Di2 stops working in the heat

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mgordon

by mgordon

I've had the exact same problem, when it is over 100f.

No lights, no Di2 activity until I sit in the shade for 20mins.

Never been able to figure anything out. I did bring it to a shop with diagnostic box and they were not able to see any issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

9070 or 7900 Di2?

I've had some issues with both, which always eventually were tracked down to a loose connection and/or faulty wire. Solved those, and no problems afterwards.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

mgordon

by mgordon

Mine is 9070. It's always possible it's a connection issue but the fact that it fixes itself after only a little while in the shade indicates otherwise.

My bike is all black; aluminum, with an internal battery.

I plan to "solve" the problem by buying the new 9100 Di2!

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

black alloy would get hotter than the out side temp in direct sunlight pretty fast..

Stueys

by Stueys

Think of all the complicated electrical equipment that works well in high heat, it's not the heat that is the issue. DI2 is normally a connection problem. Make sure the battery connection is clean and on nice and tight and then repeat for the junction box. Failing that try another battery to see.

kode54

by kode54

i overheat before my Di2 does. internal battery in seat post. no issues at all with that. me? its going to hit 100 today.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Been there, done that and have the "#¤%ing T-shirt.

Meaning that it has happened to me and a folk from my club, in South Africa and Majorca. Impossible to trace the fault as we were far away from home and the systems began to work after a while.

jezmd

by jezmd

Hi

Have you had anymore info on this issue - Im in France and a friend has had exaclty the same issue - DURA ACE Di2 dies in the heat and then recovers. First time we drove in a car 45mins to LBS and the air con had cooled the bike down enough to reverse the effect
Two other ultegra Di2s on the same rides were unnaffected. I cross connected the batteries and the external junction boxes and they worked on the unaffected bike, but not on the affected bike meaning it was prob the internal junction box....but why????

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Semiconductors work up until like 105C typically. Lithium ion chemistry should be good through that range too. I'd be highly skeptical that any human tolerable temperature would cause anything in that system to fail. If you have a loose connection, thermal expansion could cause something to intermittently disconnect. Same if there was moisture in the system.

sungod

by sungod

electronic systems can suffer heat faults, there're umpteen different mechanisms, depends on the component

burning in at increased temperature is a standard technique for catching marginal components, and also for accelerating failure in general (even within stated operating temperature range)

stuff fails

if you've eliminated poor connections and tried different batteries, maybe it's just bad, time for warranty

jekyll man

by jekyll man

jezmd wrote:Hi

Have you had anymore info on this issue - Im in France and a friend has had exaclty the same issue - DURA ACE Di2 dies in the heat and then recovers. First time we drove in a car 45mins to LBS and the air con had cooled the bike down enough to reverse the effect
Two other ultegra Di2s on the same rides were unnaffected. I cross connected the batteries and the external junction boxes and they worked on the unaffected bike, but not on the affected bike meaning it was prob the internal junction box....but why????

Similar to this?
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=145089
Official cafe stop tester