2016 TCR SL 0 V Cannondale super six evo black

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gavin

by gavin

Hey guys anybody got any thoughts on these 2 as i am looking to buy and can't decide which is better.

I have a TCR advanced 1 at he moment and it is a good bike weighs 7.8 kg with pedals and cages .

I like the di2 on the TCR SL but prefer the enve wheels on the supersix

Both are going to be same money so really not sure which to go for.

They both fit and supersix was nice ride on demo

Could not demo TCR because of saddle

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gavin

by gavin

Anybody have any experience on these two bikes ?

Any thoughts on which is better ?

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

I haven't ridden the TCR but I do own a Supersix and I genuinely couldn't be happier with it. It does everything well and is a pleasure to ride. The Black inc. models are superb so I'm sure you would love it.

stoney

by stoney

See if you can test ride a TCR Advanced Pro 0. It's the same geometry at the SL model but it has the seat post. If it works for you then you know the SL would...except the SL is probably a few grams lighter and some say comfier.

mimason

by mimason

I just had a deal fall through on a 16' TCR SL that I had a chance to ride recently and as a reference also own an 11' TCR SL and an F8. The TCR is very light and the pedal response reminded me of the Cervelo R3/R5 and how responsive pedal inputs provide. The TCR BB feels stiffer than the F8 and had more neutral handling. It was a size ML 110stem and my F8 is a 54/120 so that could be a reason for the different handling characteristics. I'm somewhat bummed my deal soured.

I have no reference to that model 'Dale but they both would be awesome rides.

gavin

by gavin

Thanks for the responses guys

I have found the TCR very comfortable as I own an advanced TCR model already .

Looks like the sl is my 1 st choice as it has di2 and is cheaper to boot

gavin

by gavin

Hi Guys just wondering your thoughts on wheels .

Will the carbon wheels these bikes come on be ok in the mountains or will i need an Aluminium rim ?

mimason

by mimason

gavin, that's a hard question to answer and I prefer neither for fast descents. Technically, if you don't ride your brakes and overheat the rims the Giant wheels are good but the aluminum rims will brake better and generally safer. I'd avoid latex tubes for this type of riding as well.

In order of my preference in the mountains:

Tubulars>tubless>st. clinchers

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If you are blasting up and down really big mountain passes, then get some rock solid alloys. Takes a lot of worry out of the equation. Save the carbon clinchers for other situations. If you are racing on closed roads, well that is another matter.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

gavin

by gavin

mimason wrote:gavin, that's a hard question to answer and I prefer neither for fast descents. Technically, if you don't ride your brakes and overheat the rims the Giant wheels are good but the aluminum rims will brake better and generally safer. I'd avoid latex tubes for this type of riding as well.

In order of my preference in the mountains:

Tubulars>tubless>st. clinchers

Thanks for the response mimasom

I am not sure whether to get a wheel builder to put together some pacenti rims with sapim spokes and DTswiss hubs which work pout 1398g or just buy an off the shelf set of aluminium wheels like fulcrum racing zero or go with shimano c35 dura ace ?

stoney

by stoney

Giant's carbon road wheels are supposed to be tubeless ready if you want to go that route. You wouldn't have to worry about popping a tube while descending in the mountains.

mimason

by mimason

I forgot about Giant being tubeless compatible.

Gavin, that is something for you to decide. Personally I like hand built wheels but I'd look at these with WI hubs.

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/select/

eric

by eric

It's not the size of the descent that is a problem with carbon clinchers, it's the amount of braking. A long 45+ mph descent with little braking is safe- what little heat goes into the rims is convected away by the wind. A short steep technical descent with lots of 15 mph corners will require lots of braking. Slow speeds mean less heat is convected away from the rims so they get hotter. The rim melting or tire carcass coming apart from heat that I have seen has been on relatively short but steep descents where the rider did lots of braking.

I have used chinese carbon clinchers, with latex tubes, without issue on many long fast descents in the Sierras. Descents ranged from 2800' to 6000'. OTOH I had a rim heat caused tire failure with only 800' of descent on a steep road with very tight corners. Since it's the road I live on, I no longer use carbon clinchers for most training rides.

critRacer03

by critRacer03

The Enve wheels on the black inc are for tubulars and safe to ride in the mountains. Braking could be better tho.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mergeforthekill

by mergeforthekill

Pretty darn good deal on Some Pacenti SL23's

http://www.novemberbicycles.com/featured-build/