What happened to my Veloplug? Pics inside...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I still think latex is the culprit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I asked No tubes what size my Avion rims have, talking spokes hole diameter.
This to buy Veloplugs. Now i am really unsure it is a good idea using these plugs?
Do they leak? So sealant comes inside the rim?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There is always one person who has a problem with a product. Whenever there is a bunch of people, then you might want to steer clear.

Veloplug's do not seem to have a bad rap and seem to hold up when properly used/installed. Use them in a wrong size hole, reuse them, etc will probably lead to issues. I use latex tubes exclusively and never had an issue. I have used them on a tandem where the tire pressures are 130psi too. The only problem I had was when I forgot to install one in a hole and the tube blew. I had about 80psi before the latex tube blew.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

I build my own wheels for the last 20 years... so not always perfect results. I use latex for the last... 6 seasons, with veloplugs, never a problem. My problem is breaking aluminium spoke nipples, because I used old school ones with the opening. They crack there. Thanks to veloplugs system I can repair each one, and not patching or replacing a full rim strip... great fro latex in my experience, using vittoria latex tubes, the thin ones. Now switched to the 25-28 size with vittoria 28, and even happier.

my only concern is, where can I buy more? are they closed?

AZR3

by AZR3

Just had this issue the other day when I was swapping my butyl tubes to latex. I popped the rear tube sometime (came back several hours later to a flat rear) after I swapped in the latex tube. Patched the tube and tried again and it blew out at 30 psi. Examined the tire and didn't see anything and looked at the rim and one of the plugs had fail just like the one pictured here. The center portion fell into the rim and it was a pain to get it out.
I've been using veloplugs for over 8 years, with about a dozen wheel sets, and this is the first time I've ever encountered a failure. These particular plugs have been in these wheels for about 4-5 years but I haven't used the bike much in the past 3 years due to switching mainly to my gravel bike which is tubeless. I'll have to inspect the other plugs for signs of cracking/failure.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sometimes I put a plug on the valve hole by mistake. :lol: :oops: