What should I upgrade?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

leej88

by leej88

It has been around 5 years since I got my first road bike and I've been riding on and off. Took a 2 year hiatus around 2014 and recently decided to get back to riding to keep my weight down and waist size in check.

Did a full service on my bike (checked the bearings, cleaned and re-oiled the chains, etc....) and read up on the advancements in road bike technology.

It seems that electronic shifting and disc brakes has proliferated over the past half decade or so and it's hard not to be bitten by the *upgraditis* bug.

I've managed to get a good deal on the newer TIME Skylon (and then again I've heard rumors of a new flag ship from reliable sources) and was wondering if I should sell of my current frame to stay relevant and also to please myself.

On top of that, it seems that Campagnolo is now offering a Super Record EPS V3 upgrade kit where I can change out my shifters, rear + front D and the DTI + battery unit.

I happen to have an old pair of Clavicula cranks that I've decided to keep and I'm on LW OB GEN III's.

Would love to hear some of your opinions on whether or not I should go ahead with these upgrades or should I just port over the existing components and wheels of my old bike over to a new frame.

Your opinions will be greatly appreciated as I've been away for way too long.

Here's an old photo of my current setup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nycebo

by nycebo

If you're not electronic, I'd likely go that route. It would really be a tough call what with the new Shimano Di2 on the horizon.

Also, do you have a power meter?

leej88

by leej88

nycebo wrote:If you're not electronic, I'd likely go that route. It would really be a tough call what with the new Shimano Di2 on the horizon.

Also, do you have a power meter?

I've been tempted by Electronic shifting as they were introduced around 09/10.

Would prefer to stay on Campy as I don't dig the Shimano looks.

However, what irks me is that there's been a couple of bike shops telling me how finnicky and problematic EPS can be.

nycebo

by nycebo

Always remember that form should follow function in cycling. Shimano is basically bullet proof. Another alternative option that is super appealing is SRAM eTap. You wouldn't have to deal with wires at all and I've heard good things from my couple friends that already ride it.

FWIW, I like the look of your bike. If it isn't causing you any troubles, I'd try to squeak another couple years out of it. And, eTap is an EASY transfer. ;-)