Depreciation on "exlusive" frames and bike choice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fogman

by fogman

It is an investment in your health. Buy a bike you love to ride and you will ride it more, burn more calories and have a healthier heart. My $10,000 road bike just hit 10,000 miles in 2 years, so I am at $1.00/mile (not including maintenance).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

eaglejackson

by eaglejackson

If you want to see what used bikes are worth, check out Ebay. There are quite a number of De Rosas listed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

1. Cheaper bikes loses much less value. Even if you got it secondhand.

2. More common brands loses less value too. Don't expect a De Rosa to move as easily as a Cervelo.

2lo8

by 2lo8

The above is true, just think of what a second hand buyer wants in a bike.

They want affordable, that's why they're buying second hand, returns start falling rapidly when you leave the affordable range. They want a common brand because that's how they look for available bikes, by searching for common brands.
[14lb(6.35kg) of no carbon fiber]
[2lo8.wordpress.com]
Your one-stop source for information and reviews on cheap eBay bike junk.

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Snowmen wrote:Hi guys ...

... but I am hesitant because of the still very high price

there's your answer. trying to find justification and rationale in terms of best-hope future-resale-value wont really work

AJS914

by AJS914

I just sold my Marin carbon hardtail and it took two months of price reductions to sell. It was a $4200 bike (2012) and nobody was remotely interested at $2000, $1800, $1700, and $1600. I finally got $1500 which was fine because that it was I paid for it last summer. And this bike had maybe 25 rides on it and looked like new. I also had it on ebay for $1699 and didn't even get a single low-ball offer.

I guess my point is that selling a Stumpjumper is a lot easier than selling a less well known brand/model. There are just more buyers for a popular model. For less common bikes you almost have to go to ebay to find the buyer.

Here's another data point. I replaced the Marin with a full suspension Specialized Camber. I paid $3300 for a 2015 model Camber that the guy had about $8000 into (XX1 drivetrain upgrade & Roval Control carbon wheels upgrade). So, I paid 40% for a 1 to 1.5 year old bike.

You should get what you like to ride. Why do you have to flip it in a year? Certainly a Specialized will be easier to sell than a De Rosa.

Snowmen

by Snowmen

I'll probably sell the bike in a two or three years because I can rinse and repeat. The more I think about it, the less it makes sense... I think I'm gonna be going for a Cervélo R5 since I could get it for 1000$ less in Dura Ace Di2 (instead of Super Record mech) and also get HED Ardennes wheels instead of no wheels. The heart says De Rosa but I can't convince myself!

Thank you guys for all your opinions and the figures you've provided, very appreciated.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Bikes depreciate fast, even the 'big' makes.

There are some amazing bargains to be had if you look on Ebay and in the forums. For example, a new Sworks Tarmac frameset is about £3000 or $4000. You can pick up the old model SL4 in mint condition for way less than £1000, sometimes as low as £750 or so. There is very little difference between the 2 models (I have both).

Not sure why such a big price difference, but you have to REALLY want that latest model......

BRM

by BRM

When buying a new bike your first focus needs to be on fit, handling and purpose of the bike.
I see none of that. Only talk about resale value and mentioning expensive frames and parts.
Seems you lack knowledge when asking things about resale value, Campa record vs SR
You want a special / glamour bike.

This shows me you are a Boutique rider . . . .

You reveal you want an expensive bike and now is the time because you can get some cheaper.
Prices are your concern, restvalue is your concern. You go for a Cervelo because you can get it cheaper.
This shows you want an expensive bike but hardly can afford.

:wink:

Reorganise your thoughts.
Start to make a blueprint of the virtual bike that suits you the most.
Focus on purpose, handling, geometry, fit, personal preferences, budget.
Then with this blueprint you try to find which bikes match.

kgt

by kgt

Something that will keep its value:

US $120,000.00 already

jmaccyd

by jmaccyd

I think the only brand that seems to hold 'value' seems to be Colnago. Otherwise, most stuff seems to depreciate rather steeply.

jimborello

by jimborello

Colnago is one of the most expensive bikes but it also keeps a good resale value. In the end the relation $/mile is pretty much the same as the cheaper brands. But in my case stopped buying carbon bikes as they usually lose their value as soon as something new comes out, but steel and titanium bikes seem to age better as they are a little more classic (and the ride is awesome)

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Kayrehn wrote:1. Cheaper bikes loses much less value. Even if you got it secondhand.

2. More common brands loses less value too. Don't expect a De Rosa to move as easily as a Cervelo.

Kayrehn nailed it. You will lose a lot less money on a mid-range vs. high-end bike, plus your potential market and demand is bigger. I see a lot of high-end bikes sitting on the used market once the used price gets over around $2K CDN.

And here in Canada, the Cervelo brand has a great deal of allure for the average Joe Schmoe bike buyer, just like Trek enjoys in the US.