Best Aero handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Philbar72

by Philbar72

Chans1ee wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:26 pm
I heard that 3T Aeronova LTD is not too much rigid.
I think zipp sl70 aero handlebar is best choice, because that handlebar is pretty rigid, fully aero, not expensive.
Re Sl 70, its not the best for full on sprinting. its fairly aero, and not actually that Stiff.... they are very comfy though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morganb

by morganb

Philbar72 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Chans1ee wrote:
I think zipp sl70 aero handlebar is best choice, because that handlebar is pretty rigid, fully aero, not expensive.
Re Sl 70, its not the best for full on sprinting. its fairly aero, and not actually that Stiff.... they are very comfy though.
I found the SL70s to be pretty stiff and I'm a strong sprinter, if not heavy, especially in comparison to every other aero bar. I am running 38cm though so it may be that the narrower ones have less flex.

Marin

by Marin

I also find that some bar flex is not a problem at all when sprinting since you will be riding at high cadence and aren't pulling as strongly as e.g. when climbing out of the saddle.

prebsy

by prebsy

Figured I'd jump in the discussion having rode quite a few aero handlebars.
Owned:
- zipp sl70aero 38cm (twice)
- aerofly riser 38cm
- bontrager xxx aero 40cm
- aeronova pro (one size fits all 42 at drop 40ish at hood)
- aerotundo team 40cm (felt like a noodle, never installed)
- deda superzero aero alloy 40cm (not actually aero, never installed)

My favorite being the zipp sl70aero in 38cm. The sl70 is aero, stiff, comfortable to sprint on and a decent weight. I haven't found another aerobar that can do this in 38cm. The aerofly is also great but you need to do a riser to get 38cm and is a show stopper for most. It does have all the traits of the sl70 so if you don't need 38 or need the rise it's a good option.

If you have absolutely NO interest in sprinting/racing go with the aeronova pro....maybe the ltd. The extended reach is meant for folding yourself over on the hoods and it works. If you are crushing k's on the flats not only will this make your bike a smidge faster it will make your body position A LOT FASTER. The extended reach also makes sprinting in the drops a wrist slapping nightmare. I'll also throw the bontrager in the wrist slapping category but that's down to their VRC bend which gives lots of people trouble. The aeronova pro in alloy is heavy but a lot stiffer than the carbon variants. I purchased a set of aerotundo teams and wouldn't dare put them on my bike the flex was perceivable just wrenching the bar.

morganb

by morganb

I liked the Aerofly when I was running 40 cm and it had a good drop shape, but I found that it forced the hoods into too low of a position with mechanical routing, I think it might be okay with Di2 though.

prebsy

by prebsy

Aerofly actually routed quite nicely with sram mechanical but every brand is different.

themidge

by themidge

prebsy wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:45 pm
The aeronova pro in alloy is heavy but a lot stiffer than the carbon variants. I purchased a set of aerotundo teams and wouldn't dare put them on my bike the flex was perceivable just wrenching the bar.
I know it depends a lot on your riding style but in my (somewhat limited) experience, how flexy a bar is in your hands doesn't seem to match how it is on the bike. My (alloy and not aero) ritchey wcs neoclassics were fairly easy to bend off the bike but on the bike they've been absolutely fine. They're definitely not noticeably flexier than my old stock b'twin ones which feel very solid on and off the bike (100g heavier)

Philbar72

by Philbar72

morganb wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:55 pm
Philbar72 wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:50 pm
Chans1ee wrote:
I found the SL70s to be pretty stiff and I'm a strong sprinter, if not heavy, especially in comparison to every other aero bar. I am running 38cm though so it may be that the narrower ones have less flex.
running 40's and actually put out a new 10 second peak the other day on them... so much for saying they aren't stiff... :D

TLN

by TLN

Is there anyone who used 3T Aeronova and Specialized Aerofly.
Have Spesh bar, but have troubles installing Red Hydro in there. Both cables should go to inner hole (hydro) while on mech shifter they're on different sides. Thinking about swapping mine for Aeronova because of that.
His: Orbea Orca OMX
Hers: Cannondale Synapse HM Disc

are

by are

I like round drops so the Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem II and the WCS Carbon Solostreem look interesting ... do people really just not use those?

Seems like the Zipp sl7-aero might be a good non-classic drop option ...

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

are wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:02 am
I like round drops so the Ritchey WCS Carbon Streem II and the WCS Carbon Solostreem look interesting ... do people really just not use those?

Seems like the Zipp sl7-aero might be a good non-classic drop option ...
funny you mention it... I just purchased one and it's in the mail(streemII). Not sure what stem I'm going to pair it with.. I want something aero as well or maybe superlight... tempted to send it off to Berk for a makeover.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

hyvent

by hyvent

i have the 3t aeronova team that came with the Felt AR1 in 40cm.
the reach for me is fine as i am using a 110mm stem. however if i were to change to to a sl70 then i would prolly need a 120 or 130 stem to get the same position.
on the sprints, it does flex a little on the drops. im not a person that notices much flex at all in general on the bike but the bar flex is present and brings attention.
for me i find the hoods fairly comfortable, not the best but it does the job.
if i were to get a new bar, i'd deff go for a narrower 38cm zipp sl70 because of the extra room to mount things on.

hyvent

by hyvent

hyvent

by hyvent

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:13 pm
hyvent wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am
That's a great looking bike... beautiful!
Thanks Rich, I bought my Yoleo C50s because of ur review back in summer 2016

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com