Campy Record EPS 11 wrecks 2 chains in 750 miles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CANBERRARON

by CANBERRARON

Has anyone using Capy Record EPS v2 had the chain get jammed up in the top of the front mech, and twisted thru 90 deg too.
Running full Campy Record EPS v2, 50/34, 12-29 on Bianchi Speciallisima frameset. Freshly charged battery.

Happened twice to me, shifting from 34 to 50 coasting over a hill both times. Not multi shifting, just small to big at the front.
Front mech is set up spot on using campy tool and the chainrings/cranks true.
The rear is perfect and aligned true, and both rear and front shifting is normally faultless too.
The first suck/jam was at 250 miles, the second today at 750 miles. Before the first occurrence and before the second, all functioning was perfect.
First chain was KMC x11 EL gold, second was KMC X11 SL Black, both top quality.

Can anyone who knows about this, or experienced the same and found a fix please point me in the right direction. I'm rapidly losing confidence in Campy.
Last edited by Frankie - B on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: edited to remove the screaming from the topic title.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fabriciom

by fabriciom

Why would you spend all that money on a group to go an use a chain that is not from the group...

Ebruner

by Ebruner

I have a combines 20,000 miles on 2 different bikes with SR EPS, and never experienced anything like you have had happen.

-Eddie

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I've been on EPS since June of 2012 (2 road bikes bikes including one with a compact crank and one TT bike). Never had the problem you noted. A couple of times I've had it jam from large to small chainring under load (that's two or three times in four years).
I've only used Campy chains.
I have a couple of friends on EPS too, and they never had this issue either

OrPe

by OrPe

CANBERRARON wrote:Happened twice to me, shifting from 34 to 50 coasting over a hill both times. Not multi shifting, just small to big at the front.

Shifting front while coasting will put pressure on chain, at 90degrees.
now... with EPS/Di2 the pressure will be higher (quite a bit) than mechanical...

assuming i understand correctly "coasting" (i.e. not pedaling) than you have your root cause. never shift front while coasting...

Oren

fh8425

by fh8425

OrPe wrote:
CANBERRARON wrote:
assuming i understand correctly "coasting" (i.e. not pedaling) than you have your root cause. never shift front while coasting...

Oren

+1

my experience with my di2 is from small to big chainring, if you are pedalling rather/really slowly, it can get jam(I am on a KMC XL 11 chain).
Last edited by fh8425 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

I never build Campag bikes with non Campag chains.. They do work but never as well or as quietly as a nice record chain. It does sound though like your not peddling fast enough on the up shift. With eps it comes up fast and with a lot of force. If your not peddling fast enough it won't be far enough up to avoid been jammed into the big ring...

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Anyway I'd suggest to make the whole set being controlled by a Campagnolo SC. Even in the circumstances you mention it's quite extreme what you describe.

Then about the chain, although IMO nothing beats Campag (I actually use Record on my MTBs as well) a KMC is just fine and should cause no problems at all.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

CANBERRARON

by CANBERRARON

fabriciom wrote:Why would you spend all that money on a group to go an use a chain that is not from the group...

Thanks, did you just feel the need to blah though because that was not really that helpful.

KMC chain was used as I've never had a problem with them and they don't require the use of special tools to fit, ie quick link, and they're recommended use on Campy groups. It's not about the cost of the group as the Campy chain is cheaper than KMC.
Now, if the Campy Record chain actually works better than KMC on a Record group and the advice is to use a Record chain then cool, my mistake and I'll get a Record chain.

fabriciom

by fabriciom

I felt the need to point out the obvious since I have never herd of any problems with the EPS system relating to your situation.

If you buy into a system you should use all the components that system was built for. You bring external components what are you expecting?

Also, KMC and other sell links that you can use with your campagnolo chain, if you dont like the campagnolo link option.

CANBERRARON

by CANBERRARON

Sorry, but the obvious didn't really need pointing out in that fashion. Just sounded a bit ....... schoolyard bully, or cycling snob arrogance. No-one else felt the need. Thanks though.

CANBERRARON

by CANBERRARON

Thanks to all so far, some good ideas worth considering. My guess is changing to big ring too soon with a low cadence, changes with high cadence on the flat etc are fine and slick. So must be my awful habits.

My chain length is always done using the chain on front big, smallest rear, with the line through the jockey wheel centres being at 90 deg to the ground. So chain should be fine lengthwise anyway.

Campy Record chain ordered.

dj97223

by dj97223

Just a thought, but Campag instructs that a different method be used to determine chain length. Your method might result in too short a chain if you use larger cassette. Small and small with about a 1 to 2cm gap between the chain the bottom of the der. Detailed instructions should come with your chain. If not, they are available at campagnolo.com.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

CANBERRARON

by CANBERRARON

Good call, just checked out the Campy support section and read that. The chain length measurement should really be ok for all systems however, agree with you that Campy may just need to have the chain done their way. Pretty sure it will result in the same length but will give it a go anyway. Thanks

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

1) I would use a Record chain. I don't know who recommends KMC chains for use on Campy systems (KMC no doubt), and they could very well work just fine, but I haven't used one and it's really frustrating to try helping someone who initially states they are running "full campy" and they're having a chain issue, only to find out they're not even using a Campy chain. That would be the first thing I change, and make sure the length is properly adjusted (10-15mm gap in small/small).
2) And like others have already said, the cadence should always be sufficient to enable a quick easy lift. With EPS or Di2, there is no "finessing" or "managing" of the front derailleur movement. When you push that button the front derailleur is going to move and move hard. If the chain isn't moving fast enough at that time the potential for it to get jammed into the side of the big ring instead of jumping up super clean is much greater.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com