Where would you cut weight off this build?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I just recently switched to Conti Supersonic tubes at 49g. each. I have used them before but with mixed results. However I think my previous problems were due to running too high of a pressure (120psi). Now I run 90psi with wide tires and rims. So far no issues. Besides weight savings you'd get reduced rolling resistance. I buy them in bulk so they weren't too expensive from a normal tube.

I have the Extralite Aliens 4 QR and they are fantastic. Every bit as functional as a heavy QR but without the weight. Well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I think there are areas in which we wouldn't want to cut weight or things we don't want to change and without knowing what they are it's rather hard for the forum to make suggestions. Maybe you guys let us know what you are looking to change? For eg. It wouldn't be useful for us to make suggestions for cockpit or saddle if you are sure you want to stick to what you have.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

pdlpsher1 wrote:I just recently switched to Conti Supersonic tubes at 49g. each. I have used them before but with mixed results. However I think my previous problems were due to running too high of a pressure (120psi). Now I run 90psi with wide tires and rims. So far no issues. Besides weight savings you'd get reduced rolling resistance. I buy them in bulk so they weren't too expensive from a normal tube.

I have the Extralite Aliens 4 QR and they are fantastic. Every bit as functional as a heavy QR but without the weight. Well worth it.

Hey

Yeah I think I will go with Aliens4. I looked at Streeters which are 10g lighter but I sort of don't trust how delicate they look. 39g Aliens4 seem like the perfect balance of very light while still being functional.

Aliens4 are 135mm on the rear so how much thread sticks out the end on your bike (assuming you are not running discs)

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

TheDarkInstall wrote:Aliens4 are 135mm on the rear so how much thread sticks out the end on your bike (assuming you are not running discs)

About 5mm. I had to cut off some on the front one as well.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thanks. That is not a problem, and is even more weight saving.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Don't forget the pedals - can't find a verified weight for the 7900's but assume they are going to be around 250g. Sub 200g should be fairly easy to achieve without spending too much cash (from memory by Look Carbon Blades with Ti spindles are about 180g).

xena
Banned

by xena

Just take a look at some of the WW bikes on this thread and you can drop a whole bunch of weight depending how much you want to compromise and your budget. Good luck
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

Beancouter

by Beancouter

Oh, and don't forget bottle cages - all carbon is not the same! I have mandibles which are great but heavy (ca 27g each) - I also have some Chinese cheapies (ca 13g each from memory).

xena
Banned

by xena

I have smud 3grms and a tune 4grms so there , Mine are lighter than yours :lol:
Xena a demi god among the digital demimonde that is WW community

http://i.imgur.com/hL5v3ai.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499@N02/

KarlC

by KarlC

addictR1 wrote:Hi Karl yea.. I followed your thread. The frame weight between TMR02 and 01 is very different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Really ?? I thought that the TMR01 and TMR02 where the same except for the fork ?
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

addictR1

by addictR1

Karl,

Here's the fork

Here's the frame with rear brake caliper still on it.

pretty heavy frameset... but lovely ride.