Best Aero handlebar?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

The Aeronova LTD's have arrived and weigh 196g in 40cm, which is a nice surprise as the excellent, but un aero Syntace Racelite was 203g.

Beautiful packaging, very Apple like, but typically Italian in that there are no instructions...

There are cable guides, but getting the brake outers through is proving VERY difficult. I had bought some new Jagwire to try, but have now given up as it is thicker and stiffer than SHimano and I just cannot get it through. Fortunately I had some Shimano BC9000 lying around so I have just managed to get that through, but not without a fight!

Finishing off now, and will hopefully ride today if the rain stops...!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Finally finished, it's definitely not just a quick 'swap your bars' over job, but looks neat and tidy.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Quick 33km hilly ride - gotta say I love this bar!

I'm more than happy to critique stuff I've bought that isn't quite all there (cf. Sworks shoes and Corima wheels), but these bars are great.

The extra reach suits me quite well - it feels comfy, and I already have a 130mm stem. Maybe a change to a 120mm would be prudent, but so far so good. You kind of get two hood positions - full hood where you are pushed right over, and half hood where your hand is resting a bit further back. Both feel good.

Good in the drops too, but the drop is the same as my old Syntace Racelite.

Feels slightly odd at first on the flats, but not uncomfy.

No stiffness issues either - I pulled hard out of the saddle and felt great to me.

I was intending on putting the Syntace on my 2nd Sworks build, but I'm tempted to sell it and buy a 2nd one of these....

micky

by micky

Selcof has a new aero bar soon on the market.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

cyclespeed wrote:The extra reach suits me quite well - it feels comfy, and I already have a 130mm stem. Maybe a change to a 120mm would be prudent, but so far so good. You kind of get two hood positions - full hood where you are pushed right over, and half hood where your hand is resting a bit further back. Both feel good.

What was the reach or your original bar? Looking to do the same but it looks like I'll have an additional 34mm reach on this bar compared to the existing one (70mm vs 104mm). My current stem is 100mm so it looks like I need a shorter stem.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Thanks, but I see no reason to stick to Specialized if there's no overwhelming reason to do so.
The Sworks bar looks quite nice, but I prefer the 3T.
For example, the Sworks seatpost was the first thing to go on Ebay when I got my framesets. It's a boat anchor.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

TarugoKing wrote:
cyclespeed wrote:The extra reach suits me quite well - it feels comfy, and I already have a 130mm stem. Maybe a change to a 120mm would be prudent, but so far so good. You kind of get two hood positions - full hood where you are pushed right over, and half hood where your hand is resting a bit further back. Both feel good.

What was the reach or your original bar? Looking to do the same but it looks like I'll have an additional 34mm reach on this bar compared to the existing one (70mm vs 104mm). My current stem is 100mm so it looks like I need a shorter stem.

My Syntace Racelite was 90mm reach, (measured centre to tip, not centre to centre), so I reckon I gained 20mm of reach.

I'm quite comfortable with it like that - I was thinking of getting a 120 stem i/o 130, but I probably won't bother now.

cobrakai

by cobrakai

TarugoKing wrote:

I think 3T's measurement method on the aeronova must be a little wonky... I think they measure from the trailing edge of the flat section for reach. If you look at the fairwheel bikes testing they measured only a 4 mm difference in reach from the ergonova to the aeronova: http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... ar-review/

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

Yes I was looking at that. Don't know how they came up with that measurement though.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Maybe it has to do with the shape of the bar and / or how you angle it?
I agree, i have some bars at home which says it's 3-5 and 10mm difference between them.
I think it seems none of them match those numbers.
It's a bit of hassle this one, if you order a new stem thinking it is supposed to match the reach of bar and stem of what you prefer.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

TarugoKing

by TarugoKing

CrankAddictsRich wrote:You've got a Specialized... the obvious choice is S-Works Aerofly.

The new model looks a whole lot better with the matte finish (and no logos) - imho. :thumbup:

Junior7

by Junior7

wore Zipp SL-70, today use 3T aeronova, I am well pleased.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

3T Aeronova here ... but also about to try a Ritchey Streem WCS (both carbon)

3T is pretty good. Comfortable on the hoods and allows a low aero position with hands wrapped round the very top of the (in my case) Ergos with arms low down resting on the bars

Drops feel a bit flexy to me when sprinting on them. I am not a great sprinter but if that is a concern I would steer away from this bar as others are stiffer in the drops for sure

Weight was good ... 195g
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup: