could suggest you talk to Jedi sports in Germany.
They always give you an offer.
You need not only pick from the parts that are shown in the web.
You can look at listed brands, and then specify a build with exactly those parts you want.

I can even send you an email address directly to Symen Schendel if that would be of interest to you?
They are surely taking care of you and will guide you. So you should not be afraid of asking or feel hesitant doing so.
I ordered my Open Cycle UP from Jedi sport and all things was excellent.
Even so, the bike is all built and supermely packed when sent to you.

I can for sure recommend them as i know for sure they are great persons.

Through years i have spoken over email with them and they are as i said, a great dealer.

This should work for you if you are in Poland.
Don't worry about warranty issues, or potential warranty issues if and when you deal with a real good dealer.
They will look after you for sure.

You are welcome to send me a PM if you have any questions you want to keep between us.
I will answer you in all honesty.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

lovemyway wrote:
kgt wrote:My advice is to forget about 'aero', 'superlight climbing bike' etc. etc. and try to find a frame that :
a. fits you (fits your height, your weight, your riding characteristics, your performance, etc.) and

Thanks for your reply! There's a huge problem with that - I ride big frames (61cm/24in and more) - at least in my CruX and the other trekking bike I have - and I have a really hard time finding a bikes in my size to test. In reality I can't do that, my LBS doesn't want to get the larger bikes to the shop because they might not sell them so I have to order the bike and pay for it if I want to ride it..

I know there are some test events in the country (I live in Poland), but there's only a few per year and only the biggest brands here show up (Specialized/Scott/Trek/Cannondale). The only thing remotely close to testing is checking the bike geometry and validating it against my CruX (I have a really fun ride on the bike, but it's not a road bike per se and I might get something lighter/more speed-oriented).

To test ride a bike like you ask for, i think you need to find a dealer that have such large bikes as test bikes.
I doubt many dealers will order a bike so you can test ride.

When i have tested bikes, it's in the lower end of a scale. Or have been offered to test a bike that someone in that store owns.

You should focus on finding a dealer that is trustworthy and is more in level with you.
The answer you have, a dealer that finds most things a problem at this stage, is not the right dealer for you.

You should probably look at Germany which has much more dealers.

There is nothing impossible with getting a bike custom built.
Buying off the shelf, often means better price, but if you then wish to change wheels, stem, handlebar, seat post or whatever really.
The idea of buying a bike off shelf is a rather bad deal.

I would seriously look for a dealer that is working in such manner they do build bikes after demand, rather than selling off the shelf.
It seems to me, this is what you look for?

You look for a tuning in a ride feel towards what you are biased towards. This asks for a dealer used to work in detail rather than bulk.

I think you see my point!?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)