New frame - what BB to use

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AlanR

by AlanR

Hi All.

I currently have a Giant TCR Advanced that has been repaired after a break (I inherited it). I'm looking to buy a new frame but to use my current groupset, which is a mixture of Campag Record and Chorus. I have push fit cups for the 11-speed Chorus Ultra Torque crankset but would like to buy a frame with a threaded BB cup set. I know a lot depends on the frame width but if someone could even decipher which type of BB would be suitable for the Campag...BB68, BSA...or should I just stick with the BB30? I'm looking at a Venge or Dogma F8.

BTW - first post here...nice place!

Alan.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Dogma has Italian threaded bottom bracket.
Venge has OSBB press fit bottom bracket.
Two completely different standards.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I think the OP is asking which BB to go with in order to use his Ultratorque cranks. And that depends on the frame you get. All you will need to do is get a new set of cups to match whichever frame you choose. The Dogma uses Italian threaded cups (don't ask me why) and it is probably one of the few frames you'll find outside custom steel and ti builders where you can even get a threaded bb these days. But first decide on the frame you want then just get the appropriate BB adapters to fit your Ultratorque crank. Shouldn't be a problem.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AlanR

by AlanR

Thanks folks.

I was more concerned about the width being off-standard. But I fully appreciate the advice...it helps for someone to reply directly than rely on a Google search!!

Alan

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The Dogma should have a shell width of 70mm if it's Italian, versus 68mm for the BSA (English threads). The external threaded cups you get will take that into account. Also, if you get a pressfit type frame, the cups will locate the bearings in the right place internally within the shell. Your crank, however, will be fine. Just make sure you get the right adapters, might want to look at something like Praxis Works as well.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ