New wider & heavier Fulcrum RZ wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

critRacer03

by critRacer03

My favourite alu clinchers, the Fulcrum Racing Zero wheels have been redesigned for 2017 to give less aero drag with fat 28c and 25c tyres. Making the rim wider than before means 28c & 25c tyres can now be fitted with a more square profile for better aerodynamics.
The price is 70g added weight and the old version probably has less aero drag with 23c tyres compared to the new version with 25c.
What do you think?
I am not sure I like this. Has the wide rim hype gone to far?

duvivr6

by duvivr6

In my opinion, I have had wide and regular width wheels, it has not make any difference in my feel.

What does make a difference is tire choice and air pressure. I also have a set of Racing Zeros and I really enjoy them, but the weight is part of what I got them. They are not cheap so making them heavier would probably sway me into other wheel choices.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

superdx

by superdx

Wider rims do make a lot of difference at least for me. The same 25c tires on a narrow wheel vs. a wider wheel feels a lot more planted. I don't have the equipment to measure rolling resistance but it's clearly a lot faster, though that probably is down to training.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

I could live with these.70g given on wider rims, tyres in 25c roll faster