Best Aero handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RyanH

by RyanH

I wish we knew how the Ergonova type bars stacked up (Haero Carbon's is the same shape).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

The Trek aerobar is no longer listed on Trek's website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

RyanH wrote:I wish we knew how the Ergonova type bars stacked up (Haero Carbon's is the same shape).

These oval-shaped tip profile bars are not true aero designs I think. My Haerocarbon 145 is coming in a day or 2, let you know if it tapers like my zipp sl 70...

Stalkan

by Stalkan

I've used the Bontrager xXx Aero in 38 and quiet liked the feel of their shape and it's one stiff bar. I'm currently on the Aeronova LTD and it's lighter and sleeker looking, IMO. However, it is a little flexy in the chinese ripoff version that someone on eBay passed off as authentic and it also isn't very durable breaking on me during a race. The real Aeronova is nice, however. I just pulled it of my Felt Aero Road and placed it on my U.P. and it's seen every bit of the carnage the fake one did and has come out just fine. In fact, it survived a nasty crash today that sent me to the hospital. As well as one in the Crit at Nationals back in May. It's also a quite bit stiffer; though, I would still give the edge to the Bontrager there. I've also used the Zipp Vuka Sprint, which I liked but wanted something narrower so decided to give the Bonty a shot. The Zipp bar was noticeably flexy, too. I did like the SS setup and found it very comfortable in the drops. The Bontrgar's flare meant my wrist would never hit the tops when sprinting or climbing in the drops. I did notice myself hitting the ripoff 3T when in the drops climbing and sprinting but it's shape is slightly different than the real version.

The bontrager width is measured at the hoods, the 3T's are at the end of the drops, and I am unsure of Zipps method, but believe it is at the hood.

To surmise:
– Bontrager is the stiffest of the four bars I've tried. However, aesthetics and branding might not work with what you have.
– Chinese 3T Aeronova (I can give you the username of the eBay individual so you can steer clear) flexy, heavy, and fragile.
– Genuine 3T Aeronova light, comfy, strong, and the reach isn't as big a deal as the number suggest. Interestingly, you work out with two "hoods" position. Best looking aerobar out there.
– Zipp VukaSprint Nice bar but nothing stood out: not the lightest, not the stiffest, and not the most comfortable.

Since this is WW:

- Bonty xXx Aero38cm 218g
- Rip-off Aeronova LTD 40cm 225g
- 3T Aeronova LTD 40cm 197g
- Zipp Vuka Sprint 40cm was unable to find the weight, but I recall it being slightly more than the Bonty.

Climbing on the tops:

- Bonty, is super comfy (takes no adjustment vs a round bar) with a flat level bar that is a bit thicker allowing you to wrap your hands around it if that is your preference.
- AeroNova (same for both versions) takes getting used to since the shape drops off before coming back up at the hoods. Totally comfortable for me; however.
- VukaSprint sweet forward design, for me, made the tops useless.

Marin

by Marin

Thanks for reporting your findings! Interesting to see that the real Aeronovas are that light.

Did the fakes break in a crash or unprovokedly?

Stalkan

by Stalkan

They broke at Poolesville Road Race in Poolesville MD. For those that did that race this year you know the right side of the gravel section was littered with holes. I caught a couple of those holes following wheels and it was after we came out of that first section that I noticed the left wing of the bars was floppy. No crash due to the break and no other damage. I was on my AR with 38 carbon tubes laced to WI hubs and sporting Schwalbe One in 28 (the older "Roubaix" version). Outside of the bars the bike was perfect for that race; but alas, even though I had good legs and got a ticket making it there on time (left too late for all the folks I had to pick up) my race was cut short due to some dude passing crap off as authentic. I guess I am still a little bitter. :wink:

Any how. Lesson learned and I will pay a little more to ensure I get the real thing in the future. The real Aeronova LTD is quite nice and I highly recommend it. If you are comfortable with your reach now and still jump on the rivet when hammering I think you will be okay in that regard. And the looks....is there anything else out that looks better? The Ritchey integrated unit looks nice and is light as well.....maybe that guy if I had it to do over again.

Included some photos so you can see it on both road bikes, as well as the Bonty for comparison.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

kkibbler wrote:Easton EC90 42 c-c
I like that it has straight tops vs something with massive forward flaring like Aeronova. Shape-wise it's pretty similar to Aerofly.
Unfortunately the clamp area is quite narrow, may have trouble with some stem and Garmin mount combos.
2 holes next to shifters for cable routing, 1 inner 1 outer. I imagine it suits any brand of shifter just fine.

I just went through the same search and settled on the Easton bar in 40cm. I'm quite happy with it.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

So I've ordered a 3T Aeronova LTD in 40cm.

Took on board the reach thing, and I'll see how I get on.

Found it for 250 Euros, (275$) in the end.

kode54

by kode54

best is relative. i've had a Zipp and also 3T Aeronova. eventually went with the Enve SES which i liked the best. out of all 3 bars, i liked all the hand positions on it. because of the narrow bars at the top...the flared portion (42cm) at the drops were perfect for comfort and clearance. i kept the Zipp bars on one bike while i tried the 3T on another...then picked the most comfort one for me...then did the same with the Enve SES and eventually changed out the 3T bar for the Enve. so two bikes have the Enve SES while i have a traditional round bar on my IF.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I'm happy with my canyon h11 .. Very stiff.. I have the narrow one with short stem so 326g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Zak

by Zak

For those of you who have used the 3T Aeronova. I seem to remember that when the bar came out there was talk about that the design alloved a position where you hold have the hands on the brakehoods and resting the underarms on the tops of the bar. If I remember correctly, do you find that position useful and effective?

Stalkan

by Stalkan

@Zak, with the 6770 shifters on the AR I tried it and didn't find it comfortable. I have not tried it with SRAM's 10spd RED on the UP yet. It does seem like a natural fit, but it's not for me, I guess.

wingguy

by wingguy

GothicCastle wrote:Note that (I believe) these bars flare out a bit on the drops, so the 40 bars are not 40 on the hoods, where you might want it.

Yeah, they come out almost exactly one size down. So a 40 is pretty much bang on 38 C2C on the shifters.

kode54

by kode54

Zak wrote:For those of you who have used the 3T Aeronova. I seem to remember that when the bar came out there was talk about that the design alloved a position where you hold have the hands on the brakehoods and resting the underarms on the tops of the bar. If I remember correctly, do you find that position useful and effective?

yes. in fact on most aero bars that are flat on top. the Enve is my favorite since the top is really flat.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DuncanS

by DuncanS

Yes. I spend most time in that position. I use Aeronovas, with hoods toed in to help with this position.

Back to the question of "riding on the tops". I only really find it comfortable on the Aeronovas with false grip, ie thumbs on top alongside palm. Not so comfortable to wrap thumbs underneath.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk