Any saddle and seatpost combination weight 200 grams?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nrsnow

by nrsnow

So my saddle and seatpost weigh a hefty 538gr. I was looking to spend about $100 for a saddle and seatpost combo weighing 200 grams. Anyone know of such a setup. I'm not new to weight weenie world, I know ax-lightness and Schmolke seat and saddle combo would get me to less than 200grams total but I'm not looking to spend $500.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2lo8

by 2lo8

A very cut down Hylix or the like seatpost and a cheap Chinese full carbon saddle?
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

RussellS

by RussellS

nrsnow wrote:I was looking to spend about $100 for a saddle and seatpost combo weighing 200 grams. I know ax-lightness and Schmolke seat and saddle combo would get me to less than 200grams total but I'm not looking to spend $500.

$100? Did this website become some sort of fantasy land thing weird goofy people go to? Starbike has a AX seatpost for 284 Euros weighing 95 to 165 grams. And an AX saddle for 298 Euros weighing 69 grams. Starbike has a Schmolke seatpost for 293 Euros weighing 90 grams. And a MCFK saddle for 239 Euros weighing 66 grams. So your cost estimate for AX and Schmolke are close to accurate. Your $100 combo is fantasy land top of the mountain.

McGilli

by McGilli

You can now buy 95g saddles for $17 on ali express - I'm looking at them right now. I have one - but mine was a pricier Hylix and I tuned mine down to 88g easily.

Seatpost - I bought a nice Hylix for I think ... $65 a year ago... 115g

It's very possible - and you can get all the same stuff from Ebay - although they still come from China.

2lo8

by 2lo8

For the record, I really don't like the basic Aspide copy Chinese carbon saddle. It's not the hardness or lack of flex, but rather the fact that the edges aren't rounded much at all. It does come in at quoted weight though.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I've had two of the troupe style carbon saddles, both snapped. It was a real shame as the saddle was extremely comfy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marin

by Marin

RussellS wrote:$100? Did this website become some sort of fantasy land thing weird goofy people go to?

No, this website has become some sort of luxury supermarket where people think all the have to do is spend $$$ and they get the best and lightest bike.

Kudos to anyone who sets himself more limits than just "I want a light bike cost is no object since I'm a dentist/lawyer/hedgefund manager/have no life

:D

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

My cut down Hylix (27.2mm) and 'unbranded' carbon saddle came out at a few grams under 250g and cost me less than £60 for the pair.

gravity

by gravity

RussellS wrote:$100? Did this website become some sort of fantasy land thing weird goofy people go to? ... Your $100 combo is fantasy land top of the mountain.

Man why are you so angry? :lol:

stevec1975

by stevec1975

My Smud Saddle (70g) and Token TK9143 post (shortened + graphics removed to 116g), so 186 grams total and cost £130 GBP.
Last edited by stevec1975 on Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

I'm looking for a similar think to the OP.
250g is easy, it's getting the 100g seatpost that's the hard find.
I've found a 148g hylix in line post at £45.
Is there anything lighter under £80/$100?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lewolive

by lewolive

noname saddles are sometimes a good compromise. For seatposts, I think it's important to choose a good brand because it's a more complicated part to manufacture. Stiffness is something very important when you buy a seatpost because seatpost is a link to your expensive frame and you'll loose stiffness if your seatpost is not good enough. Moreover, you need to consider the quality of the hardware of the seatpost, something important to save weight and keep stiffness.
The longer your seatpost is, the stiffest it should be.
I'm riding an Enve seatpost 27,2 and it's just perfect compared with my previous Easton and even better than my original Canyon. Enve might be a little heavy, but it's super stiff and high quality.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

RussellS wrote:
nrsnow wrote:I was looking to spend about $100 for a saddle and seatpost combo weighing 200 grams. I know ax-lightness and Schmolke seat and saddle combo would get me to less than 200grams total but I'm not looking to spend $500.

$100? Did this website become some sort of fantasy land thing weird goofy people go to? Starbike has a AX seatpost for 284 Euros weighing 95 to 165 grams. And an AX saddle for 298 Euros weighing 69 grams. Starbike has a Schmolke seatpost for 293 Euros weighing 90 grams. And a MCFK saddle for 239 Euros weighing 66 grams. So your cost estimate for AX and Schmolke are close to accurate. Your $100 combo is fantasy land top of the mountain.

What's your bike? Huh troll? I had my share of Ax-Lightness wheels, Extralite, Tune components! Those are items you will never ever purchase in your life. So shut up! I'm on here to check out other people opinions/ideas. That's what we're here to do. I

lewolive

by lewolive

If we consider that there are carbon saddles available around $20, it makes sense to find in the future combos saddle and seatposts at $100 with a weight around 200g. However, if we look at quality carbon parts, saddles are very cheap but it's much harder to find a such quality/price ratio with handlebars and seatposts. For now, I think the final weight would be 250g for a $100 combo. The last 50g would be very very expensive.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com