Best Aero handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stueys

by Stueys

sawyer wrote:3T Aeronova here ... but also about to try a Ritchey Streem WCS (both carbon)

3T is pretty good. Comfortable on the hoods and allows a low aero position with hands wrapped round the very top of the (in my case) Ergos with arms low down resting on the bars

Drops feel a bit flexy to me when sprinting on them. I am not a great sprinter but if that is a concern I would steer away from this bar as others are stiffer in the drops for sure

Weight was good ... 195g

Was this the aeronova or the aeronova ltd? From what I understand the LTD is supposed to be stiffer?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Stueys wrote:
sawyer wrote:3T Aeronova here ... but also about to try a Ritchey Streem WCS (both carbon)

3T is pretty good. Comfortable on the hoods and allows a low aero position with hands wrapped round the very top of the (in my case) Ergos with arms low down resting on the bars

Drops feel a bit flexy to me when sprinting on them. I am not a great sprinter but if that is a concern I would steer away from this bar as others are stiffer in the drops for sure

Weight was good ... 195g

Was this the aeronova or the aeronova ltd? From what I understand the LTD is supposed to be stiffer?

Aeronova. Not sure if LTD is stiffer. It is different carbon I think so quite possibly. For general riding and the odd sprint the Aeronova is fine, but if you're racing I'd avoid tbh
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I have the Aeronova LTD and it's plenty stiff enough for me.

195g is pretty good for a non-LTD - that's what mine weighed in 40cm. I cannot get any flex at all in the hoods, but I do feel a tiny bit at the end of the drops, but nothing to concern me. It's a very nice bar.

sawyer

by sawyer

cyclespeed wrote:I have the Aeronova LTD and it's plenty stiff enough for me.

195g is pretty good for a non-LTD - that's what mine weighed in 40cm. I cannot get any flex at all in the hoods, but I do feel a tiny bit at the end of the drops, but nothing to concern me. It's a very nice bar.

Yes ... I should clarify at the hoods the bar is really stiff. I mostly climb on the hoods like many so it's great for that - as good as anything I've tried. Just a bit more flex on the drops. That does have the plus of making the drops a touch more comfortable to barrel along in but overall a bit flexy on the non-LTD I'd say ...
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

KarlC

by KarlC

Best is narrow, Narrow is Aero, go down in size.
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

F45

by F45

I've been looking at the Easton EC70 Aero. Similar shape the Aerofly, but $100USD cheaper.

TiCass

by TiCass

Yeah, but not available in 38cm... which is a must to be aero!

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^40 is pretty narrow for big guys. I'd like to try a 38 but my 40cm EC70 Aero is already narrower than anything else I've had or what's usually recommended.

blakemulder

by blakemulder

Does anybody notice any real world benefit from using these or are we talking (very) marginal gains??

kgt

by kgt

If there were any real world benefits all pros would ride aero bars. The only actual benefit is for those who prefer a flatter bar grip. Some of them look great though, like the new one from Ursus:

cymans

by cymans

The Easton EC90 Aerobar 40cm are very nice. Plenty stiff for me coming from Vuka sprint 42cm.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Cervelo seem to think that the handlebar is the most important aero component on the bike (I think I saw a figure of 60% bandied around at one point?). But I take anything Cervelo says with a pinch of salt.

One thing that I often wonder is that you can have the most aero bar in the world, but nearly all the air leaving the bar then hits your thighs (or stomach depending on how 'pro' your position is!), which are distinctly un-aero.

But I like my 3T Aeronova, and psychologically at least it's faster for me, and that's all that matters right?!

TiCass

by TiCass

Well, there is that:

topflightpro

by topflightpro

So, if I am reading that chart correctly, as a person who rides a 42, if I went from my basic round bar to an aero bar, I could save anywhere from about -5 watts to about 60 watts, based on the deviations, with the more likely figure being about 20 watts, average to average.

Zak

by Zak

You are reading correctly. This little test was published in a larger test of (if I remember correctly) aero frames. Tour were themselves surpriced by the little eksperiment with the handelbars. I have been waiting for them to investigate further into it in a later, more dedicated test, but they have never done that. Maybe I should suggest that to them...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com