Best Aero handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DuncanS

by DuncanS

I'd day most of the gains are from narrower arm position. I'm presuming the aero profile 42 is narrower at the hoods.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

DuncanS wrote:I'm presuming the aero profile 42 is narrower at the hoods.

Not the way Zipp measure their bars.

hongsj

by hongsj

enve ses aero handlebar.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Well, my 40cm at drop end Enve SES Aero road handle bar (~36cm on the hood) 's mounting surface rough coating has strip badly after year and many times of stem changing/bar slipping due to bad stem/bolt become lose from vibration/crash. Now even with good stem, carbon paste and torque stem bolt to 7N.m it still slip on pothole so it's due to replacement.

My requirement limit my choice so badly since i need
-no wider than 38cm center to center on the hood. <-many bar like Easton and Pro Vibe Aero has 40 as smallest size.
-have some flare angle if possible. No need to flare as much as Enve. But something like 4 degree is sufficient.

Any other choices other than Zipp SL-70 Aero and Enve SES Aero road?

jlok

by jlok

Hexsense wrote:Well, my 40cm at drop end Enve SES Aero road handle bar (~36cm on the hood) 's mounting surface rough coating has strip badly after year and many times of stem changing/bar slipping due to bad stem/bolt become lose from vibration/crash. Now even with good stem, carbon paste and torque stem bolt to 7N.m it still slip on pothole so it's due to replacement.

My requirement limit my choice so badly since i need
-no wider than 38cm center to center on the hood. <-many bar like Easton and Pro Vibe Aero has 40 as smallest size.
-have some flare angle if possible. No need to flare as much as Enve. But something like 4 degree is sufficient.

Any other choices other than Zipp SL-70 Aero and Enve SES Aero road?

The 3T Aeronova almost meet your 38cm requirement at ard 38.5cm at hood and 40cm at drop... will go home and measure just to make sure.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Thenuge

by Thenuge

So if I want to get some aero bars is the Zipp SL70 a good bet with the Zipp Sprint stem? I don't want any exaggerated reach numbers like it sounds with the 3T's. I also want something stiff but yet maybe more compliant then aluminum? But def s focus on stiffness.

Also width. I'm 6'1" or 185cm with fairly broad shoulders. I'm typically on 44cm bars but it seems like more and more people are going to 42?

Lililchti

by Lililchti

DamenH85 you've got an awesome bike, slightly jealous :D
I always need more, i work more to get more.

seansis

by seansis

If I want to install a clip on aerobar which aero handlebar should I choose?
Now I have Deda rhm 2 so I'm looking for a handlebar with similar parameters. Suitable only Zipp sl 70 aero, but it is not compatible with clip on aerobars.
If I buy 3T Aeronova, then I will have to greatly reduce the length of the stem. (now 110mm -> 80mm)

What choice do I have?
Last edited by seansis on Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

rossjm11

by rossjm11

Thenuge wrote:So if I want to get some aero bars is the Zipp SL70 a good bet with the Zipp Sprint stem? I don't want any exaggerated reach numbers like it sounds with the 3T's. I also want something stiff but yet maybe more compliant then aluminum? But def s focus on stiffness.

Also width. I'm 6'1" or 185cm with fairly broad shoulders. I'm typically on 44cm bars but it seems like more and more people are going to 42?

I found the SL70 with the Sprint stem to be an uncomfortable combo. Currently using a Pro Vibe Carbon bar, so not aero. Maybe consider the aero Pro bars too
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

morganb

by morganb

rossjm11 wrote:
Thenuge wrote:So if I want to get some aero bars is the Zipp SL70 a good bet with the Zipp Sprint stem? I don't want any exaggerated reach numbers like it sounds with the 3T's. I also want something stiff but yet maybe more compliant then aluminum? But def s focus on stiffness.

I found the SL70 with the Sprint stem to be an uncomfortable combo. Currently using a Pro Vibe Carbon bar, so not aero. Maybe consider the aero Pro bars too

The SL70/Sprint combo is my favorite front end I've ridden so far, its definitely stiff but I never found it uncomfortable, even on long rides in a very low position. I run big tires/wide rims all of the time so that might mitigate some of the harshness though.

seansis

by seansis

Will someone answer my question?

rossjm11

by rossjm11

morganb wrote:
rossjm11 wrote:

The SL70/Sprint combo is my favorite front end I've ridden so far, its definitely stiff but I never found it uncomfortable, even on long rides in a very low position. I run big tires/wide rims all of the time so that might mitigate some of the harshness though.

I can certainly see that. I just found the flats super harsh on the SL70s, running Zipps with 25s.
BMC SLR01 2015
Redline Conquest Team

inchul

by inchul

There are a lot of products these days
Is Aeronova good and not good?
sinker

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Like many things, it's both and not good, also depending what you are using it for