Campagnolo Rear Derailleur 2015+ Upper Pivot

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

The upper pivot spring seems too tight for me to set the derailleur to specifications, and I'm getting lousy shifts in some gears. On prior versions, you could take apart the upper pivot and there were two positions for the spring. Can this be done on the newer systems?

Notes:
Chorus
Campy cassettes and chain
I already tightened the lower pivot with little effect
Hanger is aligned
Colnago Extreme Power

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

Yes, you can do this. My RD had 4 positions

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

beeatnik

by beeatnik

Try a KMC chain. For realz.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Colnago hangers are pretty much at the max (according to Campy specs) of 28mm in length from the axle to the derailleur bolt. This positions the derailleur such that it makes for easier wheel changes but maybe not quite as close to the cogs as a closer hanger might put it. And yes, you can play with putting the spring in different positions. I believe there are just three (what looks like a 4th hole is not intended to be used for this spring). The early 11sp derailleurs (2009) only had two positions for the spring, and they came up with a new replacement part with a third hole that you could position this spring into in case you couldn't clear the 29 cog when they came out with the 12/29 cassette a year later.

If you try this, pay particular attention to which hole the spring is in upon disassembly. You'll have to figure out which of the other holes you want to use but it should enable you to get the pulleys a little closer to the cassette once done. I've done this. Not sure I noticed a difference in shifting other than the psychological aspect of knowing I had changed something so it must be better, as it seemed to be shifting perfectly before. I just wanted to see if it could be better.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Ebruner

by Ebruner

Stick with Campagnolo Chains.

-Eddie

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I'm not sure what derailleur you guys are looking at. I took it (2016 Chorus) apart last night. There is only one setting for the spring.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The holes are in the toothed wheel that engages with the adjusting screw.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I would have called that the lower pivot. I was referring to the upper pivot where the hanger attaches to the frame

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Hmmm... Nothing you can adjust re the hanger bolt assembly. There's a new adjusting screw that goes into the derailleur stop on the hanger but on a Colnago I think screwing that in will make it even harder to get where you want to. Exactly what is it that is not cooperating for you? What "spec" are you trying to achieve?

morrisond

by morrisond

Where is it set stock and what happens if you move it to one side or the other?

I get kind of wonking shifting as well when I come down the block. It works fine for the first 5 or 6 gears then doesn't shift as well.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

It sometimes doesn't shift even though the derailleur has moved into position - mostly in the center cogs and worse on the large chainring. In first gear, the jockey wheel is more than an inch from the cassette. My analysis is that the chain has so much tension that it won't release from the prior cog.
I was able to improve shifting by loosening the lower spring (the opposite of Campy instructions).
I am getting none of the benefits of the "embrace" because the jockey wheels are below, not in front of, the cassette.

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

Can you post a picture for us? Give us a couple different angles if you wouldn't mind

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

@Joeyb1000: when you say "in first gear" are you referring to small chainring/largest cog? And you have more than an inch of space between the cog and the upper jockey wheel at that position? If that's the case, I'd advise you to take it somewhere to get looked at. Something is very wrong with your setup. I can't begin to guess what it might be, especially with no pics.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Remove RD and see if c-clip is broken/missing. You need not unship cable to do this.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

See fix. It took about an hour. Hardest part was getting the new style clip off. Shifting is now perfect both up and down.
Attachments
This shows the distance with chain on small CR and largest cog
This shows the distance with chain on small CR and largest cog
shows orientation of derailleur in large CR and middle cog
shows orientation of derailleur in large CR and middle cog
So, I did what  think Campy should have done. I added an additional hole for the spring (see white spot in photo)
So, I did what think Campy should have done. I added an additional hole for the spring (see white spot in photo)
Same as first photo, but after the fix.
Same as first photo, but after the fix.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com